Star Wars - The Last Jedi

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Star Wars - The Last Jedi
« on: 20 Dec 2017, 08:32 am »
Saw this today, great installment in the now eight volume series.  Thoroughly enjoyed the movie that takes place seemingly moments after the end of episode VII.  Lots of action with good character development, the movie moves right along and you don't ever realize you're in a 2 1/2 hour show.  Of course it leaves a path to episode IX, but it feels like a complete movie on its own that answers more questions than it leaves open.  A must see for all fans of the series.

A side note, we saw it in 3D, not our preference but all the good seats were taken in regular digital screenings (we almost exclusively go to AMC with reserved recliner seating).  It looks like a lot of people are rejecting the 3D viewing experience for old time 2D.

charmerci

Re: Star Wars - The Last Jedi
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2017, 04:44 pm »
But what did you think of the 3D experience?

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2017, 07:05 pm »
So did they blow a sun converted to laser beam for blowing up other suns?

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2017, 07:42 pm »
TLJ is probably as good as it's going to get for the new Star Wars movies. It is a great movie on its own. However, it's clear as day that they completely rewrote whatever they originally had in mind. Last Jedi is tonally a sequel to a movie that doesn't exist. The dynamics that were setup in Force Awakens are pretty much tossed away. I imagine when you watch both Force Awakens and Last Jedi back to back it's going to be a little jarring. The fact that JJ Abrams is only NOW pitching an idea for the third film gives away how much must have been re-shot and re-written, so the last film is going to be a hot mess.

That said, on its own merits, Last Jedi is thematically rich and the performances are excellent. Wonderful twists, and a finale that will mean a lot to those of us who grew up with the originals while opening the door to a new generation. In fact the whole movie grapples with letting go of the old and being open to the new and it does this in very moving ways. So it's a must see and relish it because JJ is now back for the third so you know it's just going to nonsense spectacle. These movies are after all, just pure machine product at this point, and it kind of shows.
But Last Jedi manages to be a product with heart.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2017, 09:56 pm »
TLJ is probably as good as it's going to get for the new Star Wars movies. It is a great movie on its own. However, it's clear as day that they completely rewrote whatever they originally had in mind. Last Jedi is tonally a sequel to a movie that doesn't exist. The dynamics that were setup in Force Awakens are pretty much tossed away. I imagine when you watch both Force Awakens and Last Jedi back to back it's going to be a little jarring. The fact that JJ Abrams is only NOW pitching an idea for the third film gives away how much must have been re-shot and re-written, so the last film is going to be a hot mess.

That said, on its own merits, Last Jedi is thematically rich and the performances are excellent. Wonderful twists, and a finale that will mean a lot to those of us who grew up with the originals while opening the door to a new generation. In fact the whole movie grapples with letting go of the old and being open to the new and it does this in very moving ways. So it's a must see and relish it because JJ is now back for the third so you know it's just going to nonsense spectacle. These movies are after all, just pure machine product at this point, and it kind of shows.

Very eloquently stated wushuliu! I would like to also add that Benicio del Toro was an absolute hoot!

Best,
Anand.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2017, 10:29 pm »
Although I havent watched The last jedi yet , I hope its not like the Force Awakens as that movie had a Disney/Nickalodean/kiddie type of feel to it....I prefer The Originals and the Prequel like the Phantom Menace.

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2017, 11:17 pm »
Although I havent watched The last jedi yet , I hope its not like the Force Awakens as that movie had a Disney/Nickalodean/kiddie type of feel to it....I prefer The Originals and the Prequel like the Phantom Menace.

Then you will like last Jedi. In some ways it is the most 'mature' of all the star wars AND also the funniest believe it or not. Second best Jedi fight next to Return throne room.

dwk

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2017, 10:46 pm »
I quite liked TFA - I thought it was faced with a very difficult task of trying to reboot a franchise while still building on it. I though it did hew too closely to the plot beats of ANH, but the fact that the characters were in very different (internal) places while navigating that plot made up for it.

I'm still trying to figure out where I come down on TLJ. It'll probably take a 2nd viewing.

Walking out of the theater, I really liked it. I liked that he went in some different-ish directions, and it leaves Episode 9 a much wider set of options than I was expecting it to.

However, there is a lot of valid criticism being leveled at the plotting and at some aspects of the movie that undermines/alters some of what has gone before. In the moment, these didn't bother me too much, but I'm not sure they won't become more significant to me as things sink in.

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2017, 11:51 pm »
Well, I just saw it after not reading the above stuff since I posted the above.

I thought it was really good as I watch movies with an open mind. However, my reaction after leaving was - since I'm attached to the originals, I don't need  to see the new ones as they come out - because, for those who have seen it, they've "moved on" from the originals. I can wait for the following ones to come out on video.

The thing I like about this one is that - as I've often thought about the others - I didn't think, "well, if they could do that, why didn't they just do that earlier?" That is - using the force or as I call it in other movies, magic.

But I can see why they've "changed" things, they have to move on because then it's just the same story over and over again.

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2018, 07:13 am »

I think in the past we've seen things pretty differently with more films than not, but I agree with everything you said here. I was accidentally spoiled in two big ways before the film (some MMA fighter just blurted out the biggest spoiler on Twitter like an a-hole), but it actually ended up being a positive, I think. I was already processing the "what" beforehand, so when it went down on screen, I had the luxury of just filling in the "why" and the "how". I agree completely that this was a huge left turn from Force Awakens, and the 3rd installment is not set up hardly at all. On the one hand it seems like all the potential story arcs from TFA went out the window...on the other, I suppose it leaves things open ended to where we can go in just about any direction. But the latter sort of defeats the purpose of a the trilogy concept. But overall I gave Jedi high marks. I had fun, I felt like the performances were solid, and I was okay with the two big spoiler/outcomes.

Now I just have to prepare to cringe trying to see someone actually pull off the role of Han Solo. Expectations will need to be uber low going in, I think, because Han Solo is perhaps the icon of icons to someone like me. Arguably my favorite film character ever, and one that I've been emotionally attached to and involved with since I was five years old. It's very easy for me to feel almost offended that Disney would dare even consider such a project. I think Donald Glover will probably crush the Lando role, and we'll have Chewie as sort of a familiarity bridge...but ultimately there's only one Han Solo.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2018, 06:06 am »
Lots of thoughtful stuff here.  I'm a SW fan from 1977--I saw the so-called 'The New Hope' 13 times in theater release, but I never did warm to episodes 1 thru 3.

TLJ I thought was way too long and too complicated  It was nice seeing Mark Hamill and Carie Fisher again, but if I never again see John Boyega the Wimp in a movie, that'll be just fine.  Daisy Ridley, however, was the best part of the movie.  She's a fine actor and was always a pleasure to see on screen.  It'll certainly be a 'oncer' for me.

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2018, 07:26 am »
Lots of thoughtful stuff here.  I'm a SW fan from 1977--I saw the so-called 'The New Hope' 13 times in theater release, but I never did warm to episodes 1 thru 3.

TLJ I thought was way too long and too complicated  It was nice seeing Mark Hamill and Carie Fisher again, but if I never again see John Boyega the Wimp in a movie, that'll be just fine.  Daisy Ridley, however, was the best part of the movie.  She's a fine actor and was always a pleasure to see on screen.  It'll certainly be a 'oncer' for me.

I honestly don't know what they were doing with Boyega this film. He had a pretty integral role in Force Awakens, but in Jedi he was just sort of shoved off into the margin to give him something to do. Very odd. Couldn't agree more about Daisy. Fantastic casting.

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2018, 03:05 pm »
Funny that all of liked it so much. On AVSforum, there's a thread there where the fanboys tore apart the movie saying there were more plot holes than a monster block of swiss cheese. Many did not like it at all!!

groovybassist

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2018, 03:11 pm »
I’m among the group that didn’t like it at all. I felt the entire movie was aimed at merchandising to kids, the plot was predictable and acting was awful.

I long for someone to make a serious, adult, thoughtful Star Wars movie that isn’t entirely a CG extravaganza. I guess this puts me out of touch with the current reality of Star Wars. As far as I’m concerned, TLJ could have been made without any actual humans acting in it and come out the same. Maybe I’m just an old codger!

wushuliu

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2018, 04:35 pm »
I’m among the group that didn’t like it at all. I felt the entire movie was aimed at merchandising to kids, the plot was predictable and acting was awful.

I long for someone to make a serious, adult, thoughtful Star Wars movie that isn’t entirely a CG extravaganza. I guess this puts me out of touch with the current reality of Star Wars. As far as I’m concerned, TLJ could have been made without any actual humans acting in it and come out the same. Maybe I’m just an old codger!

Your wish is coming true:

https://movieweb.com/dune-remake-star-wars-for-adults-director-denis-villeneuve/

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2018, 05:02 pm »
I enjoyed TLJ quite a bit - I really like the new look and feel that the Disney productions bring to the trilogy.  I don't really understand the griping about Star Wars movies not being sophisticated enough or that they are aimed toward a young audience.  Seriously, take a fresh look at the original trilogy - it too is not particularly sophisticated and it's pretty much aimed at teenagers. 

What I notice about people that lionize the original trilogy is they selectively focus on/remember the mature parts of the movies and forget/discount the 'kiddie' stuff.  And then they complain that the newer movies are too kid oriented!  Haha.

The other thing I see is that most fans of the OT saw it when they were young and in subsequent years have become more surly.  I equate their carping about the new movies as the equivalent of:

OzarkTom

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jan 2018, 03:06 am »
A cool Star Wars prop?

groovybassist

« Reply #17 on: 22 Jan 2018, 03:35 am »
Tyson:

Thanks for respecting my opinion. Now, Get Off My Lawn!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 22 Jan 2018, 03:56 am »
Tyson:

Thanks for respecting my opinion. Now, Get Off My Lawn!

Haha, thanks for being a good sport about it :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jan 2018, 04:37 pm »
I thought there were some decent scenes. Plot holes? YA THERE WERE. The entire movie a plot hole. It literally doesn't make sense.

Did I like the movie? Hell no. Endless stupidness in it... trashed characters, etc. The Last Jedi, or the Last Starwars Movie I Pay $ For?

It literally felt like Lucas got his old man hands on it so he could make use hate it, just like the digital remasters of the original trilogy.

As far as I'm concerned, Rogue One is the standard to which modern Star Wars movies need to AT LEAST make it to. It was pretty good, not perfect, but pretty good. It had the right amount of humor, and nothing super annoying or out of character. The one thing it needed to do however was just NOT HAVE PRINCESS LEIA TURN AROUND and it would have been much better. Well that and have someone play Admiral Tarken, not CGI.