Netflix: What to watch?

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
Re: Netflix: What to watch?
« Reply #20 on: 6 Mar 2013, 05:50 pm »
Hi,I think Jeff B was right on with the Worlds Fastest Indian.The best (feel good)movie I've seen maybe ever! I don't want to ruin it,but it's about a motorcycle and a will,not a western. Here's one that is streamed from your computer. If you liked Das Boot,the German sub movie,you will like Downfall, a German movie about the last days of Hitler.The guy who plays Hitler should of won some sort of academy award,a very dark movie,totally accurate. One more,Paradise Alley. This was Sly Stallones movie following the first Rocky,the soundtrack nails it with Stallone singing,his brother Frank,really good big band singer today,Tom Waits, gravel voice and all,and Bill Conti's sound track music,a little corny but worth watching....Mark K.

TrungT

« Reply #21 on: 1 Apr 2013, 02:06 am »
For those Adrenaline Junkie check out:

Nitro Circus: The Movie

cujobob

« Reply #22 on: 1 Apr 2013, 02:35 am »
I agree with a lot of stuff mentioned, but you must watch The IT Crowd. British comedy, two of the main actors have gone onto some success in the U.S. since. The show is ridiculous but hilarious.

wilsynet

« Reply #23 on: 1 Apr 2013, 02:52 am »
If you missed it on AMC, "The Killing" is now on Netflix.

orthobiz

« Reply #24 on: 1 Apr 2013, 02:55 am »
Google this:

complex.com netflix

and you will see several lists. Interesting to wade through, some are already OFF Netflix!

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #25 on: 1 Apr 2013, 03:13 am »
Some great edgy, dark and sometimes vulgar cartoon series out there too. Check out Archer and Metalocalypse.

Premise of Metalocalypse is great for music fans: Imagine that a metal band is the greatest cultural force on the planet.

TrungT

« Reply #26 on: 1 Apr 2013, 08:19 am »
+1  :thumb:
"The Killing"

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #27 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:49 pm »
I agree with a lot of stuff mentioned, but you must watch The IT Crowd. British comedy, two of the main actors have gone onto some success in the U.S. since. The show is ridiculous but hilarious.

+1!   :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #28 on: 13 Apr 2013, 06:14 pm »
You know what I love about Netflix? It's that everybody has Netflix. Netflix and Vudu HD, I want both these companies to do well.

wilsynet

« Reply #29 on: 13 Apr 2013, 10:32 pm »
What you like about Netflix is that it's popular?  In other words, you like doing what everybody else is doing?

Rclark

« Reply #30 on: 13 Apr 2013, 11:14 pm »
Yes, I like that they have a lot of subscribers and therefore quality of titles and the service itself can keep going up.

They seem to be making high quality miniseries' now, there was just House of Cards and a new one is coming.

saeyedoc

« Reply #31 on: 15 Apr 2013, 03:25 pm »
Sons of Anarchy, great series, now if they would only bring out season 4 before season 5 starts.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #32 on: 15 Apr 2013, 06:04 pm »
Watched "World's Fastest Indian" based on recommendation here, and gotta say I enjoyed it.  It's pretty much a feel good movie all the way through, though not too saccharine, and without any major rough spots for artificial dramatic effect, and gotta say that was actually quite refreshing for a change. 

Otherwise seems like there's not enough quality content I want to watch on Netflix streaming, though this feeling comes & goes.  Guess I should check out more TV series or dig deeper.  Keep the suggestions coming!

wushuliu

« Reply #33 on: 15 Apr 2013, 06:16 pm »
Between the Folds - very interesting documentary about origami

Excellent documentary. This is what sets Netflix above the rest - the sheer breadth of documentaries, classic films, and foreign films and television. There are/were some great and relatively obscure 1930s Cary Grant films, a GREAT Ingrid Bergman/Anthony Perkins film called Goodbye Again, Elliott Gould/Robert Blake 'original' buddy cop flick Busting, ;Documentaries: Between The Folds, Helvetica, Queen of Versailles, Steinway Piano doc 'Note by Note' (very cool!), Ken Burns Jazz and Baseball and Lewis and Clark and Thomas Jefferson; Foreign films like 'Mahabottein' and The Sicilian Girl, British Series like Being Human and Gavin and Stacey and classic Doctor Who(!!!) on and on and on and on.  All in HD quality.

Their original programming is a testament to this when you consider the broad range of ground they are covering - Lilyhammer, House of Cards, Arrested Development, Upcoming Sci-fi Wachowski series, A horror series premiering this month... all high quality productions to have HBO look over their shoulder (which is the goal, I believe).

If someone is looking for the very latest movie or series, try somewhere else. If someone is looking to broaden their horizons, Netflix is the best and only option worth considering.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #34 on: 15 Apr 2013, 06:37 pm »
Hi Jarcher, who wouldn't like the World's Fastest Indian,theres no swearing, killing or dying or guns and it's still just a great movie. I agree with you that theres not enough good streaming with Netflix. Hulu Plus gives you a free week of looking but I got out of that deal after a couple hours. I did go over to a freinds house that bought this box that hooks up to your telephone cable called Roku,and he was getting all sorts of new channels with out subscribing to cable tv. I was impressed. Maybe someone who has it could tell you more. Here's one I like while waiting for a Roku review. If your on line go to Hulu, not Hulu Plus,go to watch movies free,documentaries,then write in Secret Weapons of War. I thought I knew all about WW2 until I saw this show. Charlton Heston is the narrator. After one episode is over, 45 minutes or so, the next one comes on automatically. I'm no gun guy but I learned a ton of new info they neglect in the history books. I still say Paradise Alley, Stallone's second movie after Rocky on Netflix is up there with the Indian....Mark Korda

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #35 on: 15 Apr 2013, 06:50 pm »
Hi Jarcher, I forgot one real good Netflix streamer. If your on the Audio Circle then this is a must. It's a Ken Burns overlooked great one. Empire of the Air. It is a documentary about the birth of radio. It starts with Lee de Forest and the invention of the triode or  audion as he called it. Then Armstrong,the inventor of FM.And the founder of RCA David Sarnoff an immigrant from Russia. I have watched this film over 10 times, it's great!...take care Mark Korda

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #36 on: 16 Apr 2013, 03:12 pm »
How about a brilliant Korean film? 'Doomsday Book' contains three short films - all are excellent, but I recommend starting with the 2nd (and strongest) one entitled 'The Heavenly Creature' @ ~38:50. That vignette deals with a topic not unfamiliar to science fiction, but it's the best treatment I have yet witnessed - a beautiful film.

Yes, one has to suffer through reading the English subtitles, but it's very much worth it. I've discovered many foreign films that are well worth that effort.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #37 on: 16 Apr 2013, 05:36 pm »
I have noticed that Netflix streaming is stronger on the foreign + documentary genres than say more recent Hollywood stuff, though I blame Hollywood more for that than Netflix.  So this has skewed my Netflix viewing when I don't have one of their disks at hand.

I put Empire of the Air on my queue - thanks.  One of these days I have to tackle one of Burn's longer series, like "Jazz" or the Civil War one. 

Did see "Doomsday Book" the other night, which was interesting and different.

A netflix streaming recommendation from me: "The Sound of Noise".  A swedish avant-gard movie about a group of anarchist percussionists who run around the city performing movements guerilla style while being chased by a Detective who just want's some peace and quiet.  Sort of "STOMP" or "BLUE MAN GROUP" meets  Beckett, if that makes any sense.  It's much more entertaining than you would think.

Anyone watched the Hatfields & McCoys mini-series? Worth watching?

wushuliu

« Reply #38 on: 4 May 2013, 04:09 am »
I have noticed that Netflix streaming is stronger on the foreign + documentary genres than say more recent Hollywood stuff, though I blame Hollywood more for that than Netflix.  So this has skewed my Netflix viewing when I don't have one of their disks at hand.

I put Empire of the Air on my queue - thanks.  One of these days I have to tackle one of Burn's longer series, like "Jazz" or the Civil War one. 

Did see "Doomsday Book" the other night, which was interesting and different.

A netflix streaming recommendation from me: "The Sound of Noise".  A swedish avant-gard movie about a group of anarchist percussionists who run around the city performing movements guerilla style while being chased by a Detective who just want's some peace and quiet.  Sort of "STOMP" or "BLUE MAN GROUP" meets  Beckett, if that makes any sense.  It's much more entertaining than you would think.

Anyone watched the Hatfields & McCoys mini-series? Worth watching?

Hatfields & McCoys is excellent. Costner and Paxton both bring their A game. Paxton especially is heartbreaking. Not often you get to see him play someone broken and humorless. Tom Berenger is awesome as always, that guy is such a great actor. And what's a quality 'western' without Powers Boothe?

And yes it's pointless to criticize Netflix for not having newer films and tv when the studios specifically put their newer content w/ streamers that charge a premium per title. It's like complaining premium cable isn't as good as Pay per view/On Demand. Totally different structures. And now that Disney has thrown in their hat w/ Netflix, that means not only Disney films but Pixar and Marvel. Netflix is changing the landscape.

Yes I am a Netflix fanboy, since 2002. I remember when everyone said they wouldn't last back then as well...

WireNut

« Reply #39 on: 4 May 2013, 04:32 am »
You know what I love about Netflix? It's that everybody has Netflix. Netflix and Vudu HD, I want both these companies to do well.

Rclark and everybody,

I don't have Netflix or Vudu, but I'm trying to help my sister decide on getting one of them. She's away from home so much that I'm thinking she would like to stream only and get the latest movies and any TV shows on the fly that she missed during the week.
Which service would you recommend  :?:  Cost isn't an issue on the purchase.