Apple Music: Is it garbage?

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
Apple Music: Is it garbage?
« on: 30 Oct 2021, 09:46 pm »

Having recently (5mths ago) subscribed to this service I am finding that the quality of reproduction leaves alot to be desired considering the resolution of the source material available. Is it readily apparent to those with the opportunity to compare this service with an original CD, ripped copy, or whatever that there is a significant difference between the two?
Not to belabor the difference, it’s a mid-fi two-dimensionality for apple and depth sourced three-dimensionality for every other source I listen to including(very good) internet radio.

thanks

SoCalWJS

Re: Apple Music: Is it garbage?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2021, 10:20 pm »
I recently started listening to Apple Music after they announced that they were going to begin broadcasting much/most of their music Library in “Hi-Res” or “Lossless”, not to mention select titles in “Dolby Atmos”.

How are you listening to it?

After doing a bit of research, I learned that many of Apple’s own products were actually incapable of allowing the user to listen at these higher resolutions due to limitations of their technology. I ended up getting the latest AppleTV 4k+ HDR and hooking it up directly to my HT Receiver via HDMI as that was one of the best ways to listen at the higher resolutions. It is limited somewhat, but I am enjoying listening to Pink Floyd’s stuff that was released quietly this past week in “Hi-Res” quality.

If you are using some of their older gear or via AirPods, you aren’t listening it at the higher resolutions.

Hope Apple resolves this issue quickly with their newest hardware or (if possible) through Firmware updates.