psaudio Stellar M700 mono amps

Charles Calkins

psaudio Stellar M700 mono amps
« on: 22 Nov 2018, 08:43 pm »

Hi Guys:
                Does anyone have or heard things about these amps?

Cheers
                                        Charlie

gab

Re: psaudio Stellar M700 mono amps
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2018, 08:53 pm »
I think AC member mlundy57 might have one

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2018, 09:17 pm »
I think AC member mlundy57 might have one

Thank you I will contact him

Cheers
                                      Charlie

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2018, 10:52 pm »
I use the (also highly reviewed) little brother, S300 in my family room system daily. It's an impressive amp. Same circuit as the monoblocks I believe. So, if you don't need the power of the monos, I think you'd get very similar sound/performance with the S300.

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2018, 11:12 pm »
Same front end circuit but different Icepower module than the 300's.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2018, 11:24 pm »
I use the (also highly reviewed) little brother, S300 in my family room system daily. It's an impressive amp. Same circuit as the monoblocks I believe. So, if you don't need the power of the monos, I think you'd get very similar sound/performance with the S300.

My VSA speakers need a LOT!! of power to make them sound GREAT!! Right now I'm using a Macintosh MC352 amp.
   Curious to hear how the M700 compare with the Mac.

Cheers
                                           Charlie

audio.bill

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2018, 12:39 am »
Charlie - Paul McGowan from PS Audio has said that while the Stellar Class D amps offer great audible performance and power levels at their prices, he finds that they are outperformed at a relatively higher cost by their Class A/B amplifiers. So while the high power of the M700 amps would satisfy your VSA speakers it's likely that their sound quality may not be at the level of your MC amp. Like most things in high end audio, YMMV applies. If you have an opportunity to try them it could be worth a shot but I wouldn't suggest buying them without an audition in your system.

gold

« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2018, 12:48 am »
I have them and they are very impressive sounding monos.  They do a lot of things right for a very affordable price.  As Class D continues to improve these would be great to have as a reference.   

Charles Calkins

« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2018, 01:39 am »
Charlie - Paul McGowan from PS Audio has said that while the Stellar Class D amps offer great audible performance and power levels at their prices, he finds that they are outperformed at a relatively higher cost by their Class A/B amplifiers. So while the high power of the M700 amps would satisfy your VSA speakers it's likely that their sound quality may not be at the level of your MC amp. Like most things in high end audio, YMMV applies. If you have an opportunity to try them it could be worth a shot but I wouldn't suggest buying them without an audition in your system.

audio.bill:

Thanks for your info. If I do buy them there is a 30 day trail period. Like you I really don't think they will sound better than my Mac amp.
               I'm thinking. I'm thinking. I'm thinking. I'm thinking should I or should I not. This has been on my very,very small brain for a month.
               I'm thinking that now it is better for me to kick back and have a Martini or two. Or more.

Cheers
                                                                    Charlie

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2018, 11:14 am »
Bought a PS Audio DirectStream Junior (DAC, preamp, streamer), very well built, wonderful sound.  Check underwoodhifi.com for PS Audio significant discounts.  PS Audio is very customer supportive.  Sorry, haven't heard their amps.

bacobits1

« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2018, 04:44 pm »
There is a NEW black pair M700 on Audiogon for $1999 now.

RDavidson

« Reply #11 on: 25 Nov 2018, 05:41 am »
Charlie, just try them. With the trial period, you have nothing to lose except the experience. Even if they don't best your Mac, I think you'll be surprised. PS Audio really put some magic into the input buffer circuit in the Stellar amps. I don't find my S300 to be particularly dry or mechanical sounding like many class D amps (particularly older class D amps). Of course the M700's probably aren't as good as their top of the line BHK monoblocks. They don't cost nearly as much either.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #12 on: 25 Nov 2018, 06:55 pm »
There is a NEW black pair M700 on Audiogon for $1999 now.

I found them.
Asking price is $2050. He is selling them because he sticking with a McIntosh amp.
 I am using a McIntosh MC352 amp. I think I'll keep it.
 psaudio has a dealer in S.F. I'll give them a call to see if they have the amps
 in stock so I could listen to them.

Cheers
                                        Charlie