Arcam DV-79

8thnerve

Arcam DV-79
« on: 2 Jun 2004, 03:16 pm »
I am an Arcam dealer, and this is why the post is here in the Market Square and not in Home Theater or Multichannel.  However, the reason I am posting this information is that I have been truly blown away by this DVD player to such an extent, that I feel that I must share this information with those willing to look beyond my dealership status.  After all, I can only sell Arcam in my territory, and I only know of one AC member who is local.  

I have been anxiously awaiting this DVD player since it was announced several months ago.  Finally, digital video from the company who made arguably the very best DVD player out there, the DV-27A, that has won countless awards.  Knowing the video quality of the DV-27A, a picture that is as close to film as any DVD player I have ever seen (including the uber-expensive offerings from Faroudja, Linn, Classe, etc.), their claim of an even better picture when using the HDMI out was hard to believe.  However, any of you at the Stereophile show in New York may have noticed the ridiculous number of DV-79s being used.  It did occur to me then that something special was happening.

I set it up last night in my HT setup which is as follows:

Arcam DV-79 DVD-A Player
-- Video -- Arcam supplied HDMI->DVI Cable -> Samsung Hi-Def RPD 47"
-- Audio --
Stereovox HDXV ->
Arcam AVR300 ->
Audience Conductor Cable ->
Von Schweikert VR-1 (L,R,SL,SR), LCR-15 (Center), VRS/1 (Sub)

Myself, my wife, and my 9 year old daughter sat there with our mouths open during the typical and overused opera scene in The Fifth Element (NOT the Superbit version).  Although we have ALL seen that a million times, I actually got chills, my wife said, "uh..." and my daughter said, "daddy?  this new DVD player is AWESOME!"  I couldn't agree more.  When I "evaluate" a DVD player, I always look for the typical MPEG artifacts: ghosting, edge definition, masking, etc.  Especially during movement where the MPEG engine has to work its hardest.  They simply don't exist on this player, at all.  Colors have so much depth and resolution, it's frightening.  Black level is unreal.  If I told you that you were watching HD DVD or Blue Ray, you'd be amazed at how much better that format is, it's that convincing.

The sound, as with all higher end Arcam offerings, is incredible.  I have not yet had time to try a DVD-A, but I will report back on that soon.  From movies so far (all have been DD, not even DTS) the sound is remarkable.  Obviously more DTS and DVDA testing is in order.  And it isn't close to being broken in yet!!!

More to come....  If you have a local Arcam dealer and you care about your picture at all, RUN to your dealer and beg for an audition.  I apologize in advance to those who think I am simply plugging a product that I sell.  My customers will be the first to tell you that I will recommend a product I don't sell if it is the best.

Andrikos

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2004, 05:03 pm »
So, how much are we talking about?
Is it going to better my cheapie Bravo D1 DVI to Infocus SP7200?
Thanks,

Fife

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2004, 06:31 pm »
Quote from: Andrikos
Thanks,

Most likely. The older Arcams DV-89 and FMJ models are VERY good.  Definitely better than the Bravo/Momitsu players.
I believe the DV-79 replaces the DV-89.

Now only if I could afford the Arcams.  :?

8thnerve

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2004, 08:10 pm »
Thanks,

I have direct experience with the Bravo D1 and Samsung HD-931 (have one here).  There is no comparison.  Seriously.

8thnerve

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2004, 08:11 pm »
Thanks,

Oops, forgot to answer your first question.  It lists for $1799.  It looks like it should cost 4 times that.

F-100

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2004, 08:50 pm »
Does this player output 720p and 1080i format?
Thanks

Alex_G

AVR300 and VSA VR-2 synergy?
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2004, 09:25 pm »
Hello Bill-

I understand that DV-79 has a good DAC for 2-channel music.  Will the AVR300 have a good enough DAC comparable to DV-79 sound quality?  

I had a chance to hear AVR300 with Paradigm speakers and was not impressed with this combination.  This combo had recessed midrange and bloated bass.  With internal DAC’s, how would you describe AVR300’s 2-channel sound characteristics when driving VSA VR-2 speakers in a 2-channel mode?  

Does the AVR300 have enough power to effectively drive VSA VR-2, LCR-15 and TS-150 speakers?

Best regards,
Alex

Hantra

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #7 on: 3 Jun 2004, 03:43 am »
Excuse me for butting in, but I used to have one of the first AVR-100's, and the internal DAC was good, but it wasn't as good as my old faithful PD-65.  I am not familiar with the 300 though.

In my opinion, the AVR-100 was the best receiver I have owned.  I used to use it for two channel when I first got into audio.  I only got rid of it b/c it wouldn't fit under my TV, and I separated my systems now.

I have nothing but the highest regard for the AVR's.

Sa-dono

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2004, 06:28 am »
I would be curious how the DV-79 would rank in "Secrets'" DVD Benchmark. Both the Arcam FMJ DV27 and DV-78 have ranked extremely poorly in the past.

Quote from: F-100
Thanks

Given Bill's comments about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, I would certainly hope so.

8thnerve

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #9 on: 3 Jun 2004, 02:11 pm »
Thanks

No!  At least that's what they say, although you'd be convinced they were lying when seeing the picture.  The Samsung HD-931 and my Voom HD satellite box both output 720p and 1080i and their picture is not even close to the DV-79.

Marbles

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2004, 02:13 pm »
How is the picture using component cables?

8thnerve

Re: AVR300 and VSA VR-2 synergy?
« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2004, 02:22 pm »
Quote from: Alex_G
Hello Bill-

I understand that DV-79 has a good DAC for 2-channel music.  Will the AVR300 have a good enough DAC comparable to DV-79 sound quality?  

I had a chance to hear AVR300 with Paradigm speakers and was not impressed with this combination.  This combo had recessed midrange and bloated bass.  With internal DAC’s, how would you describe AVR300’s 2-channel sound characteristics when driving VSA VR-2 speakers in a 2-channel mode?  

Does the AVR300 have enough power to effectively drive VSA VR-2, LCR-15 and TS-150 speakers?

Best regards,
Alex

The DAC in the DV-79 is superior to the AVR300 (even though it is the same Wolfson variety) but for listening to music (CD or DVD-A) you would use the multichannel outputs from the DV-79 in to the AVR300, bypassing the AVR300 DACs.

I can't imagine how the AVR300 was sounding the way you described it.  It must have been setup improperly.  There are many setup options that must be configured for optimal sound.  Speaker distances, trim levels, delay, even EQ for each individual channel are all options in the AVR300, the same software used in the incredible AV8.  The AVR300 EASILY powers the Von Schweikert speakers to ridiculous levels.  This is without a doubt the best I have ever heard VSA speakers in a home theater setup.

The VR-2s with the AVR300 in stereo mode and using the AVR300's DAC is very impressive.  As or more impressive than using a $2000 integrated.  When using the DAC in the DV-79 however, the performance is incredible.  I have noticed that this HT combo makes an unbelieveable two channel system that just happens to have a killer HT setup built in.

If you already have Von Shweikert speakers, this is an obvious match made in heaven.

8thnerve

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #12 on: 3 Jun 2004, 02:22 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
How is the picture using component cables?

As good as the DV-27A.

8thnerve

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jun 2004, 02:29 pm »
Quote from: Sa-dono
I would be curious how the DV-79 would rank in "Secrets'" DVD Benchmark. Both the Arcam FMJ DV27 and DV-78 have ranked extremely poorly in the past.

Thanks

Given Bill's comments about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, I would certainly hope so.

In looking for all the errors that Benchmark refers to, the DV-79 looks like film in each example.  There are no digital artifacts at all.  It sound impossible, but I have been staring at the damn thing all yesterday, and I can't find one digital flaw.  Not one jagged line, not one frame error, nothing.

Alex_G

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #14 on: 4 Jun 2004, 05:09 am »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info.  Does the DV-79 sound better then CD73 when using their internal (2-channel) DAC’s?

Best regards,
Alex

Sa-dono

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #15 on: 4 Jun 2004, 06:50 am »
Quote from: 8thnerve

In looking for all the errors that Benchmark refers to, the DV-79 looks like film in each example.  There are no digital artifacts at all.  It sound impossible, but I have been staring at the damn thing all yesterday, and I can't find one digital flaw. Not one jagged line, not one frame error, nothing.

Are you referring to their inspection of the DV-78?

8thnerve

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #16 on: 4 Jun 2004, 01:18 pm »
Quote from: Alex_G
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info.  Does the DV-79 sound better then CD73 when using their internal (2-channel) DAC’s?

Best regards,
Alex

I rarely sign my name, but the 8thNerve handle is me (Nathan).  :-)

Yes, the DV-79 compares in 2 channel redbook sound quality to the CD-82 - CD-93.  Of course it also provides DVD-A which is a whole different ballgame.

8thnerve

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #17 on: 4 Jun 2004, 01:19 pm »

Are you referring to their inspection of the DV-78?

No, I'm reffering to their guidelines for picture quality and the results on the DV-79 from my experience.

wshuff

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #18 on: 4 Jun 2004, 02:08 pm »
Here's the Secrets update that includes the DV-78, not the DV-79 being discussed here.  

The DV-78 didn't fair well in the tests, yet still they concluded that

The video frequency response of the player was quite good with only a slight rolloff at higher frequencies, but this didn’t seem to affect detail in playback.

Overall the DV-78 is a solid offering that is improved upon with their flagship DV-27A. The 27A will be featured in our next benchmark report.

The report states that the flagship uses Silicon Image so if the DV-79 is the flagship then I'd expect it to do well.  If it is using the chip used in the DV-78 then I'd expect it to have similar performance, at least in terms of deinterlacing, CUE, etc.  

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=116

8thnerve

Arcam DV-79
« Reply #19 on: 4 Jun 2004, 10:58 pm »
Quote from: wshuff

The report states that the flagship uses Silicon Image so if the DV-79 is the flagship then I'd expect it to do well.  If it is using the chip used in the DV-78 then I'd expect it to have similar performance, at least in terms of deinterlacing, CUE, etc.  

It is an entirely new video section using six 12-bit video DACs, so it's an entirely different ballgame.  I have no idea how it will fare in that test, but I have seen many of the players they rate highly and this is frankly in a different league.