4bsst/2 reviews

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 4bsst/2 reviews
« Reply #80 on: 19 Mar 2011, 05:35 pm »
So it is possible? Could you send me a set?

Hi 

The blue is a special order and I do not think they can be retrofitted as they have different mounting holes and different drivers and resistor values for the LEDs. I will check.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #81 on: 20 Mar 2011, 01:13 am »
I realized that as well but was able to get $2300 for the 4B SST and paid $1500 locally a couple months ago. I couldn't justify having an amp that's worth more than my whole system, especially in a really small room. I've been experiencing some sellers remorse about it. I feel like I just lost a kid :)
I'm a little new to this game and didn't realize how emotional and attached we can get to this stuff

Ok, cool. No worries. Happy listening with your 3B!

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #82 on: 20 Mar 2011, 02:19 pm »
Hi 

The blue is a special order and I do not think they can be retrofitted as they have different mounting holes and different drivers and resistor values for the LEDs. I will check.

Please do!!! My 4B SST2 is the only piece of equipment I own with green LED's, the rest all has blue. Mafico is nearby here (10 minute drive), I can also do it myself if Mafico decides to want an extortionate amount of money in return...

Anonamemouse

« Reply #83 on: 24 Mar 2011, 12:45 pm »
Hi 

James, did you ever check on this?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #84 on: 24 Mar 2011, 03:39 pm »
James, did you ever check on this?

Hi Anonamemouse,

Yes I did and it is not an easy job.  The front panel faceplate has to change - a few resistors on the circuit board and the mounting holes for the new blue LED's.  So definitely a factory issue not to mention shipping costs and parts costs.

james

Anonamemouse

« Reply #85 on: 24 Mar 2011, 03:52 pm »
Bummer...  :cry:
Not gonna happen then. Shame I did not know this is possible when I ordered it, otherwise... Now it's not worth the money. Maybe when I order my 14 in a couple of years.

Thank you for checking!

hidefguy

« Reply #86 on: 31 Mar 2011, 06:06 pm »
I would have kept the 4BSST. More headroom. Just sayin'

Well vegasdave. you were right. After selling off my 4B SST I realized that I now need the extra headroom. After changing the configuration to a direct amplifier hook-up from my Oppo BDP95 DAC (balanced outputs) the sound was mesmerizing. The only problem here is that on certain recordings, the 3B SST briefly clips out on on me. I didn't think I would run into this problem unless I got bigger/power hungrier speakers.
I like loud music so I went ahead and re-purchased a used mint 4B SST (17" faceplate) from authorized dealer for $100 more than I sold mine for. The one I sold had no original box/receipt, and had the 19" faceplate with the handles which is a look I don't prefer. I like the flat 17" faceplate and this one includes dealer receipt, and original box, so it all worked out. I need to sell my 3B SST (17" faceplate). I'm wondering if I should post it in the classifieds here before going to Audiogon.

vegasdave

« Reply #87 on: 31 Mar 2011, 07:30 pm »
Well vegasdave. you were right. After selling off my 4B SST I realized that I now need the extra headroom. After changing the configuration to a direct amplifier hook-up from my Oppo BDP95 DAC (balanced outputs) the sound was mesmerizing. The only problem here is that on certain recordings, the 3B SST briefly clips out on on me. I didn't think I would run into this problem unless I got bigger/power hungrier speakers.
I like loud music so I went ahead and re-purchased a used mint 4B SST (17" faceplate) from authorized dealer for $100 more than I sold mine for. The one I sold had no original box/receipt, and had the 19" faceplate with the handles which is a look I don't prefer. I like the flat 17" faceplate and this one includes dealer receipt, and original box, so it all worked out. I need to sell my 3B SST (17" faceplate). I'm wondering if I should post it in the classifieds here before going to Audiogon.

No problem. Ok, I thought so. That was a good deal on the 4BSST. You shouldn't have any problems selling the 3BSST. Some audiophiles consider it the best sounding Bryston amp.

hidefguy

4B SST
« Reply #88 on: 1 Apr 2011, 09:54 pm »
Appreciate the advice Dave. In the future, I will never purchase a solid state amplifier without the capability of handling at least 2X the speakers power handling specs, and of course I will never purchase a solid state amplifier without the name Bryston on it  :wink:
I really believe that you get what you pay for up to the point of diminishing returns, and Bryston gear seems to hover right around that point. I still get those people who tell me I pay too much per watt, but that's expected working around technicians such as myself. In the end it's the experience that counts, and mine have been very pleasant, and worth every penny. I'll take the audio stuff over a new car anyday :)

vegasdave

« Reply #89 on: 1 Apr 2011, 10:31 pm »
You're welcome! Sounds good, and I agree with the rest! Forget cars, they're too much hassle! All you need is something with decent horsepower and is built well. I'm content with my Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor...it's a nice solid car with good horsepower, and is built very well.

werd

« Reply #90 on: 1 Apr 2011, 10:38 pm »
You're welcome! Sounds good, and I agree with the rest! Forget cars, they're too much hassle! All you need is something with decent horsepower and is built well. I'm content with my Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor...it's a nice solid car with good horsepower, and is built very well.

Yah  :thumb:

vegasdave

« Reply #91 on: 2 Apr 2011, 12:05 am »

hidefguy

« Reply #92 on: 5 Apr 2011, 08:36 am »
Got the beast today. A real beauty. Still looks new, and runs slightly louder than my 3B SST. I expect this is normal since the internal 4B SST components are bigger. This one is staying for at least 5 years :)

werd

« Reply #93 on: 5 Apr 2011, 01:42 pm »
8)

don't forget about the heater hidden under the seat.

vegasdave

« Reply #94 on: 6 Apr 2011, 07:59 pm »
Got the beast today. A real beauty. Still looks new, and runs slightly louder than my 3B SST. I expect this is normal since the internal 4B SST components are bigger. This one is staying for at least 5 years :)

Cool! Congrats and enjoy...