Newbie with OB1's looking for some advice.

HPower

« on: 20 Jan 2005, 12:00 am »
Hi,
I just happened on this site today and the Circle looks like an awsome board.
After being out of audio for a few years, I just recently had a visit from the bug.
That bug was trying to talk me into building some large grand system but I have resisted... so far.
After listening to a handfull of different speakers, I heard a pair of OB1's and was blown away. To me, the PMC's are a major step up from the Kef 107's that I sold a few years ago!
Wanting to keep the system as simple as possible I the went out and bought a Musical Fidelity CD-pre24 and mated it up with my ancient Adcom 555mk2.
I am relatively happy with the sound that I am getting right now but I know these speakers deserve an upgrade in the amplifier department.

I know that Bryston is a top choice, but what are some other good options?
The Adcom seems to fill my 15x20 room ok, but with not much reserve.

Thanks

Fife12

« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2005, 01:03 am »
I know that Bryston is a top choice, but what are some other good options?

There are none. Stick with Bryston.   :mrgreen:

HPower

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2005, 01:48 am »
Hi Fife,

I am sure a 4Bsst would fit the bill nicely,
or if money was not an issue, a pair of 6Bsst's tri-amped and be done with it.

A couple of amps that have caught my ear are the MF A-308 and Mcintosh 402 or 502, (I have heard these, but not with OB1's).
A couple that have caught my eye are the Rogue M150's and the Mac 2102, (I always wanted to try a tube amp but I have now idea how either of these 2 might work with the CD-pre and OB1's).
I know tube watts play a little bigger than ss watts, so maybe 100/150 tube watts would be enough  :?:

Cheers

declancd7q

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2005, 04:34 am »
I'm intrigued if anyone has paired Naim with OB1...

In general you'll need around 100-150W at least....200-300 ideally.

But one possible scenario is to bi-amp with 2 lots of 100W 2B-SST amps.

OB1 presents benign 'evenish' load and fair sensitivity  so not difficult to drive...but they like power.

If you're in Canada...makes sense with Bryston. Others to consider are Krell, McCormack, Gamut D200 (nice)....maybe Rega Exon monoblocks...

I find FB1 and OB1 are not fussy about amp as long as decent clean power.

I find the midband a bit restrained so perhaps a slightly forward amp can be used to fine-tune.

declancd7q

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2005, 04:38 am »
oops...canadian: Classe

Yogus

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2005, 05:46 am »
Classe amps are a bit too "boring" for PMCs i think  :o

(just my opinion mind you..  :wink: )

Nomoretweaks

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2005, 02:41 pm »
If Bryston is too expensive, you can try Exposure 3010 integrated. In the future you will be able to gradually upgrade by adding Exposure 3010 power to bi-amp, or two to tri-amp. Sounds great with OB 1

HPower

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2005, 04:21 pm »
Hey guys,
Thanks for the feedback.
I have found, oddly enough, that the hi-end Canadian brands (Sim, Classé, Bryston, etc) are not that much, if at all, less money here in Canada than you would pay in the USA. :o

That said, I don't feel that it is a must to buy Canadian.

Nomore, I had thought about going with an integrated but I decided on the CD-pre24 which houses a cd/dac/pre-amp all in one box.
Now all that I really need is a new power amp.
Cost wise, I don't want to have to sell the farm but I do want something that will really make the speakers shine.
If I was going to go with 3 100watters, maybe I should look at three of 3010's.
I wonder how that might compare to a trio of the new 2Bsst (as declancd7q sugested) in price and perfomance?

Since nobody has mentioned any tube gear, should I assume that tubes are a bad idea to drive the OB1's?

Thanks
 and keep the your ideas coming.

afblaster

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2005, 07:56 pm »
Go with BRYSTON!!

I have used a 4B-SST with FB1+s, OB1s and currently IB1s, and it has perfect synergy with all these speakers.  
From my experience of using other makes of amplifiers, I have found that PMC's transmission line designs require the power and vice-like control of big Brystons, especially in the bass.  Bear in mind that PMC develop and voice their speakers using these amplifiers - why look elswhere?  
My IB1/4B-SST pairing is as near perfect as I could hope for.  The 4B-SST has ample power to drive the 4ohm IB1s VERY loud and very cleanly.  Try bi-wiring to the bass and mid terminals of your OB1s, and connect the mid to the top terminals with short lengths of your speaker cable.
Good luck!

HPower

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2005, 08:57 pm »
Thanks afblaster,

It was a 4Bsst that I first auditioned the FB1+ and OB1's with, and I think in was a Linn front end.
So far it sounds like Bryston is the no brainer way to go, as I originally thought.
I am currently running Kimber 8TC cables in a bi-wire configuration to the woofers and mids with a short TC4 jumper going to the tweeters. :thumb:

Cheers