CA Audio Show Pictures

adydula

• Restricted
Re: CA Audio Show Pictures
« Reply #100 on: 10 Aug 2010, 10:05 pm »
Jim I sent you a PM.

If you want to wow the audio crowd I would get the BD83SE model whether you use the analog outputs to a Preamp or the digital outs to Franks DAC....the 83SE has the analog upgrades and improvements that may not be up to AVA standards or quality but it has that "I am serious" factor to it.

The 83SE analog outs to Franks preamp to an Ultravalve is the heat for sure!

Its only $$$!!

Alex

intamin22

« Reply #101 on: 11 Aug 2010, 09:17 pm »
Anyone know what type of rack that is in the last picture (the silver one in the room with I think stereophile said had 400k worth of stuff in it)? It looks sharp, but I have a feeling it's probably ridiculously priced. Thanks!

Ps-glad the show was a success!

Woolz

« Reply #102 on: 26 Aug 2010, 06:41 pm »
I have a question about using the Oppo as a transport with the AVA Dac to play SACDs.  Won't the digital stream going to the Dac be normal-rez instead of the high-rez DSD.  To play SACDs in high-rez wouldn't you have to take the analog outs from the oppo to the preamp?

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #103 on: 26 Aug 2010, 09:20 pm »
Woolz:

You are correct, the SACD format would be passed through the analog outs and only the normal-rez layer would be available to the AVA DAC.  The SAC format is propriatary.

Regards,
Dean

jsalk

« Reply #104 on: 26 Aug 2010, 09:20 pm »
I have a question about using the Oppo as a transport with the AVA Dac to play SACDs.  Won't the digital stream going to the Dac be normal-rez instead of the high-rez DSD.  To play SACDs in high-rez wouldn't you have to take the analog outs from the oppo to the preamp?

Woolz -

I am currently playing around with an Atlona de-embedder to do just that.  The Oppo's digital outs are down-rezed as I understand it.  I am trying to set up the Atlona to strip hi-rez signals off the HDMI feed.  I may not have time in the next few days to play much, but I'll let you know how it works out.

- Jim

Srgtfury

« Reply #105 on: 27 Aug 2010, 05:22 pm »
I don't know Boston Beans about this dude.  But I do know that he's way more into the audible implications of different jumpers and flucuations in hotel voltage levels than I am.

There we are with those who hear electrons pass thru $$$ interconnects.  I must say that looking at several, shall I say, less than ideal installs (cramped apartments with no acoustic placement concerns at all) that have been posted here and elsewhere, and looking at the number of satisfied customers with Salk speakers, despite  all sorts of electronics/voltage issues, etc., it is difficult to place blame on the juice.  Now, I realize purchasers want to validate and show off their purchases, but how many dissatisfied purchasers of Salk products are out there?  Maybe a thread for those who changed from Salk to whatever and why, would be useful here.  I have enough confidence to say it would be a validation of Salk products, for whatever the reason.  Frankly, having seen some of the hotel room demo/show setups, that have ben posted here, I don't understand the glowing reviews, unless relative merits are being discussed.

FWIW, I am VERY satisfied with my Ht3's in a very untreated room.

Thank you very much

Fury

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #106 on: 27 Aug 2010, 05:59 pm »
One thing that might have been missed in all of the Sterophile discussion is that the general reaction to the Salk room was extremely favorable.  I'm not at liberty to say which groups in particular were impressed, but even the Steophile dude referenced all of the positive event buzz over the SS's. 

Speaking of which, I almost had my very first pair of finished Salk speakers this morning.  I guess Jim took pity on my mdf-furnished living room when he visited last month, and he packed up a pair of beautiful walnut SS10 cabinets and sent them off on a truck skid for delivery Friday AM.  Unfortunately, the dispatcher called to confirm my presence just as I stepped outside to bring in the paper and now I won't get them until Monday.  I'm sure they'll be worth the wait, and it will be great to be able to show people what Jim's speakers really look like, not just what they sound like. 

Saturn94

« Reply #107 on: 27 Aug 2010, 06:22 pm »
One thing that might have been missed in all of the Sterophile discussion is that the general reaction to the Salk room was extremely favorable.  I'm not at liberty to say which groups in particular were impressed, but even the Steophile dude referenced all of the positive event buzz over the SS's. 

Speaking of which, I almost had my very first pair of finished Salk speakers this morning.  I guess Jim took pity on my mdf-furnished living room when he visited last month, and he packed up a pair of beautiful walnut SS10 cabinets and sent them off on a truck skid for delivery Friday AM.  Unfortunately, the dispatcher called to confirm my presence just as I stepped outside to bring in the paper and now I won't get them until Monday.  I'm sure they'll be worth the wait, and it will be great to be able to show people what Jim's speakers really look like, not just what they sound like.

:lol:

Hopefully I'll get to see the finished cabinets on my next visit.  I did get to see Richard's STs the last time I visited, and they were beautiful!

R Swerdlow

« Reply #108 on: 28 Aug 2010, 10:36 am »

Congrats Dennis - I'm sure you're gonna like them :wine:

But there is nothing wrong MDF test mule cabinets - as long as they're hand rubbed MDF.

Nuance

« Reply #109 on: 28 Aug 2010, 05:21 pm »

Wow, that's awesome, Dennis; Congrats!  Please do post pictures when they arrive.

fsimms

« Reply #110 on: 29 Aug 2010, 12:09 am »
Wow, that's awesome, Dennis; Congrats!  Please do post pictures when they arrive.

And don't forget the truck!

Bob

Stercom

« Reply #111 on: 29 Aug 2010, 09:32 am »

I am currently playing around with an Atlona de-embedder to do just that.  The Oppo's digital outs are down-rezed as I understand it.  I am trying to set up the Atlona to strip hi-rez signals off the HDMI feed.  I may not have time in the next few days to play much, but I'll let you know how it works out. - Jim

Have you got the Atlona working Jim?

jsalk

« Reply #112 on: 29 Aug 2010, 04:29 pm »
Have you got the Atlona working Jim?

No.  I have spent the last couple of days getting a new server up and running.  I've got a little more work to do on that and then I'll turn my attention to Atlona.

- Jim

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #113 on: 29 Aug 2010, 09:18 pm »
I just received an Atlona unit too.  I will be evaluating it with my Oppo and Vision DAC this week.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Stercom

« Reply #114 on: 29 Aug 2010, 11:37 pm »
I just received an Atlona unit too.  I will be evaluating it with my Oppo and Vision DAC this week.
Regards,
Frank Van Alstine

Let us know how it turns out Frank and Jim. I didn't know it was possible to strip-off a hi-rez digital signal for use on external DACs.  Have it ready by RMAF, maybe?

fsimms

Dennis finished speakers
« Reply #115 on: 31 Aug 2010, 06:23 pm »
Dennis, did you get your SS10's yesterday as you were hoping?  Having fun?

Bob
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2010, 07:24 pm by fsimms »

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Dennis finished speakers
« Reply #116 on: 31 Aug 2010, 07:49 pm »
Dennis, did you get your SS10's yesterday as you were hoping?  Having fun?

Bob

Yup--the driver plopped the skid down in the driveway, and I spent the rest of the day getting them in, wiring them up, listening, measuring as a final check before Jim starts shipping those puppies to deserving customers like you, and then just listening again.   And looking.   They're super elegant, although I doubt that my photo skill will capture the depth and texture.  I don't know how Jim and the crew do it, but the cabinets look like they're made out of solid walnut.  I won't post any pics until I get finished upper cabinets.  I'm still using mdf prototypes until Jim gets a steady supply of the final molded units.