Latest music you've picked up...

mjosef

bunch of classical cds
« Reply #360 on: 17 Apr 2006, 09:16 pm »
found these on clearance...
1. Mozart Requiem by Nikolaus Harnoncourt. a SACD recording.
2. Shostakovich cello concertos #1,2  with Mstislav Rostropovich on cello and the Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra.
3. Del Tredici: Vintage Alice/Syzygy with the delightful soprano Lucy Shelton
4. Moritz Moszkowski piano music with Seta Tanyel on piano.
5. Mitsuko Uchida~ Schubert piano sonatas
6. Helene Grimaud~ Credo...music for solo piano, mixed choir and orchestra
7. LSO live~Dvorak symphony #8
8. Summer...a crossover classical singer in the vein of Sarah Brightman, pretty good recording.
9. Renee Fleming:Strauss Heroines
10. Stefon Harris. the Grand Unification theory. The sole jazz cd in the bunch.

mcrespo71

« Reply #361 on: 17 Apr 2006, 09:59 pm »
Picked up some LP's this past weekend:

1) Beck- Guero
2) Cat Power- The Greatest
3) Morrissey- you are the quarry
4) Sleater Kinney The Woods

CD
1) Prince 3121
2) Morrissey- ringleader of the tormentors

Soundbitten

« Reply #362 on: 17 Apr 2006, 10:54 pm »

philipp

« Reply #363 on: 17 Apr 2006, 11:11 pm »
Quote from: mjosef
3. Evan Parker Electro-acoustic Ensemble- The eleventh hour. ECM

I've been thinking about getting this and would love to get your impressions, especially how it compares to their earlier discs (if you have them). Thanks in advance!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #364 on: 18 Apr 2006, 05:16 am »
An excellent concert DVD.....Gary Moore and Friends - One Night in Dublin - A Tribute to Phil Lynott ...... :wink:
    If your a Thin Lizzy fan....a nice addition to your collection....I enjoyed it very much !!! :dance: [/list:u]

mjosef

« Reply #365 on: 18 Apr 2006, 05:26 pm »
Quote from: philipp
3. Evan Parker Electro-acoustic Ensemble- The eleventh hour. ECM

I've been thinking about getting this and would love to get your impressions, especially how it compares to their earlier discs (if you have them). Thanks in advance!

Hey Philipp, this is my first cd with this artist so cannot compare with earlier releases. In fact I had never heard of Evan Parker until I came across this disc, and I am impressed with it... sounds like experimental music, right up my alley, I like music that challenges the mind. The sound is very good as are most ECMs...being on this label is what piked my curiousity. Now I have to check out his earlier works.

philipp

« Reply #366 on: 18 Apr 2006, 06:18 pm »
fact I had never heard of Evan Parker until I came across this disc, and I am impressed with it... sounds like experimental music, right up my alley

Never heard of??  :o

Well I'm glad you liked it! Evan is one of the giants of European free improv and has been recording since '68. You should check out this site http://www.efi.group.shef.ac.uk/ for more about him and others like him. Enjoy!

mjosef

« Reply #367 on: 20 Apr 2006, 07:12 pm »
Thanks Philipp for the link, good reading. Maybe I did hear EP before with Derek Bailey but didn't know it.

During a recent search for indie music I came across indiejazz.com, needless to say I ended up spending some money.

1. Gregg Bendian's Interzone. A quartet with vibes, guitar, drums and bass, sounds fantastic, masterful playing by all involved.
2. Nels Cline/Gregg Bendian~Interstellar Space revisited; the music of John Coltrane.
3. Space~new music for woodwinds and voice+ an interesting Breakfast conversation. A trio of Roscoe Mitchell, Thomas Buckner and Gerald Oshita.
4. Other Dimensions in Music~NOW! A quartet, Roy Cambell Jr., Daniel Carter, William Parker and Rashid Bakr.
5. Roscoe Mitchell +Brus Trio~ after fallen leaves.
6. Daniel Humair~baby boom.

Highly recommended website for indie music.

mjosef

« Reply #368 on: 25 Apr 2006, 05:10 am »
Picked up one of Rudresh Mahanthappa's CDs at his concert last Thursday.
Mother Tongue.
Basically the same quintet I heard with the exception of the drummer, different drummer on this cd. Amazing performances, excellent recording too.

mcrespo71

« Reply #369 on: 27 Apr 2006, 05:35 am »
LP
Green Day American Idiot
Robert Pollard From a Compound Eye
Stevie Wonder Talking Book
Kinks Lola versus Powerman and the Money-Go-Round, Part One
Belle and Sebastian The Life Pursuit

CD
Stooges
Stooges Fun House
Mahler Symphony #10- Simon Rattle
The whole story- Kate Bush
Ultimate Toni Braxton
Violent Femmes- Best of
Supergrass Road to Rouen
John Coltrane- Love Supreme Deluxe
Libertines

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #370 on: 27 Apr 2006, 01:13 pm »
http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/broadcast/display.aspx?ID=8942&catid=73
I wonder how long they have had this in their vault.

mjosef

picked up off the street...
« Reply #371 on: 2 May 2006, 07:24 pm »
On some truely rare occasions, I come across a bunch of LPs that someone 'threw' out, actually neatly stacked on the sidewalk...almost all classical, I took 21 and left about 3 or 4.
And visually the surface condition range from good to excellent, but a little dusty. There are about 5 RCA living stereo, plus labels like Angel, DG, Phillips, Capitol, Westminister, Decca...featuring the works of Dvorak, Brahms, Schubert, Rachmaninoff, Haydn and other well known composers.
THe one jazz LP: Sumi Tonooka 'with an open heart'. Sumi on piano, Rufus Reid on bass and Akira Tana on drums.

I left Wynton and T.T D'arby for another soul.

JoshK

« Reply #372 on: 3 May 2006, 02:46 am »
Today...new ones by Tool, Rob Zombie, Built to Spill, Flaming Lips, David Gilmour, ...its been a good month for music!

Tool's 10,000 days is as you have come to expect from Tool.  Not dissapointing at all.

JoshK

« Reply #373 on: 3 May 2006, 03:24 pm »
Mark Knopfler/Emmylou Harris - All The Roadrunning
Johnny Cash - The Legend of Johnny Cash
Willie Nelson - Stardust
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime II
The Fucking Champs - V
Kyuss - And the Circle Leaves Town
The Screaming Cheetah Willies - ST
Built To Spill/Caustic Resin - ST
Built To Spill - Perfect From Now On

mjosef

« Reply #374 on: 7 May 2006, 02:31 am »
Picked up a few bargin discs, mostly electro.
1. V.I.P Lounge 2 ~paris~ Disc 1 is termed 'Electro'. Disc2 'world music'
2. This is Chill out. A 3disc set of DJ remixes.
3. Total EUPHORIA mixed by Dave Pearce. 2Disc set.
4. Jazz records presents 'The Late Lounge'. 2Disc of sophisticated chill.
5. Electric Stew The Album. THis is a wierd looking CD set, totally black cover and linear insert with black lettering, even the dics itself does not have a 'label' per se, it looks like a double sided blank disc.
6. Grace Jones 'the collection'. Been a big fan of hers since way back in the last century. Nipple to the bottle, La vie en Rose, Feel up...classic GJ.
7. The story Of Vee-Jay, America's Premier Black Music Label. A 2disc collection of some of their greatest hits spanning the 50's, 60's and 70's.

All of the above were priced under $10. each

john1970

My recent additions..
« Reply #375 on: 7 May 2006, 04:27 am »
Recently picked up the following on CD from Tower Records:

Pop/Rock:
Enya  Amarantine
Enya  Paint the Sky with Stars (Greatest Hits upto 1997)
Eagles  Hell Freezes Over (A well-recorded live album)
Mark Knopfler  Sailing to Philadelphia
Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris  All the Roadrunning
Pearl Jam  Pearl Jam (New Album - Okay, not great IMO)
Norah Jones  Feels like Home
No Doubt  The Singles 1992-2003

Classical:
Haydn  The Seasons (in English) with Sir Thomas Beecham conducting the Royal Philharmonic.  Beecham scored the work for a full orchestra.  Although the recording shows its age (recorded in 1956) it is still very lovely to listen to.  Excellent release on EMI and reasonable @ 2CD for <13$.

Cheers,

John

agentsmith

« Reply #376 on: 7 May 2006, 06:36 am »
This past week:

Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - All the Roadrunning
Faure Requiem - Philippe Herreweghe (SACD)
Arvo Part De Profundis - Theatre of Voices, Paul Hillier (SACD)
Getz/Gilberto (SACD)
Ray Brown Trio - Live at LOA

mcrespo71

« Reply #377 on: 7 May 2006, 04:39 pm »
LP

Brand New Heavies Greatest

mjosef

« Reply #378 on: 11 May 2006, 04:15 am »
1. Moscheles~Complete Concert series /Pies Lane on piano. Stark clean piano recording by London native Pies Lane on the Hyperion label.
2. Vijay Iyer, Reimagining. THis has been way down in my que for the longest while, got bumped up to now when I heard him live with Rudesh Mahanthappa last month. He's got a nice touch on the piano.
3. THe John Scofield Band, Up all night. I like this version of John's music. I have always found his recordings somewhat...sterile, this one I really like, a balanced universal sound.
4. Mark Anthony Turnage/ John Scofield, Scorched. A meld of contempory classical composition with elements of big band jazz and small jazz trio. Initial listen(once) yielded mixed feelings, some things worked well, others felt...disjointed. Warrants further listenning.
5. Bela Fleck & the Fleckstones, Little Worlds. My very first exposure to B. Fleck, I have heard many recomendations/mention of him on this forum. This is a 3CD set, so far I have casually listenned to the 1st disc...mhnnn.

mjosef

« Reply #379 on: 19 May 2006, 07:14 pm »
Got these a couple days ago...

1. Prince, N.E.W.S. The Prince I would love to hear more of, jazz/funk instrumental
2. George Clinton & Parliament/Funkadelic. An Instant Live recording of their performance at the State Theater, Portland , ME on 3/19/04. I had heard of the technology of recording concerts live and having the discs hot off the burner available by the end of the concert for purchase, this is the first time I have actually seen/heard one of those disc. Sounds way better than what my own Sony walkman recorder could have ever done, typical (over)amplified 'live' sound with sometimes recessed vocals and other instruments and in your face bass/drums. Crank it up and close your eyes and ...its like you were there. Almost three hours, across 3 discs, of relentless live funk.
3. George CLinton & Parliament/Funkadelic, another Instant Live recording, this time at the Music Midtown Festival in Atlanta, Ga 5/1/04. 2-discs. Just in case one CD set is not enough.
4. Christian McBride, Live at Tonic. Recorded over two nights with both his regular band and some special guests dropping by like Jason Moran, Charlie Hunter, DJ Logic, etc. A 3-disc set.
5. Telarc Collection, Vol.1. Got this on recomendation posted by AC member(s). :D