Amazon Music Hd

Stefan_DR3

Re: Amazon Music Hd
« Reply #20 on: 6 Dec 2021, 01:24 am »
Sound quality would depend on the masters Amazon were given by the studios.  They usually have the latest "remastered CD" files while you may be comparing to an original CD in your collection.  Due to the "loudness wars" dynamic range can vary greatly depending who is doing the mastering.  Sometimes they have two versions and sometimes both versions are "remastered" with no indication what the differences are.

Also if you were not paying for the HD tier of service and tested with the exclusive mode bugs worked out, then forget it.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2021, 03:54 am by Stefan_DR3 »

zoom25

« Reply #21 on: 6 Jun 2022, 10:41 pm »
I've had Spotify Premium for many years and I got tired of waiting for their lossless offering, which may have been canned indefinitely for the foreseeable future. I've been supplementing Spotify with my own large lossless library with Bryston's MPD or Roon.

So right now I'm trying out Tidal Hi-fi (not Hifi Plus) again for the second time and Amazon Music HD. Unfortunately, Qobuz is still not available here in Canada. I know there is Deezer as well, but have frankly not considered that. Qobuz would have been nice to check out as it also integrates with Roon.

I've been reading up on regular Tidal's Hi-fi (non MQA) option and it turns out that anything that comes with a Master tag will basically be impossible to get away from MQA processing. It is not possible to hear the native FLAC lossless as it existed in the studio on Tidal. So like me if you thought you could play it smart and just get the regular Hifi option to avoid MQA...well you can't...not for anything that comes with a 'MASTER' tag. You'll essentially be getting a reduced version of that full 24 bit MQA stream made to look like the native FLAC 16 bit stream. That option does not exist. For older 16 bit releases that do not carry the master tag, those will actually be true 16 bit FLAC releases that were natively from the label without any MQA processing added on top.

https://goldensound.audio/2021/11/29/tidal-hifi-is-not-lossless/

So I Tidal's 16 bit Hi-fi tier versions of 'Master' albums compared to the ACTUAL LOSSLESS untouched by any MQA processing on Amazon Prime. I made sure that the volume and sample rates etc were all matched...I preferred the Amazon releases each time over long listening. Although, I can see why MQA may be enticing to some listeners, especially in short durations and fast comparisons. There were clear differences in what happens to the depth and tonality between 24 bit MQA chipped away to 16 bit FLAC vs. native lossless on Amazon. I prefer Amazon.

I preferred both Tidal and Amazon to Spotify (as expected). However, I prefer Amazon over Tidal. With new releases, which are increasingly releasing in 'MASTER' version, it in simply impossible to avoid the MQA processing. I paid for the month of Tidal but have already stopped using it and will not be renewing it. I will keep Amazon Music along with Spotify (better playlists and bigger library - or more relevant to me).

Having said that, the Amazon Music app isn't perfect. Each time you open the app, you have to manually select "Exclusive Mode" or change to preferred audio device as it goes to default each time. This is true for both Windows and Mac.

On Mac, you can only download the app from the Amazon website. On Windows, you can download the app from both the Windows store or the Amazon website. There is actually a small difference between the two. If you get the Amazon Music app from the Windows store, you will notice that the volume level is unchangeable when enabling exclusive mode. I suspect better/different permissions in how the app integrates based on whether it's downloaded from Amazon's website vs. Microsoft/Windows store.

The other thing that I don't like is that there is no automatic sample rate switching on both Windows and Mac with this app. By default, Mac OS uses 44.1 kHz and Windows uses 48 kHz.

I do most of my listening on Mac, so there isn't an issue as most songs and albums are either 16 or 24 bit 44.1 and those play natively. However, Amazon also has a lot of songs in 24/48 and 24/96 as well. Depending on what you set as the sample rate in MIDI or sound settings, Amazon's app actually changes it behaviour in what file it will output and what kind of resampling is taking place.

If you set the sample rate of your device to 24/44.1, then 16 bit and 24 bit 44.1 will have no issues. However, for tracks that come available in 24/48 or 24/96, Amazon will instead opt to send you the 16/44.1 in those cases if you select your DAC output as 24/44.1.

If you set the sample rate of your device to 24/48, then all 16 bit and 24 bit 44.1 files will be resampled. However, for those (limited, but growing) 24/48 kHZ tracks, you will get perfect playback. If the file is 24/96, Amazon will still provide the 24 bit version even if your DAC is set to 24/48 as 48 goes into 96 evenly with resampling.

Due to this reason, I prefer to keep my DAC as 24/44.1 for Amazon playback. Everything that is 16 and 24 bit 44.1 (vast majority) will be played perfectly. The remaining 24/48 and 24/96 tracks will instead be sent in their 16 bit counterparts (also at 44.1), so this option avoids any resampling in the OS.

The playlists and library isn't exactly Spotify, and this sample rate not switching or having to select audio device and toggle exclusive mode each time the app starts again isn't perfect. However, as far as sound goes, this is best sounding option I've tried so far in a streaming service. If this could be brought to Bryston, that'd be most welcome.

If you're a Canadian and want the best streaming sound quality, give Amazon Music HD a try. (Do take a minute to make sure how things are set up within the app - turn off normalization and select highest HD/Ultra HD audio option, as well as optimizing the bit and sample rate of your audio device).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 6 Jun 2022, 10:51 pm »
Hi Zoom

Have you tried Amazon with a 'wired' Ipad?

james

zoom25

« Reply #23 on: 6 Jun 2022, 11:02 pm »
Hi Zoom

Have you tried Amazon with a 'wired' Ipad?

james

No, not yet. I've only used Amazon with my NUC or Macs with USB output (w/Jitterbugs) to my two DACs, or iPhone/iPad but with wireless bluetooth headphones. Although, I do have some dongles and adapters lying around for use with Apple's iOS devices, mainly for HDMI.

zoom25

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jul 2022, 11:01 pm »
I thought I'd share the pricing on Amazon Music (here in Canada - although it should follow the same system elsewhere).

Pricing for Regular Amazon Music customers, Spotify Premium, or Tidal Hifi - $9.99 a month ($119.88/year)

If you have Amazon Prime, you can get Amazon Music for - $8.99 a month ($107.88/year)

If you have Amazon Prime, you can also save money and pay a direct annual price and avoid monthly - ($89/year)...that will save you ~ $34 with tax included in comparison to the other streaming options.

During Prime Days, they had a 3 months free offer, so I took that and then one yearly payment of $89 starting November. I still have Spotify for the family but will see what I do with that going forward.

Anyways, Amazon Music is basically the replacement of the combo of my lossless files with BDP-1 (which doesn't really work reliably anymore unfortunately).

stereoal

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jul 2022, 12:46 am »
I signed up for Amazon Music Unlimited on July 1 and I am impressed. I stream with a Mac Mini M1 fed into my Bryston BDA3 via USB. The sound quality is much better than Spotify Premium, which I've been using for years. Many tracks on Amazon are Ultra HD, which really improves the detail and soundstage. It's a good deal for $89 a year. I have a brand new BDA 3.14 which I will use starting this week instead of the BDA3. Looking forward to that.

Twiga

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jul 2022, 01:41 pm »
Just out of curiosity, why are you replacing the BDA3 with a BDA 3.14?
 :scratch:

stereoal

« Reply #27 on: 20 Jul 2022, 04:50 pm »
I'm moving the BDA3 to a secondary system to replace a BDA 1. The BDA 1 will become part of a third system. I've had the BDA3 since 2016 and it has worked flawlessly. I've never updated the software and don't use the HDMI ports. As you might guess, I have a hard time parting with stereo equipment. The amount of money I would receive from selling my used equipment pales in comparison to the enjoyment they bring. :D

zoom25

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jul 2022, 07:56 pm »
I'm using Amazon with my iMac and NUC with USB out (w/Jitterbug) to DAC and it's been a great experience so far. It sounds better than Tidal because of the MQA processing they inject into anything that has a Master tag (as mentioned above). I also like how Amazon Music plays music instantly like Spotify does. Even with Ultra HD, they load the track very fast and playback starts instantly like Spotify. For some reason, there would be a momentary gap on Tidal when you selected a new track before playback would start. I'd have loved to have Amazon Music on either Bryston BDP or Roon to have that extra option and integration. Still, this is exciting enough and I have my love for music back with everything work right and sounding great.