New Studio Monitor....Now Shipping!

grimace

Re: New Studio Monitor
« Reply #140 on: 3 Mar 2019, 03:02 pm »
My 15 year old Kodak camera (that finally died), on the lowest resolution setting, took better pictures than my daughters latest iPhone.

My experience is different.  I rarely use my Nikon D750 with a prime lens anymore, as my iPhone X Max camera covers close up photography so well and it is usually in my pocket :)   That said, everyone's got to shoot what they feel comfortable with.  DPreview does excellent reviews, so that is a good source.

I would also note that the photo upload settings on this site is pretty limiting on resolution/clarity.  It is downsampling the JPEGs a good bit.    Happy to discuss more if you want to PM me. 

For example, look at this image here compared to the same image uploaded on Instagram (file sizes are not that different either and both are compressed files):

- vs -

https://inkphy.com/media/BtTP7BjBvKa

nrenter

« Reply #141 on: 3 Mar 2019, 04:19 pm »
Agreed. My wife has an essentially unused Canon digital SLR that I’m tempted to offer as a trade, but I honestly think an iPhone gets you to where you want to go with less hassle (and possible better results). A nice camera does not ensure nice photos. YMMV.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #142 on: 3 Mar 2019, 04:26 pm »
The main thing with the iphone - use something like this, or you will always get crap pictures:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #143 on: 3 Mar 2019, 05:23 pm »
A GoPro Hero 6 takes great pictures as well as video and audio.

Best sound recording when you use it in HiRez mode I have done.

Comes with a small tripod. 

Does need a phone or PC for control, and can be used to take remote control photo/video.  Setup is mostly via the remote app.

Takes a bit of getting use to, but then you can use it in drag cars as well.

Broncosaurs

« Reply #144 on: 6 Mar 2019, 04:53 pm »
Danny, any more updates to the monitor or the dual 165s?  If putting the monitor on top of the 165s is the distance between them close enough? 

Broncosaurs

« Reply #145 on: 6 Mar 2019, 04:56 pm »
Also I know you don't care for the minidsp.  Have you had a chance to look at the 2x4HD?  Use it with this 3 way? (now it is appropriate to the thread)

Danny Richie

« Reply #146 on: 6 Mar 2019, 05:13 pm »
Danny, any more updates to the monitor or the dual 165s?  If putting the monitor on top of the 165s is the distance between them close enough?

$859 for the complete kit including the CNC cut front baffle and two sheets of No Rez.

If you want you can just run an high quality inline filter to the amp powering the Studio Monitor that consists of a single cap value that will make them -3db down in the 80Hz to 100Hz range.

Then build a matching box for it to sit on that has two or even three M-165/16 woofers in it in a sealed box and power it with a separate sub woofer style plate amp. You could even use an inline filter with that plate amp to roll off the first octave and use a servo sub for the bottom end. And then you have complete control over the lower end. So it will be easy to balance the output and get a flat response in any room.

And that would be a killer combination.

Danny Richie

« Reply #147 on: 6 Mar 2019, 05:18 pm »
Also I know you don't care for the minidsp.  Have you had a chance to look at the 2x4HD?  Use it with this 3 way? (now it is appropriate to the thread)

Agh, please don't take on of the best sounding stand mounted speakers you can buy and put that in front of it. As far as budget level products go those are one of the worst.

Here is what I'd recommend for the best budget level DAC. And by Budget level I mean anything under $1,000. Have a look at the Music Streamer HD: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/viewpoint-hrt-music-streamer-hd/  I had one that had some upgraded RCA connectors and then it was cryo treated, and that DAC sounded really good.

Broncosaurs

« Reply #148 on: 7 Mar 2019, 08:31 pm »
I need a little help with some numbers.  I put in 3 each M165-16s in a 2.98 sealed box using winISD.  Numbers show the three woofers  @ 61hz, 3db down.  Cone excursion at max with very little power (10w).  Is 3 M165s sealed what is needed to blend with the monitor?

Danny Richie

« Reply #149 on: 8 Mar 2019, 12:23 am »
I need a little help with some numbers.  I put in 3 each M165-16s in a 2.98 sealed box using winISD.  Numbers show the three woofers  @ 61hz, 3db down.  Cone excursion at max with very little power (10w).  Is 3 M165s sealed what is needed to blend with the monitor?

That is about what each woofer will handle at 20Hz. You don't need them to play that low.

Three of them in parallel will hit 98db with 1 watt input. If you compensate for a full 6db of baffle step loss you're down to 92db. And the old 9db down point is now the 3db down point and that would be at about 39Hz.

That will do.

Broncosaurs

« Reply #150 on: 13 Mar 2019, 07:51 pm »
Would the signal for the plate amps come from splitting the low level signal into two, with one going to the cap->amp to roll off the monitor and the other going to the plate amp?

Danny Richie

« Reply #151 on: 13 Mar 2019, 08:00 pm »
Would the signal for the plate amps come from splitting the low level signal into two, with one going to the cap->amp to roll off the monitor and the other going to the plate amp?

This would be ideal:

Danny Richie

Re: New Studio Monitor....Now Shipping!
« Reply #152 on: 16 Mar 2019, 08:55 pm »
These are now in stock and shipping.

rofo

« Reply #153 on: 18 Mar 2019, 01:44 am »
Where would one order them? link

Danny Richie

« Reply #154 on: 18 Mar 2019, 01:31 pm »
Where would one order them? link

Call GR Research: 940-592-3400

howburger

« Reply #155 on: 20 Mar 2019, 10:55 pm »
I've been looking at these to build for a friend of mine. Couldn't tell from looking through the thread but does the kit include pieces for a frame that acoustically transparent grill material can be stretched over? Thanx.

howburger

« Reply #156 on: 20 Mar 2019, 10:57 pm »
I've been looking at these to build for a friend of mine. Couldn't tell from looking through the thread but does the kit include pieces for a frame that acoustically transparent grill material can be stretched over? Thanx.

For the top cover that is.

Danny Richie

« Reply #157 on: 20 Mar 2019, 11:04 pm »
The kit doesn't include a frame for the upper grill. Those are not too hard to cut, but if it is a deal breaker let me know and I'll cut you a couple. I did make a jig for it.

howburger

« Reply #158 on: 20 Mar 2019, 11:31 pm »
Thanks Danny. No, not a deal breaker. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for your offer too.

dvenardos

« Reply #159 on: 11 Apr 2019, 05:50 am »
Call GR Research: 940-592-3400
Are you going to add them to the website?
Finding time during the day is always tough.