OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs

BobRex

Re: OB H-Frame Flat Packs
« Reply #180 on: 8 Aug 2016, 06:43 pm »
In regards to the triple currently under construction (or a double, or quad for that matter), what would happen if you pushed the baffle to the front of the "box", so that the speaker looked like a traditional package?  This assumes you would have all drivers facing forward.  Would this give you equivalent performance?

Danny Richie

« Reply #181 on: 8 Aug 2016, 07:25 pm »
In regards to the triple currently under construction (or a double, or quad for that matter), what would happen if you pushed the baffle to the front of the "box", so that the speaker looked like a traditional package?  This assumes you would have all drivers facing forward.  Would this give you equivalent performance?

Then it puts a lot of pressure on the side panels that are now much deeper. So they have to be much beefier. It also limits how high they can play before the upper range overtones create a resonance in that cavity. It cuts the upper range down to less than half.

bdp24

« Reply #182 on: 8 Aug 2016, 11:54 pm »

If you get the optional inset grill frames, with grill cloth hiding the woofers the OB Subs DO look like a traditional package. Having the baffles in the middle of the frame is a big part of the OB design---you don't want to change that.

Captainhemo

« Reply #183 on: 9 Aug 2016, 12:27 am »
If you get the optional inset grill frames, with grill cloth hiding the woofers the OB Subs DO look like a traditional package. Having the baffles in the middle of the frame is a big part of the OB design---you don't want to change that.

The inset grills are popular (thanks Eric :beer:)   I don't think  a pair has  gone out yet without grills.  We've  got  the duals  with  either both  front/rear or just fronts

jay

orientalexpress

« Reply #184 on: 9 Aug 2016, 12:35 am »
Jay Flat packs is one of the best i ever i put together,but i have to warn you,this thing is heavy which is a good thing when is come to subwoofers. :thumb: :thumb:

BobRex

« Reply #185 on: 9 Aug 2016, 01:37 am »
Then it puts a lot of pressure on the side panels that are now much deeper. So they have to be much beefier. It also limits how high they can play before the upper range overtones create a resonance in that cavity. It cuts the upper range down to less than half.

Not necessarily.  If you took the Hframe and just cut off the front at the baffle, you wouldn't be extending the sides, so no additional pressure, nor does the cavity change.  How much would the rigidity suffer at that point?  And what does the front half of the frame contribute to the sound of forward firing woofers?

Keep in mind, I'm not criticizing the design; consider this as a thought exercise.

BobRex

« Reply #186 on: 9 Aug 2016, 01:38 am »

If you are using push pull woofers, I agree.  But if both woofers are firing forward.....

Captainhemo

« Reply #187 on: 9 Aug 2016, 01:55 am »
Not necessarily.  If you took the Hframe and just cut off the front at the baffle, you wouldn't be extending the sides, so no additional pressure, nor does the cavity change.  How much would the rigidity suffer at that point?  And what does the front half of the frame contribute to the sound of forward firing woofers?

Keep in mind, I'm not criticizing the design; consider this as a thought exercise.

You'd lose a lot of output I think

jay

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #188 on: 9 Aug 2016, 02:13 am »

Yes, if instead of moving the the center of the baffle forward and you just chopped off the sides on the front half then the back sides would have no more pressure on it than before. However, you just cut in half the front to back wave separation, and slightly unloaded the driver. So the cancellation effect front to back would come sooner and they would tend to not play as low or the drivers would reach X-Max sooner trying to maintain the same SPL levels. There is no benefit to it, just some drawbacks.

Captainhemo

« Reply #189 on: 9 Aug 2016, 02:49 am »
Jay Flat packs is one of the best i ever i put together,but i have to warn you,this thing is heavy which is a good thing when is come to subwoofers. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks man :)
Your subs turned out great , feel free to share some pics or if you prefer, wait until your grills /no rez  is all done  !!

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #190 on: 29 Sep 2016, 06:04 pm »
Well, better late than never.... after a year or so,  these teal riples finally got their white  external grills. I'd have taken a system shot with them but unfortunately, they are sitting in a hallway  right now, hopefully back in service soon

I haven't been cutting any packs with external grills but if anyone prefers them,  it wouldn't be an issue

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #191 on: 12 Oct 2016, 03:14 am »
Been a while but here are a few  pics of the Indian Apple Wood (Tineo) subs. We're just finishing up the amp boxes, hopefully in for lacquer this weekend 

More pics after lacquer

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #192 on: 12 Oct 2016, 03:56 am »
Wow, those look great.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #193 on: 12 Oct 2016, 04:16 am »
That's a very nice grain and color pattern. The finish is really going to make it stand out.

Captainhemo

« Reply #194 on: 12 Oct 2016, 04:26 am »
Not the greatest light but here's one after a cabinet has been wiped down with  minerael spirits to  give an idea of what they'll  look like after the finish is applied

jseipp

« Reply #195 on: 12 Oct 2016, 06:42 am »
More great work, Jay!
I'm excited to get my next shipment!!

ebag4

« Reply #196 on: 12 Oct 2016, 12:08 pm »
Wow, those look great.
X2 :thumb:
Thanks for posting these Jay, I really like the units without the top and bottom overhang.

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #197 on: 12 Oct 2016, 03:23 pm »
Thanks guys, wish  we could take credit for the fine veneer work but we had an outside source  do this one
We're working on our skills  wrapping the amp boxes which are coming along nicely

Captainhemo

« Reply #198 on: 16 Oct 2016, 03:23 am »
A little more progress

We finally finshed venerring  the amp boxes, took a  bit longer than  we had  initially figured

mg]http://www.audiocircle.com/im
[iage.php?id=152037[/img]

This afternoon the cabinets went out to the finishers .... we hung ou there for a bit  while he  sealed the   cabients/veneeer,  really bought things to life

Hopefully, we'll have some final rsults letaer in the week

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #199 on: 16 Oct 2016, 03:46 am »
Jay,

They look really nice with the sealer. Should really be something with the lacquer.

Mike