Leaving tomorrow for Montreal / new product

lazydays

« Reply #60 on: 27 Mar 2006, 06:09 pm »
Quote from: AlexG
Gary,

What you are referring as a pop and/or boom is most likely what is known as a “thump” (low frequency noise) occurred most often when certain power amps are either turned on or off! This is most frequently a design issue and as long as the “thump” is light in nature is of no concern. If this noise comes from your CJ tube power amp, you will always have this noise no matter what preamp you have up front! This also indicates that the design does not have a delayed circuit at the outputs triggered by a ...

well this pretty much answers my concerns. this is why I've never put the CJ or the Quicksilver in front those mono blocs. The thump was not soch an issue here as was speaker damage. I think I'll be OK, and think now I have a new project for up and comming weekend! When the boss gets back home I'll be ordering myself a new preamp.
gary

Doug_B

« Reply #61 on: 27 Mar 2006, 08:35 pm »
Quote from: Sonny
Doug, so, you leave the amps on but not the pre?  That is strange, wouldn't that make the speakers get amplified noise?  Are we supposed to turn the pre then the amps on then off with the amps then pre?  But if you leave the amps on without the pre, that can't be good, can it, for the speakers?

Yes, I would think that there's the higher potential of risk to the speakers  based on some external influence if the amps are on all the time. Of course, there is a steady state background noise from the system, however low it might be, that is continually pumped through the speakers.

I don't leave my pre on all the time because I don't like the resulting sound of my music. Note, though, that my pre has HT bypass which is active when the unit is powered off, so that connection is thus active starting from the main outs of the HT controller (if the controller is off). The amp does get turned off for any cabling changes to the system.

Doug

MaxCast

« Reply #62 on: 27 Mar 2006, 09:55 pm »
Plus, the power button is on the back.  And I would never suggest putting it on the front.

Anyone seen a centerfold of the new pre yet?  Come on Klaus, give us some skin!

John151

« Reply #63 on: 28 Mar 2006, 01:12 am »
I leave my amp on 24x7, but turn the Pre-amp off when not in use.  I switch the Pre into HT bypass mode before turning it off to avoid the thump in the speakers.

BobC

Bump
« Reply #64 on: 29 Mar 2006, 04:55 pm »
I'm with MaxCast.  Bump!  Let's see some picks!   :D

Any chance the website will be updated accordingly any time soon?

MaxCast

Re: Bump
« Reply #65 on: 29 Mar 2006, 05:06 pm »
Quote from: BobC

:rotflmao:

tfroncek

« Reply #66 on: 30 Mar 2006, 03:03 am »

I think if we had started a contest way back when on which would happen first: a tube pre-amp from Klaus or that he would update his website, well I'm surprised which one came in first but I'm not that surprised  :lol:

BobC

« Reply #67 on: 30 Mar 2006, 03:24 am »
I guess I'll just have to get my info from the sg and mx websites!  It's just such a basic part of business anymore that an out of date web-site is frustrating.  I guess I'm just impatient....and maybe spoiled :lol:

There seems to be some members around here that have the inside scoop.  How 'bout it AlexG?

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #68 on: 30 Mar 2006, 10:07 am »
OK Guys,  I'm back.  Tired like hell,  but I made it,  and without a speeding ticket,  ha.

MaxCast,  : :uzi:

Actually,  Alex and I already shot about 100 new pictures,  with more to do,  and in early May I have a layout meeting with the web guy.  Who knows,  maybe wonders really happen.  Problem with everything Odyssey is that I just have the need of doing everything myself.  If there would be 60 hours in the day,  I would spend 50 of them trying to be a one-man band.  Aaaargh.,  but I have great people around me,  like Alex.

Anyway,  the show was very good,  and this was the very first time that I was able to actually listen to the Candela in its final form and within a system that I am intimately familiar with for hours on end:  Just plain awesome.  I can easily  stake my years of reputation on saying that you will be hard pressed finding a comparable  tube preamp at this cost.  

The inevidable comparison to teh Tempest ?  Well,  the Tempest is very,  very hard to beat for the cost,  figuring that it is a $ 3700.  Symphonic Line preamp,  especially in its Extreme version.  Very simple to me though:  tubes or solid state,  take your pick.  Whatever turns you on.  I honestly like them both equally.  With the Candela you'll have to go external phono stage,  the Tempest has it included.  Both units can have second outs and an AVBypass and Remote control.  And the killer is that both units are somewhat similar,   striving for absolute harmonic correctness and precision and liquid and seemless musicality.  And both units succeed wildly beyond their price points,  period.  Are they the best there are ?  Of course not,  duh,  but for the money,  I feel very,  very good at giving a second choice in a different direction.

Also,  it is important to point out that that even though they sound similar,  there can be huge differences in some systems,  depending of course on:?  Synergy,  you got it.  The thing that I am preaching for anearly 20 years,  and of course,  is always the bitch slave of ones own personal taste as well.  Then there is also the psychological effect of wanting to have tubes.  Sure,  some system might benefit from it for the owner,  but there still is that general 1980's notion of a tube romance,  of softening,  etc.   This is hardly the reality of the pure musical experience.  It might be to one's taste,  but it still is wrong,  especially the oh so beautiful distortion of 2nd and 5th harmonics.  Nice to listen to,  and I love it as well.  Problem is,  that after an hour or so I always notice the lack of grip,  Mocksy,  precision,  speed,  control,  you name it.  Just exactly the opposite of the fatigue of digital gear to my ears.  Again,  if somebody likes this flavor,  more power to them,  and they found their sonic Nirvana.  Got to envy them,  but that's not me.  I've been to too many (hundreds and hundreds)  different concerts,  and have listened to too many (thousands) systems to be satisfied with anything less than what I perceive to be an illusion of the real thing.  Yes,  I know that the musical memory loss within 10 seconds is a real ain in the ass,  but one has to go with a gut feeling.  When it seems to be right,  then go for it.  After all,  that's why we have the variety,  why we have the intellectual vs. the emotional  side of taste in musical systems.  And man,  the Candela to me seems very right.

One other thing that I want to stretch here is that a former notion of the output being too high is incorrect.  Actually,  I have to agree that the vast majority of systems today with the tendency of more open and airy and modern  living spaces do benefit from tubes in the system.  Again,  to me,  complete tube systems are very seductive,  but they can be overly so as described earlier.  Digital amps,  man oh man,  can they ever benefit from a tubed preamp.  Mostly though the majority of systems out there are still solid state based,  which can be either a good thing or a beast to deal with.  This 2 sided monster has Alex and me prompted to produce the Candela.  Of course it will fit with tubes,  and really,  is a perfect solution for digital amps,  but first and foremost we have designed it to be a perfect match with solid state amplifiers.  So far,  every single match with ss amps,  starting of course with our own,  has been absolutely fantastic in the synergy department,  and I really believe that we are on to something here.

Now,  speaking from my own experience and taste,  when matching designs,  please don't go with a ss pre and a tubed amp.  In every single case that I can think of a tube pre and ss amp combines the strengths of the 2 different designs much,  much better./  So,  I want to have the perfect solution for anybody with a ss or digital amp,  and I really believe that within reason we have nailed it !!!!

Lastly,  a word about the performance of the Candela itself.  Like  I said before,  there is a romantic but misguided notion about tube preamps.  Well,  forget romanticism.  The Candela is definitely a new breed of tubes.  Very,  very  fast and controlled,  up to 100,000 Hz,  which results in speed and energy,  and very precise,  yet airy,  full,  and three dimensional.  I love it.

Hope that this answers some of your (and unspoken) questions and thoughts,

Klaus

bunky

« Reply #69 on: 30 Mar 2006, 11:14 am »
Quote from: klaus@odyssey
OK Guys,  I'm back.  Tired like hell,  but I made it,  and without a speeding ticket,  ha.

MaxCast,  : :uzi:

Actually,  Alex and I already shot about 100 new pictures,  with more to do,  and in early May I have a layout meeting with the web guy.  Who knows,  maybe wonders really happen.  Problem with everything Odyssey is that I just have the need of doing everything myself.  If there would be 60 hours in the day,  I would spend 50 of them trying to be a one-man band.  Aaaargh.,  but I have great peo ...
Hey Klaus ,how about some more pictures man ?as soon as i am able you can put me on the list for the Candela. thanks....WCW III

BobC

« Reply #70 on: 30 Mar 2006, 02:26 pm »
So is there a Candela Extreme version too?  Or one planned in the future?  And what would the differences be?

:?:

Thanks!   :D

Randy

« Reply #71 on: 30 Mar 2006, 06:05 pm »
Klaus, when you have a chance, some of us were intrigued by the mention of an Extreme Mono "SE" version.  What's that?

RB

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #72 on: 30 Mar 2006, 07:05 pm »
There seems to be some members around here that have the inside scoop. How 'bout it AlexG?

Well…you got the answer from the man itself!  :D

So is there a Candela Extreme version too? Or one planned in the future? And what would the differences be?

The Candela in its current stage from a circuit design point of view is pretty much complete…of course there is always some space for further improvements. Parts quality well above other comparable offerings, that includes to name a few…Vishay resistors, Wima by-pass caps, Alps volume pot, Sonicap for output coupling caps and ceramic (tubes) sockets. Source inputs are all relay controlled.

The other nice issue is the self-option to swap tubes (ECC82/12AU7) to your liking. We have chosen in the initial stage to use JJ’s (Slovak Republic). They are current production, very consistent and well made. It only gets better with other tubes… I have heard the Candela extensible with a variety of different tubes and believe me, the magic gets better and better…is a matter of personal taste and type of source music. :guitar:

Regarding other options like remote control, by-pass, additional outputs, etc., Klaus has the final say.  

Alex

Sonny

tube pre from Odyssey
« Reply #73 on: 30 Mar 2006, 07:20 pm »
Where is Klaus?
What about a trade in policy with the SS Pre...from Klaus?

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #74 on: 30 Mar 2006, 07:21 pm »
If there would be 60 hours in the day, I would spend 50 of them trying to be a one-man band. Aaaargh., but I have great people around me, like Alex.

Thanks for the compliments…likewise. :bowdown:

Truth is that this project (and the rest :shh:) would not had happened without you around!

:bounce:

Alex

mcrespo71

« Reply #75 on: 30 Mar 2006, 10:05 pm »
Glad you had a good show.  Was odyssey in any of the webzines coverage of the show so we can see pics this way?

F-100

« Reply #76 on: 30 Mar 2006, 11:16 pm »
Common Santa Klaus!!! I know it's only March but you can come down the chimney and show us some pictures of your new toy.  :drums:

ckunstadt

« Reply #77 on: 1 Apr 2006, 02:59 am »
Klaus,
Will there (can there) be some provision for balanced inputs and outputs even though it may not be a true balanced design?
thanks

AJS

« Reply #78 on: 8 Apr 2006, 04:14 am »
I think instead of the Audible Illusions Modulus 3A pre that I was going to get, I may instead order a Candela and give it a try.  :scratch:  Mind you, the AI is a wonderful sounding pre and is a giant-killer in its own right - I've owned one before - but it's also over 2.5 times the MSRP of Klaus' new unit.

Maybe the Candela will be "the giant-killer's giant-killer"?!

peakrchau

• http://www.angelfire.com/ca/rchau/audio.html
Pics of Oddysey at Montreal Show
« Reply #79 on: 8 Apr 2006, 01:37 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
...Was odyssey in any of the webzines coverage of the show so we can see pics this way?

There was a page from the Audio Federation coverage of the show. I met Klaus and Odyssey products for the first time and he introduced me to his Candela preamp. I thought I liked it better than the solid state unit as he played a cut from a CD that my friend had brought.  I generally need to have a component in my system to make any sort of informed comments about a component but it sounded very promising. Little did I know that Klaus had already voiced his preferences onto this unit...it can be tough waiting for people to come around. He was very nice and to the point and put an nice folder of information in my hands before I left. I would say I'm the sort of person that his company is targetting. Cheers.

P.S. Take a peek at my Son et Image report...with some comments on the Odyssey room.