New OS3 to replace Manic Moose

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
New OS3 to replace Manic Moose
« on: 20 Jun 2022, 05:17 pm »
I’m wondering if all attention is being put towards the new software development and the latest MM issues are being ignored?
Case in point….latest firmware update and the database functionality, posted earlier.

Anyone who can shed some light in this would be helpful.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: New OS3 to replace Manic Moose
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2022, 12:04 am »
I don't really have much to share, but yes attention is being shifted away form Manic Moose and into the thing that will replace it.

Chris

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2022, 12:21 am »
Can we get a rollback to the previous MM posted so we can get our database functions back?
Thanks Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2022, 03:54 pm »
Can we get a rollback to the previous MM posted so we can get our database functions back?
Thanks Chris

I'm not convinced that what your experiencing is a new issue, the feature has been working fine on my test units and I'm not sure how wide spread the issue is as I'm only aware of your reporting of the issue.  The best I can offer at this time is you turn on service mode on your unit and email me the service id.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2022, 03:57 pm »
I'm not convinced that what your experiencing is a new issue, the feature has been working fine on my test units and I'm not sure how wide spread the issue is as I'm only aware of your reporting of the issue.  The best I can offer at this time is you turn on service mode on your unit and email me the service id.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

At least one other person has stated that they have the same issue in another post here.
I’ll email you
Thanks Chris

abk456

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2022, 09:21 pm »
That would be me!

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2022, 09:29 pm »
That would be me!

Hi you!
You can email Chris too if you want your unit looked at.
Put you unit into service mode and email him the service id that comes up.
He’s helped me out with a couple of things.

crice@bryston.com

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2022, 02:19 am »
Once again Chris @Bryston has solved the issue! Apparently the Bryston database can be reset if corrupted, which I guess mine was! Who knew!!
Also there’s a cache clearing function that I was also not aware of. That can get filled up I understand.
A better examination of the options would have saved a lot of frustration on my end!
The take away for me is that the manual isn’t enough, you have to explore on your own and ask questions here.

Hope the new OS3 has a better manual.

Again a big thank you to Chris for your time! 🙏

gbaby

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2022, 02:04 pm »
I got the feeling that the new upgrade will increase the price of this unit exponentially.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2022, 02:21 pm »
I got the feeling that the new upgrade will increase the price of this unit exponentially.

Why’s that?

Firmware updates have been free all along.

gbaby

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2022, 11:04 pm »
Why’s that?

Firmware updates have been free all along.

I may be wrong, but in my opinion, folks complain about manic moose because it doesn't have the fancy interface of units like Aurender. But, when I look at units like the Aurender, that fancy interface does not impress me as it cost exponentially more, and as a matter of practicality, I like the Manic Moose interface that gets the job done. When I load my music, I could care less about the interface as I'm solely concerned with accessing my music conveniently. I don't care about the computer screen. Please tell me what I am missing in my logic as I am not sensitive, but I want to continue to grow. In any event, the cost of a BRAND NEW interface will have to increase the cost of newer units.Look at the time and effort it would take. You'd have to pay me. I'm just glad I can access thousands of compositions instantantly now with Manic Moose..

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2022, 11:43 pm »
Tru dat,
Don’t care about the fancy whatever.. give me my tunes.
Simple and to the point.
Don’t need to be glazed over with whatever,I’m here for the MUSIC.
Sides I don’t read much,love audio more,
No distractions :thumb:
Manic Moose does what it is suppose to PLAY ThE DAMN SONG ALREADY.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2022, 12:23 am »
If manic moose didn’t have issues like the ones I’ve mentioned in other posts, I would be happy with it too.
I’m hoping the new OS won’t cause a price increase, but that’s Bryston’s call. What I am looking for is a STABLE OS, not a cosmetic upgrade. I’m with you guys on the “just play the music already!!”
However, with the quality and cost of the units, shouldn’t they include a comparable quality of software in the first place. I don’t think MM is on the same level as Bryston hardware quality. Just sayin…

drummermitchell

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2022, 01:42 am »
Well the only issue I’ve ever had with MM or the bdp-2 is when it stopped responding(that’s about 4 times a year) which I’ve Bitched about as it is a-computer yet my home PC nada a problem for YEARS.
Which I’m sure the pc is a bit more sophisticated than the bdp 2.
Other than unplugging it and waiting to reboot alls been great.
Just can’t fathom why Bryston missed something with the bdps,where you have to shut it down and unplug and then redo everything again,
Definitely something not right and my home pc is over 10 yrs old...Hellloooooo.

Clive197

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2022, 08:53 am »
Manic Moose is 9 years old and if all you want or need is to just play your tunes, then all well and good. If the good people at Bryston thought that then they would not be spending time and money writing a new operating system. I have had my moans and groans with MM and am definitely looking forward to OS3.

gbaby

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2022, 01:51 pm »
Manic Moose is 9 years old and if all you want or need is to just play your tunes, then all well and good. If the good people at Bryston thought that then they would not be spending time and money writing a new operating system. I have had my moans and groans with MM and am definitely looking forward to OS3.

The BDPs themselves are older. My SP3 is older. If a software works, its age is irrelevant. I have had issues with Manic Moose in the past, but I can easily charge it to the nothing is perfect category. I had a playlist on my BDP3 running for days. It hung up once, and a reboot solved the issue. It may have been a voltage drop or whatever, I don't know. But, if possible, I'd like some specific articulable facts on what's patently wrong with Manic Moose, as is.

Clive197

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2022, 05:39 pm »
I'd like some specific articulable facts on what's patently wrong with Manic Moose, as is.

1 I’ve never been able to remove an album from favourites when using Qobuz.
2 When in Artist information I can’t scroll down.
3 when in other albums I can’t scroll down.
4 To use Qobuz, I need to go into Qobuz app add and remove favourites and the then go back to MM.
5 Clunky.
6 When an album finishes why do you need to clear queue manually.

As an aside, if you would like an example of a well thought out control method I would suggest looking at how Auralic and Naim amongst others do it. They are not perfect but far more user friendly that MM.

gbaby

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2022, 08:13 pm »
1 I’ve never been able to remove an album from favourites when using Qobuz.
2 When in Artist information I can’t scroll down.
3 when in other albums I can’t scroll down.
4 To use Qobuz, I need to go into Qobuz app add and remove favourites and the then go back to MM.
5 Clunky.
6 When an album finishes why do you need to clear queue manually.

As an aside, if you would like an example of a well thought out control method I would suggest looking at how Auralic and Naim amongst others do it. They are not perfect but far more user friendly that MM.

Seemingly, all the flaws relate to the use of Qobuz. I would never have these issues as I don't and will never use Qobuz. I still purchase CDs and when I compared a Qobuz sample versus the uncompressed music I imported, my own imported compositions sound much better than Qobuz. It seems like a tremendous amount of effort to tackle these rather minor issues. Rest assured that the new OS3 will introduce a different set of problems. As you noted, Auralic and Naim are not perfect. I don't understand how they can be more user friendly than the BDPs, but this is a personal or subjective call. The user friendly reference is rather vague. I do not mean this offensively, but thats what it is to me. In any event, I appreciate you sharing your opinion.
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2022, 09:27 pm by gbaby »

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #18 on: 30 Jun 2022, 01:22 pm »
Seemingly, all the flaws relate to the use of Qobuz. I would never have these issues as I don't and will never use Qobuz.

Actually, I’ve never used Qobuz either, but the same issue is still there. That’s the inability to remove songs from the favourites list. Chris at Bryston has acknowledged that this had slipped thru the cracks, as it were.

gbaby

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jun 2022, 04:08 pm »
Actually, I’ve never used Qobuz either, but the same issue is still there. That’s the inability to remove songs from the favourites list. Chris at Bryston has acknowledged that this had slipped thru the cracks, as it were.

I believe this issue was reported fixed in a post above. If this is true, I'd still like to know what else is the new operating system supposed to solve. The problem I see with a new system is that I spent too much time trying to learn the old system and to configure it to my needs. There is a learning curve for a new system and from what I have read, it makes no sense in changing from the old one. Manic Moose's interface is very easy on the eyes. I think at this point maybe Bryston, itself, wil need tol state what improvements they are making with the new operating system besides aesthetics for the interface.