The New Yamaha NS 5000's are coming out next summer !!

Guy 13

Re: The New Yamaha NS 5000's are coming out next summer !!
« Reply #60 on: 9 Sep 2016, 11:01 am »
How about we stick to useful and/or interesting discussion about the NS-5000 and let George wander off without us? Maybe he meant Dahlquist. In any case, it's pretty far off topic.

:thumb:

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #61 on: 9 Sep 2016, 11:10 am »
How about we stick to useful and/or interesting discussion about the NS-5000 and let George wander off without us? Maybe he meant Dahlquist. In any case, it's pretty far off topic.
George is a funny guy, he has a different look to see things,
a new approach may be useful in science sometimes.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #62 on: 9 Sep 2016, 12:07 pm »
George is a funny guy, he has a different look to see things,
a new approach may be useful in science sometimes.
In science? Russell is asking (politely) for examples and documentation, two things required of scientific protocol. George has furnished neither. I agree that he is prone to unsupportable positions and questionable assertions. Show me the science behind his comments. I can't see any.

nocrapman

« Reply #63 on: 9 Sep 2016, 12:27 pm »
Any updates on availability stateside or beyond?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #64 on: 9 Sep 2016, 02:36 pm »
In science? Russell is asking (politely) for examples and documentation, two things required of scientific protocol. George has furnished neither. I agree that he is prone to unsupportable positions and questionable assertions. Show me the science behind his comments. I can't see any.
Correct, incredible how he place himself in these hard positions.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #65 on: 9 Sep 2016, 02:39 pm »
Correct, incredible how he place himself in these hard positions.

The Irony is Strong in this one. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #66 on: 9 Sep 2016, 03:10 pm »
The Irony is Strong in this one.
No, I dont mean to be ironic.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #67 on: 9 Sep 2016, 04:07 pm »
Is it possible, dear sirs, to get back to the NS 5000 and anything even remotely related?  Thanks.

OzarkTom

OzarkTom

trackball02

« Reply #70 on: 10 Sep 2016, 12:54 am »
Article and interview on the 5000

http://www.avhub.com.au/features/sound-image/yamaha-ns-5000---full-story-interview-429975

Thanks for the link. I learned a lot about my NS-1000 and it's construction. I think the author is not correct in stating the ebony wood is solid. On mine, it looks like really high quality veneer.

The science about driver material is fascinating. Also, I never hear of "fake" beryllium. Do you know what brands have such drivers?

OzarkTom

« Reply #71 on: 10 Sep 2016, 01:20 am »
Thanks for the link. I learned a lot about my NS-1000 and it's construction. I think the author is not correct in stating the ebony wood is solid. On mine, it looks like really high quality veneer.

The science about driver material is fascinating. Also, I never hear of "fake" beryllium. Do you know what brands have such drivers?

Have you seen this site on modding the 1000's?

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Yamaha-NS1000.htm

Guy 13

« Reply #72 on: 10 Sep 2016, 03:43 am »
Tom, that link is very interesting,
but found the modifications to be labor intensive,
but cannot comment on the sound improvement.

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #73 on: 10 Sep 2016, 03:46 am »

I've seen that and paid close attention to it—reading it over and over. I may go for it. This also interests me:
http://www.audionostalgia.co.uk/diy_yamaha_ns1000m_75l_bass_reflex.php
as an enclosure mod. It's also interesting what he says about the effects of modding the crossover.

This paper is germane when it comes to assessing the performance of beryllium as a material for domes, as compared to titanium and aluminum (pages 12-14):
https://materion.com/~/media/Files/PDFs/Electrofusion/PLS2011PAPERFINAL.pdf

Guy 13

« Reply #74 on: 10 Sep 2016, 03:59 am »
Russell that another interesting link, (Thanks)
again, I must say that the modifications are
labor intensive, but looking at the finish result,
I am sure it's worth all the investment in material and labor.

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam

trackball02

« Reply #75 on: 10 Sep 2016, 02:46 pm »

Yes, I have read this detailed cross over upgrade. My main concern was that the high and mid controls will no longer be working.
Instead, I installed an upgraded crossover made by magicmarksy who sells on ebay. It is a drop in replacement and I also upgraded the binding posts. The results are fine. I noticed that there was a bump in volume and clarity without changing the sonic signature of the speaker.

Here is is description on what he did:

1.  The 22 gauge solid core + and - input wires from the back panel to the crossover has been replaced with Monster Cable XP-HP.

2.  The Tweeter capacitor has been upgraded from a 2.7uF 100V Electrolytic to a 2.7uF 250V Metalized Polypropylene Foil Precision 1% Audio Capacitor.

3.  The Midrange capacitors has been upgraded from a 21uF 100V Electrolytic and a 3.5uF 100V Electrolytic to 21 uF and a 3.5 uF Metalized Polypropylene Foil Precision 1% Audio Capacitors.

4.  The Woofer capacitor has been upgraded from a 94uF 50V Electrolytic capacitor to a 94uF 400V Metalized Polypropylene Foil Precision 5% German Audio Capacitor.

The new upgraded unit can simply replace the old standard stock unit, plug and play, nothing else needed to be changed and nothing else has been changed.

OzarkTom

« Reply #76 on: 10 Sep 2016, 04:49 pm »
Yes, I have read this detailed cross over upgrade. My main concern was that the high and mid controls will no longer be working.
Instead, I installed an upgraded crossover made by magicmarksy who sells on ebay. It is a drop in replacement and I also upgraded the binding posts. The results are fine. I noticed that there was a bump in volume and clarity without changing the sonic signature of the speaker.

Here is is description on what he did:

1.  The 22 gauge solid core + and - input wires from the back panel to the crossover has been replaced with Monster Cable XP-HP.

2.  The Tweeter capacitor has been upgraded from a 2.7uF 100V Electrolytic to a 2.7uF 250V Metalized Polypropylene Foil Precision 1% Audio Capacitor.

3.  The Midrange capacitors has been upgraded from a 21uF 100V Electrolytic and a 3.5uF 100V Electrolytic to 21 uF and a 3.5 uF Metalized Polypropylene Foil Precision 1% Audio Capacitors.

4.  The Woofer capacitor has been upgraded from a 94uF 50V Electrolytic capacitor to a 94uF 400V Metalized Polypropylene Foil Precision 5% German Audio Capacitor.

The new upgraded unit can simply replace the old standard stock unit, plug and play, nothing else needed to be changed and nothing else has been changed.

So how do they sound compared to your unmodifides, lots better?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #77 on: 10 Sep 2016, 06:31 pm »
This is another report on the effects of upgrading caps. I thought it was part of my last link (to the bass reflex cabinet mod), but I see is was not:

http://www.audionostalgia.co.uk/review_yamaha_ns-1000m.php

It is not really definitive, as the author admits to not using 'high end' caps, just 'basic film' for his mod, nevertheless he seems underwhelmed by the results.

My concern with the Troels Gravesen mod is that he changes the nature of the frequency response and from what I have read (I will soon find out) the fundamental strength of the NS-1000 is its effectiveness in mixing audio (like the NS-10) in that the results tend to sound great on most other speakers. I'm not sure that this characteristic will be retained if the fundamental frequency response is altered.

One other note about the NS-1000 is that apparently it was intended to be used flat against a solid wall. This, obviously, would have a large impact on bass voicing. I see most contemporary users position them at some distance from the wall behind them in what has become a norm for speaker placement, and most find the bass light—perhaps as a result of this. It appears that Yamaha, who called these speakers 'bookshelf', actually meant it in some ways!

This is from page 3 of a blurry copy of the owners manual:

trackball02

« Reply #78 on: 10 Sep 2016, 08:24 pm »
So how do they sound compared to your unmodifides, lots better?

Not a tremendous difference, and I was not expecting a lot since I the crossover caps are of similar value. Subjectively, there was some improvement in the clarity and volume. I think the L-pads are more responsive.

I just wanted to make sure that the decades old caps are replaced and that the speakers are playing at their full potential. These are keepers!

I have them fairly close to the rear walls since they are not ported.Not required to drag these beasts into the center of the room.
I was able to find speaker stands that are custom made for these speakers. They re made of 1 inch tubular steel, sand filled and are about 12 " high. Sturdy stands are an absolute requirement.
The NS 5000s look like they have custom built stands that are probably a must have. I wonder what the total price will be in the USA?

OzarkTom

« Reply #79 on: 12 Sep 2016, 01:39 am »
Expect $8K or more with stands on the 5000's.

Here is a pair of 1000's on ebay, price is 4650, and 1700 for shipping. :o
Over 100 people are watching.

YAMAHA NS-1000M speakers in Polished Oxblood Color refurbished by KENRICK SOUND

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252253098865?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT