Omega speakers to match with the Cain & Cain Abbys - ???

OakIris

I am upgrading my front speakers to the Cain & Cain Abby speakers - absolutely gorgeous to look at and I really liked the sound.  My problem is that I have to combine my 2-channel system with my HT system, due to space constraints in my very small house.  I need to find a center and rear speakers that will match with the Abbys which, I believe, are probably optimized for 2-channel music.  I will be using Rotel solid state equipment with the system and have a Rocket UFW-10 subwoofer.

I have received several recommendations for the Omega speakers with folks saying they may have good synergy with the Abbys.  I am hopeful that this is true as both use the Fostex drivers.  Of course, different implemenations can have completely different sound signatures....

Are there any Omega monitors that would work well with the Abbys as rear and center speakers?  I realize it is best to let my own ears make the decision, but unfortunately, I don't have any way of listening to the two together before buying.

Please let me know.

Holly

marklivia

« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2005, 09:22 pm »
I would say one of Louis's speakers with the same Fostex driver as your Abbeys.

OakIris

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2005, 10:22 pm »
So Louis will custom-make speakers?  I guess I need to go to his site to find out if he already makes speakers with "my" driver.  :)

I have sent an email to them to find out if this is a possibility.

Holly

OakIris

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2005, 11:41 pm »
I have yet to receive a response from Omega, but, never mind!  

Terry Cain will be making both a center speaker and  some Mini-Abbys which I can use for rear speakers.  I have decided that it it best to keep it all in the family, and will patiently await the production of these speakers.

Holy

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2005, 10:19 am »
Take care,

Fostex drivers prefer tube amplification.

My 8 year old Rotel is a rock steady plow horse compared to the really fine sounding amps I'd look to match Omegas or C&C speakers to.  Look into C I Audio monoblocks, the soon to be released AV123 digital stuff (see circle above), Sonic Impact based amps, or the 3 channel Teac AL700P (see Red Wine Audio circle below).

BTW Louis doesn't spend much time on the internet, but he's great to work with.  Can probably get you close to what you want for half of what Terry will charge.

OakIris

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2005, 03:03 pm »
JLM I imagine that tube amps would indeed be better with these Cain & Cain speakers (and the Omegas,) but I can't afford to buy a tube amplifier right now.  Since Terry uses Rotel equipment to test his speakers, I think Rotel will work out fine for me until I can get some tube equipment.  I will certainly check into the amps that you recommended.

Louis responded to my email and made some good suggestions for Omega speakers that would blend well with the Abbys.  I just think that a matched set of Cain & Cain speakers would be phenomenal, both in looks and in synergy.  And the cost of buying all 5 speakers will still leave me at a figure below my original $5000 budget, so that is also a plus!   :)

Holly

Bwanagreg

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2005, 03:52 pm »
I would just add that the better digital amps sound great with single driver speakers, and they cost far less than tubes. I actually prefer their sound to tubes. When you are ready, consider the battery-powered offererings on this forum - you can use the Rotels preamp outputs to drive them. Start with the front LR pair and see what you think.

Enjoy your new system  :)

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2005, 06:34 pm »
Hi OakIris,

Welcome and many thanks for considering Omega speakers as part of your HT system. It was great speaking with you via e-mail and happy to hear Terry has worked everything out with you. The best scenario is to have the same drivers all the way around.

Greg and JLM are right about the new digital amps available now. Red Wine Audio Clari t and Teacs are the best I've heard and hearing great things about the Panasonic HT receiver as well.

Hi JLM,

I'm grateful for the internet and it has opened up Audio far more than any other medium. I try my best and reply to e-mail 95% of the time everyday. I will do better for sure.

Thanks again,
Louis