Soundfield Audio Monitor 1... Here We Go!

JDUBS

Re: Soundfield Audio Monitor 1... Here We Go!
« Reply #60 on: 31 Aug 2011, 10:06 pm »
Lastly, I secretly (or not so secretly now that I'm mentioning it) hope the early adopters of this speaker don't feel the need to mention it in every post like some of the owners of another popular waveguide speaker (er...Geddes).  It's one thing to like your speakers but some of those guys are cult-like and creapy. :thumb:

Ha!!   :lol:

-Jim

Cacophonix

« Reply #61 on: 31 Aug 2011, 10:18 pm »
Lastly, I secretly (or not so secretly now that I'm mentioning it) hope the early adopters of this speaker don't feel the need to mention it in every post like some of the owners of another popular waveguide speaker (er...Geddes).  It's one thing to like your speakers but some of those guys are cult-like and creapy. :thumb:

And i hope AJ doesn't feel the need to double/triple the price just to curb demand  :lol: ;)

neekomax

« Reply #62 on: 31 Aug 2011, 11:36 pm »
Well, the eagles have landed.

They're up on stands now and playing beautiful music!

Got 'em set up and called AJ to go over a few setup details. He was a little surprised to hear me describe my current setup... the speakers are only about 5.5 feet apart, 2' feet from the back wall, and I'm sitting only about 6 feet back. So I guess I'm listening in what you might call a nearfield setup. He didn't seem to think that the speakers are far apart enough, but right now, that's what I got. And you know what it is I got?

A big, groovin' smile  :D

Setup, shmetup. These things sound good. Already waaaaaay better than what I had before in the same spot with the same electronics. I know that doesn't mean much to those who want detailed listening notes, but to me.... it means a lot   :).

It's the kind of smooth, natural sound that makes me want to turn it up. I had the opposite 'on edge' feeling when my old speakers were playing.

I actually pulled the bass amps gains down a bit, from 12:00 (AJ's default) to about 11:00. I will do an RTS measurement to check this, but right now, I've got smooth, full, melodious bass for days.   

As you might imagine, I'm not trying to write a full review in the first hour, but rather just follow up and let y'all know that it sounds pretty promising.

(And rock the f*ck on, Fed Ex! You came through on this one.  :wink:)

neekomax

« Reply #63 on: 31 Aug 2011, 11:48 pm »
Listening to some rock...

Acoustic guitars on 'Stranger Things Have Happened' by Foo Fighters are very good. Full and rich, just the right shimmer.

I think we're onto something...

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #64 on: 1 Sep 2011, 12:18 am »
AJ was definitely right to mention that Infinity, DefTech, and likely others made prior speakers with active bass/passive mid and/or treble.....bbbbb-bbbuttt......

I don't think anyone ever did it quite like this: a just-right size stand-mount 3-way with concentric mid/treble, with the active/passive split at 200 Hz.  It's just too good! 

IIRC all prior smallish active/passive speakers are measly 2-ways with the split way up at the normal 2-way pole between 1.8kHz and 2.5kHz.  In such case a huge chunk of the mid-range is reproduced by the on-board active amp rather than owner's own sweet little amp as is the case with AJ's apparent masterpiece.

They look good.  Probably deserving of stand quality you'd find with $3k+/pair monitors. What is each speaker weight?  Considering the 300W powered 8" they might benefit from clamping or at least good spikes.   

Rclark

« Reply #65 on: 1 Sep 2011, 12:23 am »
Jeeze guys, I meant it as a compliment.  Not trying to get this guy to raise his prices or to imply that $1,000 is a small amount of money (it's a lot of money for me and most people I know!).  I was merely pointing out this is a clever design at a very impressive price-point.  Don't know how they sound and I don't know if I would even like them, but they appear to be a very good value. 

The designer seems like a good guy and I sincerely wish him luck in his venture.  Hopefully, the exposure on AC will help launch a very  successful business! 

:green:

Rclark

« Reply #66 on: 1 Sep 2011, 12:25 am »
Listening to some rock...

Acoustic guitars on 'Stranger Things Have Happened' by Foo Fighters are very good. Full and rich, just the right shimmer.

I think we're onto something...

Oh damn! More impressions please!!

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #67 on: 1 Sep 2011, 12:28 am »
Setup, shmetup. These things sound good. Already waaaaaay better than what I had before in the same spot with the same electronics. I know that doesn't mean much to those who want detailed listening notes, but to me.... it means a lot   :).

Actually, Neeko, I figure that pretty much says it all.

Congrats and enjoy the hell out of 'em!

D.D.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #68 on: 1 Sep 2011, 12:35 am »
What is each speaker weight?

Jim, they are around 35lbs.

And to the earlier posts about parts cost, most all that was mentioned is accurate. Yes the price is essentially break even, not counting the labor and time, etc.
I have a day job. I really enjoy it ( possibly a rarity). I live comfortably.
This is my weekend gig. No plans to become a full time manufacturer, where this pay the bills and i must depend on it.
I feel very strongly that people who love music should not have to spend stratospheric amounts to get this level of sound...hopefully where you forget price....and get lost in the music. Not wonder "what if you're seriously missing out", because you didn't spend a fortune. The "high end" has, IMO plenty super high priced products. Not as many high value products.
As noted, at some point I'll have to go to the $1300 price (to avoid actually having to rob a bank :lol:), but not for right now.

Neeko, enjoy :wink:

cheers,

AJ

Rclark

« Reply #69 on: 1 Sep 2011, 12:48 am »
Aj can you describe the drivers used, and how you came about choosing them? Also the crossover and enclosure construction?

I understand you have a modified Elemental Design's 8".

neekomax

« Reply #70 on: 1 Sep 2011, 01:05 am »
Yeah, I'm already thinking that I'll need to improve the stands situation. My $70 Sanus joints are a bit rinky dink for these mama jamas. The speakers are solid, man. Physically, I mean.
But that's another thread, another time.

What is here and now is that the pretty white SAM1's are really showing good versatility. Bill Frissell, Porcupine Tree, Jamie Cullum, Foo Fighters, Beck, Joni Mitchell, Birelli Lagrene, all sound right on these speakers. My evening listening is a bit constraned to not-too-bass heavy music, but I'm gonna work those angles tomorrow  :icon_twisted:

Warmth and smoothness. That's what I'm so surprised and delighted by right now. Everyone was saying 'dynamic' and kick ass, so I was expecting that... but the sheer niceness of the sound has me really floored. It just makes me want to hear more.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #71 on: 1 Sep 2011, 01:25 am »
Concentric speakers, if done well, are very hard to beat in the "coherent" and the "just sound right" categories.

AJ, any chance of these making an appearance at RMAF?  Maybe on loan to a tube amp vendor :D

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #72 on: 1 Sep 2011, 03:24 am »
Probably deserving of stand quality you'd find with $3k+/pair monitors. What is each speaker weight?  Considering the 300W powered 8" they might benefit from clamping or at least good spikes.   

Yeah, I'm already thinking that I'll need to improve the stands situation. My $70 Sanus joints are a bit rinky dink for these mama jamas.

Ha!  If you'll look closely at my pics from the Capitol Audiofest report, you'll see AJ has them on the flimsiest of Lovan Prelude stands, $29.95 on eBay right now, free shipping.  I have a pair for lightweight speakers and they're really quite nice for that, but I was amazed that AJ was using them for fairly large monitors, albeit the plate amps were on the floor in his prototype.  Didn't seem to hurt the sound in the hotel room.

Warmth and smoothness. That's what I'm so surprised and delighted by right now. Everyone was saying 'dynamic' and kick ass, so I was expecting that... but the sheer niceness of the sound has me really floored. It just makes me want to hear more.

I'm sure it got lost in translation with the several threads that I've posted about these speakers in, but somewhere I noted they sounded great with a wide variety of musical samples.  AJ had some kick ass jazz, some soft and delicate instrumentals, and a guy there had some warhorse classical pieces to play.  All sounded superb.  However the level of dynamics available from such a relatively small package is the overriding characteristic.

neekomax

« Reply #73 on: 1 Sep 2011, 05:12 am »
Ha!  If you'll look closely at my pics from the Capitol Audiofest report, you'll see AJ has them on the flimsiest of Lovan Prelude stands, $29.95 on eBay right now, free shipping.  I have a pair for lightweight speakers and they're really quite nice for that, but I was amazed that AJ was using them for fairly large monitors, albeit the plate amps were on the floor in his prototype.  Didn't seem to hurt the sound in the hotel room.

I'm not super worried about the stands affecting sound quality, but just that they be solid enough to be stable and properly anchor the SAM1s. There are some gorgeous ones for sale for $500 on the internets that are inspiring me (and in maple, just like my cabinets)...

I'm sure it got lost in translation with the several threads that I've posted about these speakers in, but somewhere I noted they sounded great with a wide variety of musical samples.  AJ had some kick ass jazz, some soft and delicate instrumentals, and a guy there had some warhorse classical pieces to play.  All sounded superb.  However the level of dynamics available from such a relatively small package is the overriding characteristic.

Tonight has been mostly acoustic, nuanced stuff due to the hour and neighbors. I'll be testing the dynamics tomorrow when I can crank them up a bit and see how they do.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #74 on: 1 Sep 2011, 12:57 pm »
There are some gorgeous ones for sale for $500
:o
If you spend $500 on stands, I'm going to send you a bill for $300 for the non-introductory price. :lol:
You did your equipment stand, DIY 'em yourself for a fraction of that, or get a more sanely priced one from an AC vendor. Heck Audio Advisor/PE have nice stands that you could use, just add some matching maple slats yourself.

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #75 on: 1 Sep 2011, 01:15 pm »
Aj can you describe the drivers used, and how you came about choosing them? Also the crossover and enclosure construction?

I understand you have a modified Elemental Design's 8".
Hi RC,

The main driver is the latest generation KEF Uni-Q. They're developing those things to near perfection. No more on axis holes/diffraction ripple with the advanced surround and phase shield. The measurements speak for themselves. I've always striven for uniform polar response, a coincident driver meets that demand better than any other. There is a large body of evidence supporting the fact that a speaker with a spectral mirror of it's on axis being output into the reverberant field, will not only sound better than one without, but will sound better in a wider variety of rooms/placements.
And not need the so called treatments, which I eschew. But understand, for those whose polar response is a real mess in need...of treatment. :wink:
Enclosure is a modified PE 0.7 cu MT cab, which comes standard in 3/4" MDF, with bracing and 1" baffle. It's solid enough to be audibly benign. You'll hurt your knuckles rapping the sides. XO is like the Colonels recipe. :wink:
Yes, the sub is an ED, ideal for small sealed cabs. 14mm xmax 1-way (28mm p-p).

regards,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #76 on: 1 Sep 2011, 01:19 pm »
AJ, any chance of these making an appearance at RMAF?  Maybe on loan to a tube amp vendor :D

It's a little late in the game for that, wasn't planning on it.....but I'm open to suggestions. I wouldn't think any tube vendor there wouldn't already have their speaker chosen.....

cheers,

AJ

jackman

« Reply #77 on: 1 Sep 2011, 01:29 pm »
Nice cabinets and drivers!

neekomax

« Reply #78 on: 1 Sep 2011, 01:51 pm »
:o
If you spend $500 on stands, I'm going to send you a bill for $300 for the non-introductory price. :lol:
You did your equipment stand, DIY 'em yourself for a fraction of that, or get a more sanely priced one from an AC vendor. Heck Audio Advisor/PE have nice stands that you could use, just add some matching maple slats yourself.

cheers,

AJ

:lol: :lol: Hahaha, yeah, merely coveting those badass stands.

I might try to DIY some stands, but I don't really have a design in mind yet. Or I might fill the ones I have with sand and paint them white to match the SAMs. 20" is the right height, and a google search returns nothing but crap. It's either cheapies like I have, or $500 beauties, for some reason. It's a weird gap in the retail world, nice stands for <$200.

Which AC vendors do you speak of? Not aware of anyone selling nice stands?

jackman

« Reply #79 on: 1 Sep 2011, 03:00 pm »
Check parts express, audiogon or audio advisor.  You would be better suited saving your money for a better amp or front end. Five bills is too much for stands IMO.