Cheap and Cheerful (Outdoor) Sound Masking

tsusko

• I know it sounds funny but...
Cheap and Cheerful (Outdoor) Sound Masking
« on: 19 Sep 2020, 07:20 am »
Ok. So I’ve been spending a lot of time around the house lately.  In an effort to create a cheap and cheerful home atmosphere I came up with an idea for a project.

I am in the process of building and installing DML Panel speakers on my perimeter fence and using them for sound masking.

I currently have a set installed on my side yard and have experimented with sounds such as swamp noises (for the evening), birds singing (in the morning), water fountains (during the day) all of these sound fantastic through theses speakers.  Other than the fact that where I live is pretty urban, its really difficult to distinguish that the sounds are coming from speakers. 

I have posed some questions on other posts but thought I would re-ask them here for the sake of context.

1. I would like to be able to control the zones (e.g. Back Yard, Side Yard etc) separately or group them via a wireless media player.
2. I would like to be able to loop the music or play different sounds at different times of the day.

Any ideas for this type of setup would be greatly appreciated.

Doublej

Re: Cheap and Cheerful (Outdoor) Sound Masking
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2020, 12:01 pm »
Check out Amazon's Echo series of products. With the Alexa 'controller' you can create routines to perform a specific series of actions at scheduled times. You can also create groups of speakers. Wireless functionality is limited to Bluetooth or Alexa enabled third party speakers.

Apple's AirPlay 2 and Google may offer similar functionality. There is also Muzo Cobblestone which I know very little about.

tsusko

• I know it sounds funny but...
Re: Cheap and Cheerful (Outdoor) Sound Masking
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2020, 07:04 pm »
Doublej, Thanks for the feedback!  I didn't realize there was an Alexa app for the PC.  I downloaded and installed it... pretty cool.

Here are a list of features that I am aiming to implement.

• Pre-selected playlist: Ability to preselect playlists and loop them.
    • Do not believe this is possible with a music service.
    • Can a Play-Fi Gateway do this using a NAS or thumb drive?
  • Playlist Scheduling: Ability to play specific playlists at different times of day.
    • I believe I could do this from a dedicated computer... is that the only option?
  • Remote volume control: Ideally via a media player app on Phone/Tablet.
    • I currently have a Sono's system but my speakers are indoor. However the ability to control groups and volume is great!
  • Zones & Grouping: Side yard, back yard etc.
    • Obviously this makes things more expensive
    • Separate Gateway, Amp, Speaker wiring
  • Exterior Speakers:
    • Ability to place at property line
    • So far I like the price and performance of the DML Panel speakers.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Here is a picture of one of my DML Panel speakers installed.