$10 Stromberg Carlson ASR-120 & Free Merlin 3B+ Speakers

knotscott

• Sterling Acoustic speakers, Dyna/VTA ST70 bi-amped
I picked up an old Stromberg Carlson ASR-120 tube amp for $10 that someone had stripped out of an old hifi record player.  They weren't sure if it worked, but they didn't want to toss it....my lucky day!  I plugged it in and it powered up.  So I went about adding $10 worth of parts - 450v poly caps in the audio stage, RCA input jacks, new speaker jacks, and cleaned it up some.  It's actually a pretty nice sounding 10-12 watt 6V6 push-pull amp. Grand total - $20!  Right now it's hooked up to an old pair of Merlin 3B+ speakers that I just rehabbed too. 

Before:

After:

The Merlins were another cheap and cheerful post on their own.  I was given these for free because the foam covering had all disintegrated and his wife was tired of looking at them.  These were $950 pair back in 1988, and were definitely nice speakers.  I rehabbed them with about $30 worth of air condition filter foam, and re-oiled the oak.  They sound impressive.  I'd like to think designer Bobby P would still be proud of them. 8)

Before:

During:

After:

Toss in a used $25 OSD Audio Preamp 1, and I have myself an amazing sub-$100 system for the basement.  8)

« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2020, 10:33 pm by knotscott »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: $10 Stromberg Carlson ASR-120 & Free Merlin 3B+ Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2020, 11:28 pm »
That is just absolutely fabulous.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2020, 01:06 am »
The engine turning finish is just a step or two above  :thumb:

That's worth displaying no matter what.

Alan

knotscott

• Sterling Acoustic speakers, Dyna/VTA ST70 bi-amped
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2020, 11:13 am »
Thanks guys.  The original plan with the amp was to add a nice hardwood frame around the base.  I may still followup with that at some point. 

johnto

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2020, 01:31 pm »
Wow the amp and speakers look amazing fantastic work.

hifiamps

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2020, 07:04 pm »
That's just incredible work. Love to bring those 6V6 amps back to life. Such nice sounding tubes. And a stereo amp too. What a find!

Like the idea of the air conditioner filter foam. Always like Home Depot as a source of audio equipment. Also, a very nice job on the top panel refinish. Looks like an oil finish.