Klipsch Gate Streaming Device

witchdoctor

Re: Klipsch Gate Streaming Device
« Reply #20 on: 23 Feb 2019, 08:06 pm »
As I typed that out, I don’t think I even need another Gate....I think I can just connect my current one to the powered speakers I get for the garage/workshop....

If you are looking at powered speakers Klipsch makes several which I'll bet make a great pair with the Gate. I am using a single Paradigm Shift A2 active speaker with a Gate in my kitchen:

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-2017-R-14PM-Powered-Monitor/dp/B075JRF295/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1550952253&sr=8-3&keywords=klipsch+powered+speaker

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-15PM-Powered-Monitor-Black/dp/B01A7J534G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1550952253&sr=8-4&keywords=klipsch+powered+speaker

witchdoctor

« Reply #21 on: 23 Feb 2019, 08:08 pm »
Hi witchdoctor, thank you for the suggestion. I got my gate today for my office . It replaces my iPhone 5se connected to ifs nano DAC (BL) and then into the integrated amp. In addition I switched from Tidal to Quboz and all works flawlessly. ....for $30.  :D.

That's awesome,how does the Gate setup compare to the nano DAC/iPhone?
Remember to select the "critical listening" mode to stream hirez.

witchdoctor

« Reply #22 on: 23 Feb 2019, 08:32 pm »
As I typed that out, I don’t think I even need another Gate....I think I can just connect my current one to the powered speakers I get for the garage/workshop....

One more thing, I bought active speakers that are also in the Play-Fi ecosytsem. They will show up in the app in addition to your Gate so you can stream as part of the same network. The Definitive Technology W7 has been marked down from $399 to $99. I have a pair in my dining room. The Polk S6 has been marked down from $359 to $99. I have a single in the bedroom and just bought another one to pair it with.

They all work seemlessly with the same app you use for the Gate. If you get either of them you will NOT need another Gate. They will play all by themselves. Everything you can stream in the Gate you can stream in those speakers.
If you have a big garage you should probaly get the Polks. The DefTech's do best with corner placement.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=162447.0

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=162077.0

Brettio

« Reply #23 on: 23 Feb 2019, 08:59 pm »
I’ll look into all those speakers.  Thank you again, this is like an audio awakening!  All started by you and a $35.00 streamer! 
Brett

chrshanl

« Reply #24 on: 23 Feb 2019, 09:28 pm »
After spending a few more days listening to the Gate I can say I am still very impressed with it. Previously I have owned a Sonos, Bluesound Node 2 & 2i, an Ipad with several dacs from Hegel, Peachtree Nova 150, Exemplar, Centrance, Jolida, Halide, Grant Fidelity and probably a few others i’m forgetting.

Until I decide to fork over some serious money for a Lumin or an Innuos, the Gate will suit me just fine. This thing is a steal.

Ben1248

« Reply #25 on: 23 Feb 2019, 10:18 pm »
That's awesome,how does the Gate setup compare to the nano DAC/iPhone?
Remember to select the "critical listening" mode to stream hirez.

I will wait a week and then do a comparison. With the  iPhone Se, I use the Onkyo app, which enables to play hirez via the ifi (BL) nano.......and then I may put it into my main system to compare it to my aries (femto) / 2qute Dac combo. 

witchdoctor

« Reply #26 on: 23 Feb 2019, 10:19 pm »
When I first bought the Gate it was a convenience purchase to be able to stream music from my HT to my kitchen.
I noticed when I first listened to it I kept wanting to try more and more music. Streaming, CD's, hirez streaming, hi rez CD's and everything else just sounds very satisfying. I was thinking of checking out other streamers within the play-fi ecosystem but unless I find the Mcintosh MB50 for under $500 ($2000 MSRP, LOL) I am just going to enjoy.
The new firmware makes concert video streaming as easy as music. I have other more expensive DAC's and streamers but in head to head comparisons it seems they compress the music more where the Gate just presents everything in a more LIVE sounding fashion.

I have the Powergate coming next week and will post a review after I give it a listen.

witchdoctor

« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2019, 10:22 pm »
I will wait a week and then do a comparison. With the  iPhone Se, I use the Onkyo app, which enables to play hirez via the ifi (BL) nano.......and then I may put it into my main system to compare it to my aries (femto) / 2qute Dac combo.

Great, thanks for the info. The Gate has a line in too if you want to connect a CDP or another source.

apstoltz

« Reply #28 on: 23 Feb 2019, 11:05 pm »
Do you connect thru a klipsch app or dts playfi  app?

witchdoctor

« Reply #29 on: 23 Feb 2019, 11:47 pm »
Do you connect thru a klipsch app or dts playfi  app?

To stream I've used both apps, they are identical except for the logo's.

There is a separate app to update the Gate firmware called the Klipsch Utility app. The DTS app won't work for that.

apstoltz

« Reply #30 on: 24 Feb 2019, 12:16 am »
After spending a few more days listening to the Gate I can say I am still very impressed with it. Previously I have owned a Sonos, Bluesound Node 2 & 2i, an Ipad with several dacs from Hegel, Peachtree Nova 150, Exemplar, Centrance, Jolida, Halide, Grant Fidelity and probably a few others i’m forgetting.

Until I decide to fork over some serious money for a Lumin or an Innuos, the Gate will suit me just fine. This thing is a steal.

Based on your history, the gate sounds promising.

witchdoctor

« Reply #31 on: 26 Feb 2019, 12:24 am »
So got the Powergate today, initial impressions is it sounds a lot like the Gate but has more gusto, kind of like a solid state/tube hybrid than a class D amp so far.
I'll post more after a few days of letting it burn in.

Also got the Mogami Gold IC for the Gate, we'll see if it changes anything in terms of SQ.

witchdoctor

« Reply #32 on: 26 Feb 2019, 01:59 pm »
Initial impression of the Mogami 3.5 mm to RCA interconnect is bass sounds clearer and has more control. Will need to let it break in a bit before posting a review. The build quality is outstanding, it makes the previous cable seem like an ear bud cable from an ipod in build quality comparison. The cable at $49 costs more than the Gate, first time I had that happen. In audio terms though a $49 investment is relatively small if it improves SQ.

witchdoctor

« Reply #34 on: 27 Feb 2019, 02:58 pm »

mcgsxr

« Reply #35 on: 27 Feb 2019, 04:27 pm »
Prices are all over the place it seems.

The affordable Gate in the US is around $150 plus shipping in Canada.  Might still be a useful tool for some even at that price.

witchdoctor

« Reply #36 on: 27 Feb 2019, 04:52 pm »
Prices are all over the place it seems.

The affordable Gate in the US is around $150 plus shipping in Canada.  Might still be a useful tool for some even at that price.

I see the Gate at $100 CDN:

https://www.amazon.ca/Klipsch-1063275-Gateway-Wireless-Multi-Room/dp/B01M5B793S/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=klipsch+gate&qid=1551286199&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

The Gate in my system sounds better than the $499 Bluesound Node FWIW. I think it is worth at least what they charge for the Node. I also like the Play-Fi OS better than Bluos.

OzarkTom

« Reply #37 on: 27 Feb 2019, 10:20 pm »
If you want to use your own present IC's, Monoprice sells this gold plated adapter for 59 cents and $3 for shipping.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7189

david45

« Reply #38 on: 28 Feb 2019, 03:13 am »
Another potentially cheap and cheerful option:

https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/b01.html

gwing

« Reply #39 on: 1 Mar 2019, 09:13 pm »
I stumbled across the fact that the Gate can support a usb to ethernet adapter.  I had an old Dlink adapter plugged it in and applied power to the Gate.  Lights started flashing and behold a hardwired connection (confirmed via router).  A little investigating also turned up the fact that Phorus is selling a DTS Play-Fi adapter themselves.

https://www.amazon.com/DTS-Play-Fi-USB-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B07CNBWKM9/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_5?keywords=phorus+usb+ethernet&qid=1551474349&s=gateway&sr=8-5-fkmrnull

I already have ethernet outlets in most places so this is great for me, plus it lets me re-use otherwise obsolete hardware.