Super 3S

Jazzaudio

Super 3S
« on: 2 Sep 2013, 02:04 am »
I've had my Super 3S speakers (EKO Olivewood, with requested Cardas CCGR binding posts) for just over 6 weeks now. I told Louis I'd spend some time with them before posting.  Let me start with pictures  of the underreported first rate packing :)

Jazzaudio

Re: Super 3S
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2013, 02:17 am »
Set-up in my room....

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2013, 03:24 am »
Your speakers are gorgeous!  Someday, I would like to try a pair of Louis's speakers.  I love the look of the 3 spiked feet and have always wondered if the speakers are stable?  Do they have any tendency to lean or rock?  Just curious because there is a lot of action in my house and I know at some point they would get bumped.  Thanks,  Tom

Jazzaudio

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2013, 05:05 am »

A few more photos (sorry for the rotated grill shot!).  I'll do a short review in a day or so. In the mean time, place your order with Louis! :)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2013, 09:48 am »
Great pics, thanks for showing the packing too.  That finish really looks good (was considering cherry for an extra cost, but now???).

Your speakers are gorgeous!  Someday, I would like to try a pair of Louis's speakers.  I love the look of the 3 spiked feet and have always wondered if the speakers are stable?  Do they have any tendency to lean or rock?  Just curious because there is a lot of action in my house and I know at some point they would get bumped.  Thanks,  Tom

3 support point design is inherently stable (cannot possible wobble).  If you have an active household I'm sure you can arrange to have Louis add a larger base or outriggers to broaden the support points to reduce the chance of tip over.  Perhaps Louis has other ideas too for 'hardening' the driver/cabinet with metal grill, armor plating, close proximity detection, laser perimeter defense system, land mines, or low yield nuclear warheads.   :green:

doggie

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2013, 07:46 pm »
I bought a used pair of Super 6 Alincos that have this same form factor. They are stunning to look at and sound wonderful. The packaging is amazing, sort of a foam coffin the really protects them. Everything that Louis does is first rate and he is great to deal with.

Regarding the tall speakers on three points. Mine are stable when in place and untouched but easily moved off from their cones when bumped. Not great for small children but fine for other situations.

BTW. If you can, buy them new from Louis as his excellent work is worthy of support!

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2013, 10:46 pm »
Do they have any tendency to lean or rock?
They may have a tendency to rock (unless you are playing jazz or classical)  :roll:

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2013, 06:15 pm »
I have the Super 3XRS (latest version) and they are very stable because Louis puts a filled sand chamber in the bottom.  They are one of the most stable towers I remember.  A couple of years ago he went from the original cone and two pads to thee very pointy spikes that really drive through carpet and underlay to anchor solidly to the substrate underneath.  He also includes the pads for non-carpeted flooring.

If one is concerned about the stability of the Super 3S, Louis has made a plinth for them in the past and no doubt will do it again if a customer orders them.

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2013, 11:16 pm »
Hi Jazzaudio,

Many thanks for your post and very kind words. Great pictures and set up of your system. The packaging held up very well even though they went clear across the country.

The last picture is great because it shows the grain that is part of the EKO. The Olivewood looks great.

It's actually easy to use the packaging as a beer cooler with all the Styrofoam.

Looking forward to hearing more about the sound.

Hi doggie,

Great to hear and really happy you're enjoying your Super 6 XRS's. They are packed in an oversized box. The 6's have the tilt back and you're right about bumping them. They are very stable otherwise. Many thanks for the support and posts. Great working with you too.

Hi JLM,

Thanks and the new EKO is really nice. The laminates have come a long way. The highend companies are making first rate products. I have some new ones that have the best texture I have ever seen. More on this soon.

The platforms do a great job with stability and 3 point is self leveling so it works great on any surface.

These have 4 points though.

Hi dB Cooper,

That is a great post.

Hi Canada Rob,

Thanks and the Super 3 XRS's have the sand chamber that really works. That cone update was long overdue. Adds  a lot more stability to them. I would be happy to build the platforms for the 3 XRS's.

Thanks,
Louis