ACI LX

DtH_AngL

ACI LX
« on: 3 Aug 2017, 06:05 pm »
I'm an original owner of a pair of ACI LX bookshelf speakers...I think I bought them, mail order, in 1990, when I was in high school. I was a fairly avid Stereophile reader then, and spent all my money on audio gear and tapes and CDs (which were just starting to become affordable...) I recently dug them out of storage in a closet to give them a listen.

I was reminded of how great they are...and of that time in my life. We spend a lot of time as audiophiles listening to the details of music - sound stage, depth, presence, etc. So much so that it can be easy to forget the experience of music...the connection to our emotions. Hearing sound come out of these speakers again after years made me remember that...

I got them in the textured black paint - couldn't afford veneer then. I plan to refinish them...maybe a nice veneer...and use them in my den/music room as my mains. They're that good...objectively AND emotionally.

I just have to scare up a good pair of stands...and maybe some ACI subs to go with them. No problem...right?

Mudslide

Re: ACI LX
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2017, 06:33 am »
I just saw this.  I guess I'm a little late to the dance.....nevertheless....

I totally agree.  The ACI LXs provide a very fine presentation and present a larger sound than the box suggests.  They still have a place of honor in one of my systems.

We did exactly what you are contemplating.  We had the textured black paint, which aged not well, and veneered them in a cabinet matching oak.