New to open baffle

DeeCee

Re: New to open baffle
« Reply #40 on: 1 Jan 2020, 01:42 am »
I received my delivery confirmation for my M3's for Friday.  :D  I am new to OB's and am very excited to hear what you all are talking about. I have had Vandersteens and Aerials and look forward to doing some comparisons. Thanks for all your great comments and Happy New Year!
As an Aerial owner I would very much like to hear your comparison in SQ between Spatial & Aerial (if not here, then please PM.)

Thanks!
- DeeCee

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #41 on: 1 Jan 2020, 02:00 am »
Snowpuppy
I asked Clayton to give me a lighter Sepele to match my teak audio rack. I’m really excited to see the look!

I think you will be very please with the way they look and even more please with the way they sound.  Your speakers will probably look a lot like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoHakZ7yhvs&t=347s

Clayton said this room was dark and that they were a little lighter than the videos and pics show.  By the way I found the track played in the video on Tidal.  Sounded great on my M3S.  Just like the guy said her voice hung magically in the air between the speakers and the bass imaged nicely as well.  Very good recording and the rather large M3S just disappeared.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #42 on: 1 Jan 2020, 02:12 am »
DeeCee
I had the 10ts and was very impressed with them much more than my Vandersteen’s.
I’ll definitely post pics and first impressions.
Snowpuppy
Thanks, I’m hoping they’ll compliment my new audio rack.

DeeCee

« Reply #43 on: 1 Jan 2020, 03:16 am »
DeeCee
I had the 10ts and was very impressed with them much more than my Vandersteen’s.
Snowpuppy
I own the original 7s (10Ts smaller brothers when they only had 3 speakers in their line) that are currently way too large for my current listening room but I could never give up on their sound... I'm fairly familiar with OB speakers and listened to a couple of Audio Artistry (Dvorak and Vivaldi) LONG ago - most impressive!

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #44 on: 1 Jan 2020, 03:34 am »
DeeCee
Snowpuppy
Thanks, I’m hoping they’ll compliment my new audio rack.

That looks like an excellent audio rack.  Looks to have good component isolation and vibration control.  Very attractive.  The quality of the equipment rack is an important component itself that is often neglected.

I heard a pair of Aerials about 20 years ago and was very impressed by them.  The founders of Aerial probably oversaw the production of my first pair of loudspeakers.  A pair of ADS L520 that I bought in the early 80s.  I still own these speakers and they still sound good.  My Dad had a pair of the much larger L1230s.  ADS were my favorite speakers back then.

DeeCee

« Reply #45 on: 1 Jan 2020, 03:52 am »
I heard a pair of Aerials about 20 years ago and was very impressed by them.  The founders of Aerial probably oversaw the production of my first pair of loudspeakers.  A pair of ADS L520 that I bought in the early 80s.  I still own these speakers and they still sound good.  My Dad had a pair of the much larger L1230s.  ADS were my favorite speakers back then.
Hmmm. Another odd coincidence: WAY back the ADS L1230s were my "dream" speakers (i.e., HS student who could no way afford them.)

I'm hoping that audiosaurusrex will hate the Spatials, so I won't be jealous...  :lol:

No way I can afford anything beyond vintage nowadays or inexpensive high bang per buck stuff. *sigh*

JackD

« Reply #46 on: 1 Jan 2020, 05:26 am »
Is that rack a Timbernation product.  I have one and love it though heavy as hell with the 2 and 3 inch maple shelves.

DeeCee

« Reply #47 on: 1 Jan 2020, 12:55 pm »
Is that rack a Timbernation product.  I have one and love it though heavy as hell with the 2 and 3 inch maple shelves.
I was wondering the same thing. If I ever get a new rack, Timbernation would definitely be what I get!

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #48 on: 1 Jan 2020, 01:26 pm »
Yes DeeCee and Jack
Timbernation, Chris did a great job and I am really impressed with the quality.

harley.guy07

« Reply #49 on: 2 Jan 2020, 12:26 am »
Just my two cents. I have owned and or heard many speakers of all types over the years as I used to work as a high end audio dealer in the 90's and have always been around audio. To me and some of the people that have good ears for sound, I really think it is the years of hearing box speakers and live rock concerts that have slow, overly bloated, one note style bass that people get so used to it that when they hear a real live setting or speakers like the Spatials they think they have no bass. In reality the bass is very fast on these speakers, in fact much quicker without hanging sound than other speakers. That allows the bass to better integrate with the mids and highs like a real live setting that is set up right should be. Anyone that has heard a live performance that is not overly processed or amplified and boosted will know that I am talking about. Most people that have only heard reproducted music on cheap systems or cheap headphones their whole lives kind of freak out when they here a real bass drum on a drum set for the first time because the bass is fast and actually has a tone to it. It is not a boom or thump that is like a lot of speakers and mastering portray it to be. I have played in bands and played instruments most of my life and to me the Spatials reproduce bass drum and bass guitar better than any other speaker even close to their price class. Some people that listen to electronic music might have issues with these speakers because the music they listen to itself has non instrumental electronically produced bass that is not instrumentally natural anyway but that is a whole other topic

jazzman463

« Reply #50 on: 2 Jan 2020, 12:57 pm »
Yes, and they also do Bass trombone, Bass Clarinet, Tuba,Low Piano, and Contrabass Sax better than anything I have ever herd.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #51 on: 2 Jan 2020, 04:19 pm »
Ditto on the bass response on OB speakers. While my X3s don't have the output or depth of my old X-frames, they sure do seem to have more texture and definition. I'm very happy with the bottom end on these things.

Shakey

timing3435

« Reply #52 on: 2 Jan 2020, 06:27 pm »
Just my two cents. I have owned and or heard many speakers of all types over the years as I used to work as a high end audio dealer in the 90's and have always been around audio. To me and some of the people that have good ears for sound, I really think it is the years of hearing box speakers and live rock concerts that have slow, overly bloated, one note style bass that people get so used to it that when they hear a real live setting or speakers like the Spatials they think they have no bass. In reality the bass is very fast on these speakers, in fact much quicker without hanging sound than other speakers. That allows the bass to better integrate with the mids and highs like a real live setting that is set up right should be. Anyone that has heard a live performance that is not overly processed or amplified and boosted will know that I am talking about. Most people that have only heard reproducted music on cheap systems or cheap headphones their whole lives kind of freak out when they here a real bass drum on a drum set for the first time because the bass is fast and actually has a tone to it. It is not a boom or thump that is like a lot of speakers and mastering portray it to be. I have played in bands and played instruments most of my life and to me the Spatials reproduce bass drum and bass guitar better than any other speaker even close to their price class. Some people that listen to electronic music might have issues with these speakers because the music they listen to itself has non instrumental electronically produced bass that is not instrumentally natural anyway but that is a whole other topic

Yes to" that allows the bass to better integrate with the mids and highs like a real live setting that is set up right should be"  I am convinced that you have to rethink what music really sounds like after listening to these speakers vs what you thought was great sound with box speakers. Tidal has a playlist that is called Ultimate System Testers made by Bowers & Wilkins for speaker testing. It has a diversity of music that will put any speaker to the test, pure bass examples to the complex sound stage. I have listened to this on multiple sets of speakers now and the M3's shine because the bass is so integrated into the music and this gives me what I want from the music.

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/abe0bf4b-2f61-4601-be0a-c24fa8e6c521

pompon

« Reply #53 on: 6 Jan 2020, 01:08 pm »
I really think it is the years of hearing box speakers and live rock concerts that have slow, overly bloated, ...In reality the bass is very fast on these speakers, in fact much quicker without hanging sound than other speakers. That allows the bass to better integrate with the mids and highs like a real live setting that is set up right should be.

You spot on.