Really good Lone Star Audio fest show coverage....

Danny Richie

Nicely done by Eric Franklin Shook at Part Time Audiophile. https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/06/04/gr-research-dodd-audio-lone-star-audio-fest-2019/

Really good pictures too.

You guys go check it out.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Really good Lone Star Audio fest show coverage....
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2019, 12:35 am »
Read it earlier.

Glad to see that Gary's setup with the DAC is still making music.

Danny Richie

monte

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2019, 12:40 am »
That’s cool how Gary’s equipment lives on. Man, I bet those speakers Rocked

RonP

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2019, 01:26 am »
Hey I'm Famous now!  :lol:

Sittin' there w/Mike!  :thumb:

Nice write-ups.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2019, 03:42 am »
Hey I'm Famous now!  :lol:

Sittin' there w/Mike!  :thumb:

Nice write-ups.

At this time the Oticas were not playing. The X-LS Encores were. All the LS Encores I've heard have been very good speakers but these are at another level. Anybody that thinks parts quality in the crossover doesn't make a difference needs to listen to these beauties. Clean, clear, detailed, and very musical. They way more than held their own. They outperformed speakers selling for more than 6 times what these cost me to build. That was not just my opinion either.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2019, 02:05 pm »
At this time the Oticas were not playing. The X-LS Encores were. All the LS Encores I've heard have been very good speakers but these are at another level. Anybody that thinks parts quality in the crossover doesn't make a difference needs to listen to these beauties. Clean, clear, detailed, and very musical. They way more than held their own. They outperformed speakers selling for more than 6 times what these cost me to build. That was not just my opinion either.

Mike

No question about it, that decked out pair was exceptional. And hearing them beat up on some very pricey speakers in some after hours listening was quite eye opening (or ear opening) for some. And it was a lot of fun. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2019, 04:21 pm »
Congrats on the reviews  guys   :thumb:

jay

Kurtamus

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2019, 07:54 am »

Mike

Mike, are these the Sonicap/Mills upgrades in the crossovers you are talking about, or were these crossovers upgraded farther than what is offered on the GR Research site?

I appreciate the answer, I am currently not working and selling a camera lens to finance the Kit from GR Research.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2019, 01:25 pm »
Mike, are these the Sonicap/Mills upgrades in the crossovers you are talking about, or were these crossovers upgraded farther than what is offered on the GR Research site?

I appreciate the answer, I am currently not working and selling a camera lens to finance the Kit from GR Research.

These have Sonicaps, Mills resistors, Alpha air core foil inductors, Sonicap Platinum by-pass caps in the tweeter circuits, Miflex KPCU by-pass caps in the woofer circuits, tube connectors, and are lined with No-Res. The Platinum by-pass caps are no longer available so I am currently using the Miflex KPCU caps in both woofer and tweeter circuits.

Mike

tubav

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2019, 06:08 pm »
Rough guesstimate of how much invested in crossover by itself? Thanks.

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2019, 07:16 pm »
Rough guesstimate of how much invested in crossover by itself? Thanks.
Including the kit  and the  parts   Mike's listed,  you're going to be inthe  $600 to $700 range ( estimated)..  We've built out a  few pairs in very similar fashion - the  foil inductors....  they are    pretty amazing  litle monitors, actually  use  a pair inthe shop  :thumb: .  Next  pair we do will  have the foils  and  also  will use some  Neotech UPOCC solid core  16 w/teflon jacket as  we  did  in the  super 7's.

jay