Crossover assembly 101

bonsiguy

Re: Crossover assembly 101
« Reply #220 on: 18 Jun 2020, 07:33 pm »
love this thread danny thank you !!!!!!   i have been rebuilding a few sets of maggies  like the mg 1 mg 2b and a set of smga  and was wondering if the inductors go bad in them i have changed the caps and that made a huge difference  should i re do the inductors ? and would welcome any tips and hints to get them to sound better . again thanks

Eldergod

« Reply #221 on: 20 Jun 2020, 10:35 pm »
Sooooo.... do I have to remove the red coating from the air core inductors before connecting and soldering?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #222 on: 20 Jun 2020, 10:58 pm »
If they don't already have bare ends then yes. You can scrape with a knife or use sandpaper.

Eldergod

« Reply #223 on: 21 Jun 2020, 12:06 pm »

Thanks. Almost occurred to me too late.  One other question: Can ground/negative for both tweeter and woofer be basically the same line/wire/connection?  Seems like it shouldn’t matter and make the connections simpler.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2020, 06:41 pm by Eldergod »

Captainhemo

« Reply #224 on: 22 Jun 2020, 05:09 pm »
One other question: Can ground/negative for both tweeter and woofer be basically the same line/wire/connection?  Seems like it shouldn’t matter and make the connections simpler.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:41:06 by Eldergod »

yes, in a parallel network anyway.... all goes back to  same   - input

jay

jay

MokhaMark

« Reply #225 on: 29 Jun 2020, 04:21 pm »
Hi All,

I am a new member working on my first crossover. Thank you Danny and everyone for this helpful thread. I have read this thread and answered most questions, I cannot search yet for the answer to what may be an obvious question, so making a post which I think will be my third and allow me to search.

I did find Danny's post about keeping capacitors running in the same direction. However, I did not find anything indicating if it is important to use the inner or outer wire of the inductors in any direction in the crossover. I assume it does not matter, being just wound copper. Also, does it matter if the wire goin to negative, for example, crosses back over the inductor? Given where the leads in my inductors are zip tied, I am having a hard time matching Danny's pictures exactly getting to the other connections.

Thanks in advance for any answers and if the question is so remedial as to be stupid, I apologize, I am a complete newbie.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #226 on: 29 Jun 2020, 07:11 pm »
For the inductors on my X-LS crossover, I used inner wire on the input and outer wire on the output, since that's how I was shown.
That said, since its a continuous wire, I don't think orientation is too consequential like it is with resistors & capacitors.. but I could be wrong in that assumption

MokhaMark

« Reply #227 on: 29 Jun 2020, 09:00 pm »
Thank you for the info Hobbsmeerkat, I'll try to rig it that way if I can. Can't wait to hear these eventually.....

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #228 on: 3 Jul 2020, 12:29 am »
I am just starting my DIY speaker journey and the crossover was the scariest part for me. No so now thanks to Danny's youtube videos and threads like this.

Thanks a lot guys.

Phenol

« Reply #229 on: 3 Jul 2020, 10:30 pm »
Is this correct. Getting ready to install. X-LS Encore

« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2020, 12:47 am by Phenol »

Sonicjoy

« Reply #230 on: 4 Jul 2020, 12:39 am »
Hello. It would be helpful to know what model speaker it is for.

Phenol

« Reply #231 on: 4 Jul 2020, 12:47 am »
X-LS Encore.

TexE4D

« Reply #232 on: 4 Jul 2020, 05:20 am »
I'm curious, what's the reason for concealing the component info'?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #233 on: 4 Jul 2020, 01:02 pm »
I'm curious, what's the reason for concealing the component info'?
Danny asks to keep the values secret know only to him and those that purchase the kits.

That said, the overall layout looks correct, but I had the base level kit, so its slightly different than mine was, namely the first Sonicap on the tweeter circuit. Mine has a 2nd, smaller cap attached across both leads, much like the resistor later in the circuit also has a small sonicap.

Danny Richie

« Reply #234 on: 4 Jul 2020, 06:38 pm »
Is this correct. Getting ready to install. X-LS Encore

Looks good.

zoso124

« Reply #235 on: 22 Jul 2020, 11:57 pm »
Building the X-CS Encore. I'm not sure where the 2nd 4ohm resistor goes.

Danny Richie

« Reply #236 on: 23 Jul 2020, 02:16 pm »
Building the X-CS Encore. I'm not sure where the 2nd 4ohm resistor goes.

That is not correct. You have some caps in the tweeter circuit flip flopped too.

We are doing a Youtube series on the X-LS Encore build and I go through crossover layout and assembly step by step. Look for more of those to be up shortly. I have already filmed most of them, and the ones on crossover assembly worked out great.

Redorseyjr

« Reply #237 on: 20 Sep 2020, 12:33 am »
Danny, I could really use something like this for the X-Static crossover.  I’m more of a component layout guy vs the schematic I got.  The cabinets are nearly done but the crossovers have the potential to by the bottle neck to getting them up and running.

Thanks,

Rod

Danny Richie

« Reply #238 on: 20 Sep 2020, 01:41 pm »
Danny, I could really use something like this for the X-Static crossover.  I’m more of a component layout guy vs the schematic I got.  The cabinets are nearly done but the crossovers have the potential to by the bottle neck to getting them up and running.

Thanks,

Rod

At some point I will do a complete assembly of one on video. But I am not too sure just when I can get to it.

vkaul

« Reply #239 on: 21 Sep 2020, 02:27 am »
Danny, a friend of mine who knows a lot more about building circuits than I do had the following comments. Could you please comment and confirm whether I need to address any of his comments. (1) Resistors get hot...so not a good idea to have them next to to the caps. Recommend you keep them off the board for airflow and away from other components and not have them held by zip ties, he is thinking they may generate 5W or so (2) To use sandpaper and strip the ends of the inductor till the copper shows. Thanks. (BTW, hearing you comment about how the bypass caps take things to the next level. I did go ahead and order them. Being a novice took me a while to find them on the web at sonic craft and order them. Recommend you adding them as another orderable option on your site.) Given all the hours I have put into building the kit I am perfectly willing to spend another eighty dollars on the cap if that will take things to another level.) My son and I can't wait to complete the project.