Banana plugs with RM 40's

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 21 Dec 2003, 12:25 am »
So I went to hook up my new RM 40's and I go to connect my speaker cable which is terminated in bananas and it doesn't fit!!  

My bananas are standard size and fit on my Silverline Sonata II's, Reynaud Twinks Mk II, my Outlaw preamp, Denon receiver (you get the picture...)

When I say they don't fit, I mean that the banana barely goes into the binding post.  It is an extremely loose connection and not anything I would feel comfortable with.

On my other speakers and gear, the banana goes ALL THE WAY INTO the binding post!!

How can this be on a $7000 speaker?

How are others connecting their speaker cable to their 40's?

I talked to my dealer and he is shocked.  He says on his 626's that the bananas don't go in all the way, but they are very secure.

I will post pictures later on that might better explain the problem.

GW

warnerwh

« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2003, 12:54 am »
Maybe there's a bad batch of speaker connectors out there.  It's possible that they were manufactured with the wrong specs somehow. That seems very strange. My ST/R SE's are connected via banana plugs and they fit nicely.  The VMPS speakers I had before had different connectors than the present ones and the bananas worked fine on them also.  I'd call Brian and see what's up.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2003, 01:00 am »
Just talked with Brian and he is going to try and find longer nuts to use on the posts.

If I unscrew the posts almost all of the way, I can get "most" of the banana plug into the nut.  I can't do this now b/c I have to secure my jumpers (which are spades).

I asked Brian why the post isn't hollow to allow for a better connection (like many others use)...his reponse was that a hollow post could break if somebody tries to tighten the nut too hard.

Well, looks like I have to wait to hear my new 40's.

Glad I didn't sell my Silverlines yet...

GW

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2003, 01:14 am »
That sucks....I haven't tried anything but spades on mine.

Nothing worse than getting a new toy but not being able to listen to it for a silly reason like this.  You have my sympathy.

warnerwh

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2003, 01:37 am »
Why not run down to Ratshack and grab some spades? You can get some nice spades for ten bucks shipped here:  http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?accstwek&1074292286
These will fit the oversized posts Brian uses. Good Luck

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2003, 01:50 am »
I need bananas b/c I use my speakers for double duty (2 channel and HT).  Outside of the main speakers, the two systems are totally separate.  I do this by unplugging the speaker cables...

GW

jgubman

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2003, 02:43 am »
The problem is the binding posts are solid (as you know), so there's nothing for the bananas to slip into. I have my binding post nuts unscrewed 1/2" out and pushing a banana in it works for me. Makes a pretty solid connection when the banana is in, but not ideal...

Of course this won't work if you need to clamp down on a spade jumper (unless you find a really thick spade).

I think your only option is going to be trying out one of these banana->spade adaptors, available at:

http://www.jaytronics.com/connectors.htm
look for "Gold, block-type banana jack, attach under speaker screw. package of 2"

or search for part # 25587 at:
http://www.cablesandconnectors.com/

(they're both the same part).

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2003, 02:49 am »
Quote from: zybar
I need bananas b/c I use my speakers for double duty (2 channel and HT).  Outside of the main speakers, the two systems are totally separate.  I do this by unplugging the speaker cables...

GW

It's not hard to use the same speakers AND amps in a combined 2 channel HT system.

This would solve some of your problems.

Does your pre/pro or receiver have pre-outs?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2003, 03:08 am »
My pre/pro does have pre-outs, but I don't like to use my tube amps for HT.  So I have 7 channels of SS for HT.

Not ideal, but it works fine as long as I don't mind switching speaker cables.  

This was never a problem until today...

At least the speakers look nice.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rm40
« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2003, 06:29 am »
Let me explain the BP thing:

1. Almost all "5 way" binding posts have the following features: a 1/4" or 1/3" shaft with a hole drilled thru it for the bare wire nobody uses, a long serrated nut designed to be tightened by finger pressure, and a "chassis" into which the BP mounts to prevent it from twisting when tightened.

2. Our current binding posts have knurled nuts so they can be tightened with a 1/2" nutdriver which is essential for good electrical contact.  They have 1/4" shafts with no hole so they can't snap off when tightened by the nutdriver (a broken BP is a disaster which is very hard to repair in the field, and shipping the RM 40 roundtrip by truck just for minor repair is a $900 hit most owners won't appreciate).  A 5/8" banana shaft plug will only go in partway when when the nut is fully tightened.

3. However, in zybar's case where he needs the BP to accept a spade lug (for the jumper) and a banana (for the speaker wire), we have a solution.
The BP we used several years ago has an extension collar which fits between the base of the BP and the knurled nut.  With the collar installed (it's gold and brass like the BP) it holds the spade firmly to the base of the BP, allows the nuts to be tightened with the nutdriver, and accepts the full length of a 5/8" banana termination for the speaker wire with no looseness or rattling.  I am overniting zybar four of these collars on Monday.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2003, 02:03 pm »
Thank you Brian.

I can't wait to hear my 40's!

GW

John Kotches

« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2003, 11:39 pm »
Are these binding posts used on all your speakers, and is it possible to order direct from the factory with banana plug compatible binding posts?

Just curious...

Regards,

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
bananas
« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2003, 01:49 am »
We have the standard 5 way and the spade-only type, you can specify.

Dunedain

« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2003, 02:48 am »
We just got a pair of RM2's and the jumper cables we are using have banana jacks on one end.
The speaker cables have spades, so the banana jacks have to go in the binding posts that are
tightened down onto the spade lugs of the speaker wires and at least half of the length of the
banana jacks don't fit into the binding posts.  They just won't go in any more with
the binding posts screwed down onto the spade lugs.  So that isn't providing the best
connection, I suppose...

The RM2's sound great, by the way!  Instruments and voices have never sounded this real.
And when you turn them up they provide a very powerful "big" sound, if you know
what I mean.  The music just seems to flow effortlessly in a very authoritative way,
throwing a large and spacious sound field.

You can just tell these are some very serious speakers when you crank the volume a bit.
And the sound isn't strained, it's just clean and loud.  :)

After reading so very much about these VMPS RM neo speakers, it's great to actually own
a pair and to get to hear what they sound like in-person.  :)

Dunedain

« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2003, 09:09 pm »
I hope Big B. is ok out there since this earthquake has just struck.  :)

John Casler

« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2003, 10:55 pm »
That was no Earthquake.

Just Big B firing up a couple LARGER Subs before lunch  :lol:  :lol: