auri caps for mids

audiochef

auri caps for mids
« on: 21 Oct 2003, 06:00 pm »
After  22 months  I finally forked over the $425 for the upgrade and man is worth it.
    Just when I thought  it could'nt get any better. The mids are now eminating from a larger , wider area in space. Left , right  and especially center fill is improved. The mids now blend much better with the other drivers. They now image very much more like electrostatics. Male voices sound more real, there is less grain overall.
   I could only imagine what the TRTs sound like.
   Brian also stated that taking out the switch by jumping it internally would make just a big a difference. I have the first generation cabinets which the post and swith are mounted higher and it's impossible for me to reach them from the inside without prying out the boards . This will be my next project.
    By the way,I saw the CES forms on Brians desk. He was very tight lipped about what they would be, but excuded great confidence.

BrunoB

Sonicaps for mids?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2003, 01:43 am »
Quote from: audiochef
After  22 months  I finally forked over the $425 for the upgrade and man is worth it.
    Just when I thought  it could'nt get any better. The mids are now eminating from a larger , wider area in space. Left , right  and especially center fill is improved. The mids now blend much better with the other drivers. They now image very much more like electrostatics. Male voices sound more real, there is less grain overall.
   I could only imagine what the TRTs sound like.
   Brian also stated that taking out t ...

Has anyone tried the Sonicaps from Sonicraft? I have read many good review here on AC.http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=2697.msg22000#22000.  The cost for a DIY upgrade with Sonicaps is around $220 (mid + tweeter).

Bruno

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
caps
« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2003, 02:39 am »
If the caps are not trimmed to exact value on our equipment they will degrade the sound regardless of their quality.

EMC

auri caps for mids
« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2003, 05:47 pm »
Are these done by the end user or are the speakers sent back to Cali? If by the end user, what's involved?

BrunoB

Re: caps
« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2003, 09:13 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
If the caps are not trimmed to exact value on our equipment they will degrade the sound regardless of their quality.

Well, I decided to take the risk. I ordered my new capacitors from Sonicraft. They will come in two sets of four identical caps. Jeff from Sonicraft will match the quad sets to the
exact specified capacitance for no added charge. I found the correct capacitance values written on the caps inside my speaker. When I will have received the Sonicaps, I will measure their capacitance and see how much they differ from the reference.

BrunoB

Re: caps
« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2003, 09:09 pm »
Quote from: BrunoB
Quote from: Brian Cheney

Well, I decided to take the risk. I ordered my new capacitors from Sonicraft. They will come in two sets of four identical caps. Jeff from Sonicraft will match the quad sets to the
exact specified capacitance for no added charge. I found the correct capacitance values written on the caps inside my speaker. When I will have received the Sonicaps, I will measure their capacitance and see how much they differ from the reference.

I received the caps.

For the tweeter: I received two sets of 4x0.33 uF.

I measured the capacitance of the caps with a RadioShack multimeter. For the original caps, I measured 1.370 and 1.363 for the left and right speaker respectively. The value written on the original caps are 1.37. For the Sonicaps, the capacitance of the two sets are 1.363 and 1.361. The difference are in the range of 0.3-0.5%. The value measured by Jeff are 1.34 for both sets (I requested 1.37, but the Sonicaps were too close to their specs to be able to reach 1.37).

For the mid panel: I receive two sets of 4 x 12 uF.
Unfortunately, my RS multimeter cannot measure capacitances above 40 uF. According to the value written on the original caps, the capacitance I need is 48.11. I estimated the capacitance of one of the Sonicaps set by measuring the 12 uF individually and summing up the results:  48.26 uF (+0.3% from 48.11).

Sound:
I have installed only the mid caps yet. I noticed a larger and more detailed soundstage. After a few weeks, the sound is still changing. According to Jeff, the Sonicaps take a long time to break in.

I don't know when I will have the tweeter caps installed. Actually the problem is that I damaged my amp while trying to breakin the tweeter  caps directly: I connected the caps in serie  with a 4 ohms resistor to the speaker terminal and accidently made a short  :cry: .

Is this Sonicaps DIY upgrade better than the official Auricaps upgrade? I don't know and I don't plan to try the Auricaps.  If you wish to try this upgrade youself, it is at your own risk.  The saving  cost is about 50%.

Notes:

- I think there is way to have a set of Sonicaps that match the original capacitance more closely. The idea is to sent your original caps to Jeff, let him measure their capacitances with his own instrument and then match the quad sets to the exact measured capacitance.

- The stock caps reach the desired capacitance by starting with a large cap and adding  smaller caps (I suppose this is called a "cascade"). Jeff 's approach is different: select by hand a set four caps of similar capacitance. I don't know which method is best, I am neither a speaker designer nor a capacitor manufacturer.

- Using twinset of 24 uF instead of quadset of 12 uF would have saved money. Jeff recommended the quadset instead because the 12 uF  caps are faster than the 24 uF.

- The capacitor upgrades for VMPS speakers are quite more expensive than for other speakers, even with the less expensive Sonicaps as described here. I think this is normal and due to the fact that the crossover point of the mid driver is unusually  low.

Bruno

PLMONROE

auri caps for mids
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2003, 08:43 pm »
Caps within .3%.  How closely is it  that you match them Bryan?