Finally! This really works.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Finally! This really works.
« on: 5 Jul 2020, 06:59 pm »
https://youtu.be/CyTkwkK8ON0

Ron at New Record Day recently posted this video on how to position speakers for the best soundstage.

I’ve been into this hobby for over 20 years and have played around with speaker placement quite a bit.  I could never get my speakers to “disappear” like I’d heard on many high end rigs.  I always figured it was some failing in my equipment.

So a couple nights ago I did it like Ron recommends.  I started with the speakers as close to me as my cables would allow.  I barely got started and only moved my Super7’s towards the front wall first 6”, then 12”, then 18” and back 6”. 
They vanished. 
I finally got that 3D soundstage I’ve been seeking for so many years!  I mean I had separation and clarity before but could still hear the music coming from the speakers.  Now, depending on the recording, the singer is coming from about 5’ behind my speakers.  Some recordings are spooky!

Currently I’m using a Raspberry Pi with Volumio as my digital source.  That goes into a Schiit Eitr converting USB to coax spdf which then connects to a Musical Fidelity V-DAC II.
My 20 year old Bryston B60 integrated amp still gets the job done driving the top half of the Super7’s.  I split the preamp outputs with Miflex caps going back into the amp section and unfiltered runs to the A370 amps.

The only thing holding back the system is the small 10’x12’ bedroom it’s in.  Still, I get lost in the music so much easier now.

(Fixed the link)
« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2020, 08:31 pm by corndog71 »

AKLegal

Re: Finally! This really works.
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2020, 07:10 pm »

Test4echo

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2020, 07:17 pm »
So how far into your room do the speakers sit now as opposed to the previous location?

corndog71

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2020, 08:38 pm »
So how far into your room do the speakers sit now as opposed to the previous location?

Measuring from the baffle, I used to have them roughly 40 inches from the front wall and now they’re about 66 inches from the front wall.  This is facing the 10’ side.  I’m looking forward to next year when I can put all of this into a bigger room.

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2020, 09:34 pm »
 :D good ,, very good info. Gotta try.  Thanks.   :D :popcorn:

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2020, 11:54 pm »
I'd like to see a video on "speaker placement for the real world." Many of us have placement limitations for a host of reasons, one of which is sheer practicality. For instance, some of us don't have the option of moving our speakers into their optimal placement every time we crank on the system. My speakers are very heavy -- they ain't moving, and placing them further out in the room will lead to a hefty divorce settlement.

An interesting "real world" video could be an expert who visits various homes and provides setup suggestions based on the audiophile's personal limitations - first by ear, and then with basic measurements. 

corndog71

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2020, 11:59 pm »
I'd like to see a video on "speaker placement for the real world." Many of us have placement limitations for a host of reasons, one of which is sheer practicality. For instance, some of us don't have the option of moving our speakers into their optimal placement every time we crank on the system. My speakers are very heavy -- they ain't moving, and placing them further out in the room will lead to a hefty divorce settlement.

An interesting "real world" video could be an expert who visits various homes and provides setup suggestions based on the audiophile's personal limitations - first by ear, and then with basic measurements.

Maybe you just need to turn in your audiophile card and call it a day.  :lol:

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2020, 01:02 am »
Maybe you just need to turn in your audiophile card and call it a day.  :lol:

Are you implying that audiophiles don't live in the real world? Hmmm.... good point. Disregard my post. I'd like to keep my card. :duh:

sarora9

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2020, 02:33 pm »
I was wondering if the OP has diffusion panels? For my room, GIK acoustics recommended their freestanding Alpha panel that stands 12-15" behind my Spatial X3s. It does a good job of reducing the room interaction and the speakers can be closer to the front wall.

Before I got the panels, I had my X3s almost 6 feet from the front wall and was essentially listening near-field. Awesome sound, but low WAF.

VinceT

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2020, 02:40 pm »

I found there really isn't a middle ground here. The room acoustics don't care where the wife wants the coffee table if you know what I mean. What I have done in the past is found the optimal location, then move my speakers to that location when I want to perform critical listening. Still doesn't mean you can't try your best or optimize the sound where the speakers work for the decor, layout or feng shui of the room. But keep in mind the convenient speaker location 99% of the time will not provide the best results.

jcsperson

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2020, 05:00 pm »
I agree with Vince.

It's why I have a sub and speakers small enough to pull out when I really want to listen.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul 2020, 05:30 pm »
Excellent link, I added it to the Speaker Placement links in the Enclosures circle. 

I used to have Maggie's and tried the Roose placement, which is basically the first placement point in this video.  It was very enlightening, but ultimately unsatisfactory, however opened my eyes to how far down the rabbit hole you can go with placement.  I'll wait to get into my new digs in the next month or two to try this one, but I will try it.

The one third measurement is roughly the first null point that cancels the fundamental frequency in that dimension, the one fourth measurement is roughly the second reinforcement modal of that dimension.  Sitting at the one third dimension will reduce boomy bass.

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jul 2020, 06:14 pm »
Quite cool.  Especially for those with symmetrical setups or the ability to do so. 

As I share my listening room with a pool table, I have doubts it 100% would be livable for me, but it’s a cool video for a simple and smart setup guide. 

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #13 on: 6 Jul 2020, 06:36 pm »
https://youtu.be/CyTkwkK8ON0

Ron at New Record Day recently posted this video on how to position speakers for the best soundstage.

I’ve been into this hobby for over 20 years and have played around with speaker placement quite a bit.  I could never get my speakers to “disappear” like I’d heard on many high end rigs.  I always figured it was some failing in my equipment.

So a couple nights ago I did it like Ron recommends.  I started with the speakers as close to me as my cables would allow.  I barely got started and only moved my Super7’s towards the front wall first 6”, then 12”, then 18” and back 6”. 
They vanished. 
I finally got that 3D soundstage I’ve been seeking for so many years!  I mean I had separation and clarity before but could still hear the music coming from the speakers.  Now, depending on the recording, the singer is coming from about 5’ behind my speakers.  Some recordings are spooky!

Currently I’m using a Raspberry Pi with Volumio as my digital source.  That goes into a Schiit Eitr converting USB to coax spdf which then connects to a Musical Fidelity V-DAC II.
My 20 year old Bryston B60 integrated amp still gets the job done driving the top half of the Super7’s.  I split the preamp outputs with Miflex caps going back into the amp section and unfiltered runs to the A370 amps.

The only thing holding back the system is the small 10’x12’ bedroom it’s in.  Still, I get lost in the music so much easier now.

(Fixed the link)

This made my day!

corndog71

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jul 2020, 07:27 pm »
I was wondering if the OP has diffusion panels? For my room, GIK acoustics recommended their freestanding Alpha panel that stands 12-15" behind my Spatial X3s. It does a good job of reducing the room interaction and the speakers can be closer to the front wall.

Before I got the panels, I had my X3s almost 6 feet from the front wall and was essentially listening near-field. Awesome sound, but low WAF.

Oh yeah.  I have ATS Acoustics panels on the side walls.  Eventually I’ll get some diffuser panels.  Before adding the panels it was like an echo chamber.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #15 on: 7 Jul 2020, 06:02 am »
Ron will be happy to hear your story.

Rocket Ronny

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 7 Jul 2020, 02:36 pm »
Ron will be happy to hear your story.

Rocket Ronny

He already did!
Ron is Vedder323 whom commented above :p

DonJoe

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jul 2020, 11:45 pm »
Suboptimal rooms seems to be my life unless my wife lets me invade our large family room again.  My gear was evicted years ago when my, Revel Salons, sat proudly in the space.  A designer came over and asked what the trashcans were doing in my living room. For those that have seen the speakers, you know what I mean.  Once she saw it, she could not unsee it and after that, my gear got relocated to an imperfect listening room.

I used to live near GIK.  I sent them my room measurements and they mocked up ideal treatments for my room which involved more that 14 panels/diffusers/bass traps.  The end result was quite good despite my room.  Granted, sound panels in a perfect room would be even better but you get what you get...

An image that were exactly like my old trashcans for a laugh-  :lol:

Jmitchell3

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jul 2020, 03:47 am »
Position is no joke.

tomlinmgt

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jul 2020, 02:14 pm »
One thing about sound stage (for me, at least)...once you’ve experienced it done right, the hifi hobby is no longer appealing unless it’s there.