4 ohm vs 8 ohm speakers with tube amplifiers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: 4 ohm vs 8 ohm speakers with tube amplifiers
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jul 2019, 03:52 am »
I have many Klaus Schulze albums, one of them made the loudspeaker impedance drop, when I had a 4 ohms speaker the impedance fell to a level my famous pro-audio power amp 4 ohms capable burn a diode, I afraid of 4 ohms speakers.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2019, 07:39 am by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jul 2019, 03:59 am »
Tekton could connect these 4 ohms woofers in serial for a more easy 8 ohms load.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jul 2019, 12:20 pm »
Don't redesign the wheel FRM, I'm sure the builder knows what they're doing. Series wiring (assuming they aren't already) changes other parameters. 

Even though they don't publish an impedance curve that I see, the builder said the 4ohm version doesn't dip below 4ohms.

They simply made available a different version for folks who have tube amplifiers that don't have a 4ohm tap or have high fixed output impedance typical of SET. Apparently, that version is a slight compromise in performance.  No need for the OP to compromise. The builder recommends they buy the 4ohm version.  :D

rushfan71

« Reply #23 on: 22 Jul 2019, 07:25 pm »
Thanks Rusty, way to go the extra mile. :beer: