Salkstream III no longer showing on network

Saturn94

Salkstream III no longer showing on network
« on: 6 Jul 2019, 11:23 pm »
I can no longer see my Salkstream III via my Windows 10 computer network to add music.

I have no problem accessing it via Roon using the same computer as a remote, so I know it’s connected.

I tried using Fing on my iPad to find the IP address, but the only thing I see that looks like the streamer is the minidlna player (I can see splayer  minidlna on my Windows 10 computer network as well).

I did a search and found this suggestion, but it doesn’t work for me.  I get an error message that says “Windows cannot access \\10.0.0.98”

“If you bring up Windows Network, click on the menu bar and (in your case) type "\\10.0.0.98" (without the quotes).  You should then see all the folders on the StreamPlayer and can access them.  Basically, you are telling Windows to access the IP address of the StreamPlayer. Using this technique, I can access all of my other Windows computers and network devices even though they don't show up initially.”

Any idea what to try next?

PS - tried rebooting Salkstream and computer, no luck.  If I click to diagnose network, it says “file and print sharing resource 10.0.0.98 is online but isn’t responding to connection attempts”.

PPS - I broke out an old laptop running an older version of Windows 10 Home.  I had no problem seeing the Salkstream files as well as the files on my desktop Windows 10 (current Home version.  I use the desktop to rip CDs, store a copy of my music files, and transfer music files to the Salkstream since the old laptop really isn’t suitable for all that).  Using the laptop, I was able to transfer the Music files I just ripped from CD on the desktop from the desktop to the Salkstream.  I hope I don’t have to do this every time I want to add music to the Salkstream!  :(
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2019, 02:09 am by Saturn94 »

NHSkier

Re: Salkstream III no longer showing on network
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2019, 02:12 am »
Sometimes the network will assign the Streamplayer a new network address upon reboot. I have found that it's usually your previous address +\- 1 so 10.0.0.29 might become 10.0.0.30 or 10.0.0.28.

Resetting the router seems to fix problems more often than resetting the Splayer itself, at least for me.

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2019, 03:04 am »
Sometimes the network will assign the Streamplayer a new network address upon reboot. I have found that it's usually your previous address +\- 1 so 10.0.0.29 might become 10.0.0.30 or 10.0.0.28.

Resetting the router seems to fix problems more often than resetting the Splayer itself, at least for me.

Thanks!  Indirectly, you help me find the solution.  :thumb:

It dawned on me (I am NOT computer savvy) that the 10.0.0.98 is an IP address for that only pertains to the poster who was also having this problem.

So I looked at Fing again.  There were two “generic” devices listed, so I tried those IP addresses; no luck.  I then tried the one that said “splayer: minidlna” and bingo, the Salkstream files came up!

As mentioned before, I could see “splayer:  minidlna” under Network > Media Devices, but could not see the Music file on the Salkstream where all my music resides.  So I didn’t think that IP address would work (I was wrong!  :duh: ).

So, to make it simpler in the future, I pinned a shortcut to the Salkstream music file to the File Explorer > Quick Access list on my desktop computer   That way I don’t have to type the IP address every time.

Ugh, did I mention I hate computers?  :x

NHSkier

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2019, 01:01 pm »
Glad I was able to help in a roundabout way. I've navigated my fair share of Splayer quirks with Jim's help. He's great about supporting his products even when he doesn't have to (out of warranty). Puts him right up there with Bryston and PSAudio for impeccable service.

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2019, 04:34 pm »
Glad I was able to help in a roundabout way. I've navigated my fair share of Splayer quirks with Jim's help. He's great about supporting his products even when he doesn't have to (out of warranty). Puts him right up there with Bryston and PSAudio for impeccable service.

Agreed!  Jim was very helpful getting me set up to use the HDMI output (to my Oppo 103) up and running to play multichannel music files, even though that’s a “non standard” use of the Salkstream.  It involved adding a line of code to the Salkstream’s OS.  So in a way, I have a custom Salkstream III.  :thumb: