Which volume control to use?

Rusty Jefferson

Re: Which volume control to use?
« Reply #20 on: 3 May 2023, 09:49 pm »
From the amplifier manufacturer website, I see this.

"(I have been asked by many if you can use a pre-amplifier with our models of amplifiers and the answer is YES, just connect your favorite pre-amp to the inputs and turn our volume control up full, this effectively takes our control out of the circuit. But our amp is an integrated so you can also use it without a pre-amp no problem)"

rockadanny

« Reply #21 on: 3 May 2023, 10:10 pm »
Yes, I saw that. But messing with knobs I hear difference with amp volume set at 3/4 so original concern: can I do this without harming anything.
If I remove preamp altogether the sound gets too thin for my liking.
Not a knock against this type of setup or quality of amp, just sounds this way with my source gear.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #22 on: 3 May 2023, 10:55 pm »
Yes, I saw that. But messing with knobs I hear difference with amp volume set at 3/4 so original concern: can I do this without harming anything.
If I remove preamp altogether the sound gets too thin for my liking.
Not a knock against this type of setup or quality of amp, just sounds this way with my source gear.

You won't harm anything, so use them in a way that sounds good to you.
Others can do as they like in their own systems.

rockadanny

« Reply #23 on: 3 May 2023, 11:01 pm »
 :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 4 May 2023, 12:54 am »
Stereo amp circuit document shows "Autoformer Volume Control".
Volume control with transformers usually are hi quality.

rockadanny

« Reply #25 on: 4 May 2023, 01:49 am »
 :thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #26 on: 4 May 2023, 03:59 am »
Yeah, autoformer volume controls are indeed very high quality and don’t present the technical issues/considerations that smooth pots and stepped attenuators do. The thinness you’re hearing going amp direct could be due to several things, but likely is the most transparent way to go. As you prefer the sound with the preamp inline, I agree with what others have said. If you feel you’re getting the best sound with the amp’s volume control 3/4 of the way open, then roll with it. If it was a typical smooth pot, I’d say definitely turn it all the way up, so it is fully out of the way of the signal as much as possible. But since it is an autoformer, then this generally solid advice is not necessary valid in this case. I’m assuming your preamp has a smooth pot (maybe an ALPS?) in it, so in that case (if 7 o’clock is fully closed and 5 o’clock is fully open) then my advice earlier to adjust the volume control on your amp such that ~11 o’clock or ~12 o’clock + is the most used range on your preamp, still holds. The goal is to get the potentiometer in the preamp to not be used in that 7 o’clock to ~ 9 o’oclock range where they tend to have trouble with channel imbalances.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #27 on: 4 May 2023, 06:39 am »
When using a modern amplification with a digital display that goes up to 0dB, how do you reference that to a 7 o'clock/min - 5 o'clock/max configuration?

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #28 on: 4 May 2023, 01:03 pm »
Maybe an OTL thing or specific to Berning's design but I have a Berning ZH-270 amplifier and the manual explicitly states to NOT turn preamp volume to max (and use amp level control for attenuating signal). "Doing so may over-load the high level stages in the preamp". Berning recommends opening amplifier pot to max and using preamp volume to attenuate.

I also have a Raleigh Audio dac with resistor, stepped volume pot. Manual recommends turning volume to max when using with a dedicated preamp as this configuration allows signal to pass through.

Your situation may be different where input/output impedance dictate the best case scenario. In that event I would try Rdavidson's advice.

-Dieter

charmerci

« Reply #29 on: 4 May 2023, 07:03 pm »
I'm surprised Van Alstine hasn't chimed in here yet. Years ago, he said it was best to have the amplifier all the way up because, I could be wrong about this, the preamp noise level is very low and by turning it up, you're doubling or tripling it and the amplifier is amplifying that distortion.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #30 on: 4 May 2023, 09:26 pm »
I'm surprised Van Alstine hasn't chimed in here yet.

He did.

Oh the horror, the noise is so bad I can barely hear the music, but it sure sounds better.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 4 May 2023, 10:53 pm by opnly bafld »