Adding sub to Super 6 XRS set up?

lousyreeds1

Adding sub to Super 6 XRS set up?
« on: 26 Aug 2017, 05:00 pm »
Hi all,

I have the wonderful Super 6 XRS operating in a large-ish space (~500 sq ft of combined area), used with both a low-watt SEP amp and a 75 watt class A/B.  I'm thinking of adding a DeepOmega 8, both to extend the frequency response and to add a sense of ease/scale to more complex music.  Is a single 8" sub going to do those two things, or do I need to look at other options?  I realize this is all subjective, but I'm interested to hear your collective thoughts.  Approximate layout is shown in the image below (speakers are on the bottom left). 

Thanks for your help!

mick wolfe

Re: Adding sub to Super 6 XRS set up?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2017, 04:49 pm »
Very similar room layout as yours with an adjacent dining area. Square footage is similar as well. The caveat here is that I'm using Spatial M2 Turbo's, not Omega's in this space.  FWIW then, I've had much better luck with 2 subs in this type of an open space. However, placement of a second sub in your case might be a little more challenging because of the doorway.  I'd probably give a single sub a try for openers. .....placed in the strong corner  behind your right speaker. 

lousyreeds1

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2017, 05:29 pm »
Thanks, Mick.  Two subs isn't an option right now, but one is.  The question is whether adding the 8" Omega sub is going to result in a noticeable difference in this space, given that I've already got floorstanders with 6" drivers.  All comments appreciated.

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2017, 03:34 pm »
This is where you should ask Louis for the most accurate assessment. My thought is that you would be fine with the acoustic support of corner placement....plus the synergy of using an Omega sub with Omega mains.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2017, 01:00 am »
Sorry, I forgot to answer your actual question ......yes, I believe even a single sub when properly tuned will enhance/improve your current system.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2017, 03:29 am »
I'd go with distributed bass. Three or more subs scattered around the room. It would be interesting having two 8" subs and one 15". Four subs would be great. Theory is that more subs you have, the more likely you'll have equalized bass throughout the room. There are variations but in general, more subs leads to less overhang and clearer, more agile bass.

roscoe65

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2017, 11:53 am »
Thanks, Mick.  Two subs isn't an option right now, but one is.  The question is whether adding the 8" Omega sub is going to result in a noticeable difference in this space, given that I've already got floorstanders with 6" drivers.  All comments appreciated.

Is it a matter of funds or a matter of space?  Most of us deal with both of these problem to varying degrees.

I think you will be happier with a stereo pair of subwoofers crossed over a bit higher than normal (100-200 hz) to flesh out the upper bass.  While adding deep bass will give you more impact, you will really feel it in the mid and upper bass.

I realize that this is Louis' circle, but he doesn't currently sell a "full sized" bass module.  The 8" is good, but you are trying to fill a 4,000 cubic foot volume, keeping up with efficient main speakers.  My living room volume is about 3,300 cubic feet and I use stereo subs with 2 x 8" drivers in each.

An alternative that a number of users have chosen have been the Rythmik servo subwoofers.  They are "fast" and if you choose paper-coned models they can blend seamlessly with the paper-coned mains.  For my money, the best bargain they sell is the L12 Sealed sub at $539 shipped.  It is only slightly larger than an Omega 8 and will move a lot more air.

On a related note, Louis has built custom enclosures for Rythmik components.  His workmanship and quality are better than the factory Rythmik options.

lousyreeds1

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2017, 08:17 pm »
Thanks.  I'm limited both in terms of space and money.  Rajacat, what you suggest sounds great but I can't have subs scattered all over the living room :)

Roscoe65, thanks for the rec on Rythmic.  It looks like their entry-level subs only have line level inputs, though, which won't work in my setup.  Other thoughts - or pointers toward a good used sub for sale that matches well with Omega and really moves some air - are welcome.

pursuitofnow

« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2017, 03:43 am »
I think the 8" Omega sub is going to result in a very noticeable difference. It did for me.

I'm using an 8" Omega sub that I had front mounted instead of bottom, and use it with a 2 watt Decware SE84UFO amp and it sounds really good. It really added the missing bottom end that now I can't see living without. My room is 13 x 15, so a little smaller than yours. The speakers are Dayton PS-220 which are 8 inch full range drivers at around 96db. I run the sub off the speaker outputs on the amp to the sub. Works great. I use this setup for analog listening and digital tv/movies.

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2017, 02:09 pm »
Thanks.  I'm limited both in terms of space and money.  Rajacat, what you suggest sounds great but I can't have subs scattered all over the living room :)

Roscoe65, thanks for the rec on Rythmic.  It looks like their entry-level subs only have line level inputs, though, which won't work in my setup.  Other thoughts - or pointers toward a good used sub for sale that matches well with Omega and really moves some air - are welcome.

Gallo CLS-10 or CLS-12 subwoofer.   Watch for them used, should be $500 or less.  I know of 3 guys (including myself) using them with their Omegas to great results.

Search AC on "gallo omega"  to find comments from me (and others) on the pairing.  The Gallo can be run either line or speaker level, and offers the ability to high pass your mains -- IMO a great feature that improves the already great Omegas.

johzel

« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2017, 02:49 pm »
Gallo CLS-10 or CLS-12 subwoofer.   Watch for them used, should be $500 or less.  I know of 3 guys (including myself) using them with their Omegas to great results.

Search AC on "gallo omega"  to find comments from me (and others) on the pairing.  The Gallo can be run either line or speaker level, and offers the ability to high pass your mains -- IMO a great feature that improves the already great Omegas.

I have a pair of CLS-12's I might just be willing to sell.  Building a new house and likely will no longer being using one or both.  They're about to go in storage for the next 6 months or so while we build.  Not sure I'd want to ship them, however.  They're quite heavy.