JVC RX-F10 & Multi-Channel Maggies

geofstro

• Sound Galleries: High-End Audio in Monaco
« on: 22 Dec 2005, 03:09 pm »
Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted here. I picked up relatively early on the JVC Hybrid Digital gear from this circle and have had my JVC ES1 SL for over a year. There was something compelling about that first thread on the ES1 that kept me going back to it and eventually buying that receiver. Now I'm putting together a Multi-Channel home theatre set-up and it's going to be based on Maggies as follows:

MGCC3 Center channel
MGMC1 Pair for Front Right and Left
MGMC1 Pair for Rear Right and Left
Plus my existing TBI Magellan Subwoofer for the .1

The ES1 obviously won't be up to the job of driving these Maggies, so based on the wealth of information here I tracked down an RX-F10 (it's running in at the moment)

Has anyone else tried this? All the information I've read is based on two channel systems. However, I figure if it can handle the Maggie 1.6QR in a two channel system, the rest of the channels should be up to driving this proposed 5 channel Maggie set-up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Seasons greetings to you all.

Geoff

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2005, 06:41 pm »
Hey Geof,

Long time, no hear from you...welcome back.

Forget the ES-1 driving Maggies in any configuration...the first version hybrid digi amp was incapable of doing so.  The 2nd generation F10 is more than capable....based on folks using it on 1.6, 12's and MMG's (including, me) with 2 channels (one fella' here, I can't rember who, use two in a biamp config).

If you tax that wee little power supply too much with too many channels of low sensitivity, 4 ohm loads, it  may not be up to the task.  It almost certainly will run hot in doing so.  But, it certainly might dependent on a lot of factors.

Therea  gret article on JVC's top-of-the-line RX-D702 receiver (150 watts x 7) with the newest, 3rd generation architecture within. You'll note in the power specs that it has prodigeous output in one channel, but grows weaker the more you ask of it.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=895&page_number=1

So, don't know if anyone can answer your particular questions except you.  Look at it this way - it probably WON'T blow up  :wink:

Get some power conditioning on that over-achieving receiver, too, bud - it's worth the efforts.  I have common mode noise (BPT balanced power unit), differential noise (high frequency filters in the BPT and a BrickWall filtering unit placed before it in the chain) and quantum noise (Bybee AC purifiers) all being employed to great effect.  

Pretty stupid what you have to do to get a $200 receiver to sound great....but great it does. All that filtration helps all the other components to make better music, too, of course.

geofstro

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2005, 08:15 am »
Hi ChairGuy,

Thanks so much for your good advice and observations. I will add power conditioning as soon as funds allow. The sub will be driven by the low level sub output, so hopefully that will help. I will be gradually replacing conventional 8 ohm load box speakers with Maggies in this system, so I'll be able to judge how the F10 is doing as I go along. I'll be starting with the center channel CC3 then adding one pair of MC1's at the front followed by two at the rear.

Your remarks on the power supply and that article you provided the link for, have me concerned. The fan on the F10 seems louder than the ES1, just while running it in on a two channel system. I guess if it's not up to the job of driving 5 Maggies it will simply shutdown on me and I'll have to look for another reasonable cost alternative.

I'll probably keep my old ES1 for use on high efficiency speakers, since I'm still fond of it's tubey sound.

Thanks again

Geoff

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2005, 11:35 am »
Quote from: geofstro
Hi ChairGuy,

Thanks so much for your good advice and observations. I will add power conditioning as soon as funds allow. The sub will be driven by the low level sub output, so hopefully that will help. I will be gradually replacing conventional 8 ohm load box speakers with Maggies in this system, so I'll be able to judge how the F10 is doing as I go along. I'll be starting with the center channel CC3 then adding one pair of MC1's at the front followed by two at the rear.

Your remarks on the power supply and that article you provided the link for, have me concerned. The fan on the F10 seems louder than the ES1, just while running it in on a two channel system. I guess if it's not up to the job of driving 5 Maggies it will simply shutdown on me and I'll have to look for another reasonable cost alternative.

I'll probably keep my old ES1 for use on high efficiency speakers, since I'm still fond of it's tubey sound.

Thanks again

Geof,

I found the F10 fan to be louder than the ES-1sl in any configuration...so I'm not sure it's any indication of 'stress' on the F10.

The power supplies in these JVC's are really, really finicky.  They like as noise free an AC power source as possible.  Put those future funds to buying some good conditioning and you'll really benefit.

For little money, the Enacom AC filters are reported to be very, very effective.  They are only $85 stateside - they are made in Japan and are placed in parallel with your AC source (that is, in any unused outlet in your wall or power strip that powers your equipment).

:) Good luck with that multi-channel experiment.

geofstro

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2005, 07:15 am »
Thanks again ChairGuy. You've convinced me on power conditioning and I feel better about the F10's fan. I have a Russ Andrews Superclamp AC filter plug that works in a similar way to the filters you've described, so I'm gonna give it a try first.

Cheers

Geoff