Comparing the Omega line up

Capt. Z

Re: Comparing the Omega line up
« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep 2009, 09:25 pm »
Keep me in mind on the pair of 6 XRS that we spoke about. I will try selling mine here online to 'produce' some cash for the upgrade.

Louis O

« Reply #21 on: 18 Sep 2009, 09:33 pm »
Hi Capt Z,

I will and sure there will be more.

Thanks,
Louis

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #22 on: 22 Sep 2009, 02:19 pm »
Capt. Z....I don't really see where you mentioned what it is about your current speakers that you would like to improve.  If you can use that as a starting point it usually becomes a little easier to figure out a course of action.

I will say from my own experience with the MaxHemps that the Alnico drivers smoothed things out nicely and eliminated the occasional stridency and sibilance that I would hear with the ferrite drivers.  The other thing I noticed with the Alnico drivers is that they don't take nearly as long to break-in as the ferrite drivers.  Mine were quite stable and sounding great after about 50-75 hours as I recall.

--Jerome

Capt. Z

« Reply #23 on: 22 Sep 2009, 02:34 pm »
Hi Jerome;

My Hemp drivers in my Omega 5 have about 500 hours on them and they are probably working at their prime now.

I love most things on my Omega 5, thou sometimes I do wish for a little more warmth. (mids)

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #24 on: 22 Sep 2009, 02:42 pm »
Hmmm....I'm driving my speakers with a pair of 300B SET mono blocks and the sound definitely has the warmth that I value.

I see you're using what appears to be an integrated tube amp but I can't tell from the picture what it is.  Could you provide some information on that amp and what tubes you are using with it?  That would be helpful.

--Jerome

Capt. Z

« Reply #25 on: 22 Sep 2009, 02:48 pm »
I usually drive the Omega 5 with a Bottlehead SEX amp, and sometimes connect them to my Conrad Johnson CAV50. CD player is a Cary 308T (tubes)

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #26 on: 22 Sep 2009, 02:56 pm »
Could you provide a list of the tube compliment for your amps?  The reason I ask is that some tube amps sound warm and others sound very much like a solid state amp.  If all you really would like to change in your sound is to add a bit more warmth then changing out your speakers might not be the best option for you.

Capt. Z

« Reply #27 on: 22 Sep 2009, 03:03 pm »
The Bottlehead has original tubes, there are not to many other brands out there. Besides that, what I read they all sound pretty much the same, maybe a very small difference.

My CJ CAV 50 has Tele 12ax7, Ken-Rad VT 231, and a mix of JJ and GL KT77.

CD player has Mullards 4003 (I believe)

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #28 on: 22 Sep 2009, 03:11 pm »
Very interesting.  And you think that the sound of your Omegas with the CAV 50 using those tubes is too bright?

--Jerome

Capt. Z

« Reply #29 on: 22 Sep 2009, 03:15 pm »
The Sound of the Omega 5 is better with the CAV 50. Running only GL KT77 in it with the Omega may do the trick. Otherwise I just wished for warmer mids.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #30 on: 22 Sep 2009, 03:16 pm »
Cap. Z,

Are you using any acoustical treatments in your listening room? They can do a lot to tame strident high frequencies.

-Roy

Capt. Z

« Reply #31 on: 22 Sep 2009, 03:18 pm »
No room treatment, can't do treatment, I am married  :lol:

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #32 on: 22 Sep 2009, 03:21 pm »
Are you using any acoustical treatments in your listening room? They can do a lot to tame strident high frequencies.

Excellent question Roy.  I was also thinking that additional tube rolling with the CAV 50 might be the ticket.  I'm not trying to talk Capt. Z out of moving up the Omega line if that's what he has his heart set on.  It just helps to have the correct expectations concerning what such a move will net you.  It has been a while since I heard the XRS speakers in Louis' shop, but I do remember thinking highly of them with the amp that Louis was using.  I did prefer the Max Hemps though.  I thought their mids were just a shade more lush and bass response was notably better.

--Jerome

Capt. Z

« Reply #33 on: 22 Sep 2009, 03:27 pm »
I had spoken to Louise O about this and he informed me that the Omega 6 have a lot more mids than the 5. However, due to the extra expense of the Alnico driver and the really slow market for selling my Omega 5 may put an upgrade to the 6 out of the picture.

Haven't done any tube rolling in the CAV 50 for the Omega, since the CAV 50 is always used for my ACI Sapphire III and 'tuned' for those speakers.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #34 on: 22 Sep 2009, 03:28 pm »
One wall of my room has a large window. I can definitely hear a difference when I place a couple of 2", 2'x4' panels over the window. The edge is taken off the high freqs. and it seems that the sound stage becomes more expansive.

-Roy

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #35 on: 22 Sep 2009, 05:34 pm »
Haven't done any tube rolling in the CAV 50 for the Omega, since the CAV 50 is always used for my ACI Sapphire III and 'tuned' for those speakers.

Ok....but if you think the CAV 50 sounds better with your Omegas than your Bottlehead....wouldn't that seem to suggest that the latter might not be a good fit for your Omegas?  Unless you are swapping back and forth all the time, I don't see why you wouldn't consider additional tube rolling for the CAV 50 to "tune" the amp for you Omegas.  You can always put the other tubes back in for your other speakers.  Of course, if you are constantly switching between speakers that may not be the best strategy.

--Jerome

Louis O

« Reply #36 on: 1 Oct 2009, 12:43 am »
Hi Capt z,

Good idea to send them up here and have me take a listen. I'll go through everything regarding the speakers.

Thanks,
Louis

User24

« Reply #37 on: 26 Nov 2009, 05:48 am »
More "bass" with larger drivers needs to be defined. I feel that although the larger drivers have deeper extension, the tonality is still the same. The spec may be 35Hz, but the lightweight tonality is shared across all models I have used (4'', 6.25'', 8''). There is not going to be a warmth emphasis in the mid bass, unless a subwoofer is turned up real high to around 150Hz at the expense of agility.

The mainstream is used to small cube speakers paired with subwoofers crossed very high, such that male voice monologue will vibrate the sofa cushions. It is a pleasing effect although totally unrealistic and best suited for watching movies. It takes some getting used to when one doesn't get the same effect moving to larger Omega speakers; the sound still remains fast and light, just with larger soundscape.

Capt. Z

« Reply #38 on: 26 Nov 2009, 04:33 pm »
Thanks for the great insight.

I recently taped a very thin sheet of Toilet Paper over the 4.5 driver which reduces the output of the highest frequencies and makes the 4.5 driver appear warmer (shift of balance).

Besides we are just adopting a child so all my hobby expenses are FROZZEN.

knut_the_viking

« Reply #39 on: 12 Mar 2010, 09:52 pm »
I used to have the same NAD cassette deck.  I wore it out back in the day.......

I seem to remember my old (vintage 1990) NAD tape deck looking a lot like that one, too. I think it was a model 6340. It's still sitting neatly in my dad's "man cave". Not seeing much use.
Dolby B and C, Normal/Chrome/Metal settings.
"Play trim", whatever that was. Possibly equalizer before the Dolby circuit.
I recorded a lot of tapes for cars etc up until 1997, when I got my hands on a CD burner for music.

Ah, good times