Care and feeding of your Omegas

Alwayswantmore

Re: Care and feeding of your Omegas
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jan 2007, 06:01 pm »
OK, so cables DO matter... A LOT!

I'm in the process of building a new house, so I don't want to buy expensive cables until I know my final room configuration (and sound characteristics). So far my listening has been with cheap, cheap, cheap wire from Lowes.

I did however buy some bulk Anti-cable, just to be able to experiment. This morning I attached the AC to my Compact Hemps, and WOW, it made a big difference. Which is good news for me because it helps affirm that Hemps will be a speaker I can live with -- hopefully for years to come.

The following picture is my preferred listening position, where they are pulled out from their normal home on either side of the TV. Not a pretty setup, but they sound good here.

The sound is very alive, to the point of being more alive than any speaker I've ever heard. I sometimes have to ask myself "if what I'm hearing is right?" Because if it is, then all the other speakers I've ever heard must be wrong??? [Bear in mind, this is my first experience with single drivers, and I've never heard open baffles.]

I don't want to leave the impression that they are perfect, or that I still don't hope to find additional improvements over time. But I must say that vocalists have never sounded more like they're in the room! The sound is very engaging -- like audio crack!

Canyoneagle

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jan 2007, 07:22 pm »
Those are beautiful!
I can see the difference between the MkIII drivers in yours versus the ones in mine (MkII I think).  Those wizzers are HUGE!  I'd imagine the soundstage is amazing.

Have you played around much with toe in yet?
I've found I like mine best aimed just behind the sweet spot.

Warmly,
Michael

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #22 on: 16 Jan 2007, 08:47 pm »
Those are beautiful!
I can see the difference between the MkIII drivers in yours versus the ones in mine (MkII I think).  Those wizzers are HUGE!  I'd imagine the soundstage is amazing.

Have you played around much with toe in yet?
I've found I like mine best aimed just behind the sweet spot.

Warmly,
Michael
Hi Michael,

Yes I've tried multiple toe-in positions, and haven't settled on a favorite. I hope in the new house I'll have a little more flexibility on placement -- but the room I'm in now if full of furniture, and not going to change prior to showing the home to perspective buyers.

Imaging is still an area that I believe I can do better, through additional break-in and better positioning. Right now they image very well for solo piano, voice and let's say acoustic bass. Unfortunately, as soon as the recording engineer puts in an extream right or left positioned instrument (like second guitar), the image falls right back to the speaker. I'm hoping that over time I can find a way to better make the speakers transparent in the room -- something my old system did extremely well (where you almost NEVER could could pinpoint the satellite speakers).

Given the restrictions of the room -- for the time being -- I will probably use the  HEMPS primarily for background music and movies. With the hope they will be all broken in and ready to really shine in the new house.

Since I own K1000 ear-speakers, which are not room dependent, the AKGs will likely remain my transducer of choice until the move. Rest assured, I've heard their potential, and am confident that -- under the right conditions -- the HEMPS are going to surpass my beloved K1000s.

Canyoneagle

« Reply #23 on: 16 Jan 2007, 08:57 pm »
I have certainly found that the soundstage is much wider with the toe-in, but my speakers are about 7 feet apart, and their placement is symmetrical in the room (which I think evens out the reflections).
I predict that you'll find similar results once you get them set up in the listening room.

Like you, I've found the Compact hemps to have a startlingly similar sound to my headphones (AKG K-701), which I quite enjoy.

I'll be curious to hear your impressions in the coming weeks/months.
When will the big move occur?

Cheers,
Michael

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #24 on: 16 Jan 2007, 11:14 pm »
What amp/preamp are you using with your Hemps?

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jan 2007, 03:06 am »
When will the big move occur?
If all goes well, we will move in June or maybe July.

What amp/preamp are you using with your Hemps?
My system...
Wadia 830 CDP with Wadia's new P upgrade (adds second power supply) -- this unit acts as CDP, DAC (for DVDs), and digital preamp / linestage
Transparent Audio Super AC cord & Ayre Myrtle Wood Blocks
RedWine Audio Signature 30 (for both K1000 headphones and the Hemps)
Hudson Audiopath 8-wire silver IC (with Eichmann Silver Bullets) [Recommended by both Louis and Vinnie, well worth the $ IMO]
Anti-cable as an interim speaker cable (I plan to try Omega / Hudson copper in the new house); I also have a DIY Anti-cable pigtail for my K1000s

Louis O

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jan 2007, 04:59 pm »

Hi Alwayswantmo,

Thanks and I'm pretty spoiled in having a fairly large room and very high ceilings. They will settle in and when I break in the speakers it's in mono so as to break in evenly. This could affect the break in and the imaging right now. The room also has a lot to do with it, but in time they will image great.

Great system and I saw the AKG booth at NAMM and he said the K1000s were his favorite headphones.

Hi Michael,

I have always positioned them with slight toe in and I will try more myself with the 8" hemps. The big wizzer is a definite improvement in imaging too.

Thanks again,
Louis