Subs

Folsom

Re: Subs
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2015, 10:44 pm »
Admittedly not the best picture, but this is how to hook up a sub in a music system if you aren't using a pre-amp that cuts the low frequency to the main amp.  The sub is only taking signal off the amp and the amp sees no additional load from the sub. 

When running speaker level connection, I never daisy chain from amp to sub to speakers

You can also use resistors to run it into the signal in. The sound is a bit better that way it seems.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2015, 11:50 pm »

You can also use resistors to run it into the signal in. The sound is a bit better that way it seems.

Can you offer more info on how to do this and figuring resistor values?  I am setting up stereo mid-bass units that only have line in.  It would be nice to try speaker level in to preserve the tube amp sound.

Thanks......Peter

Folsom

« Reply #22 on: 25 May 2015, 12:38 am »

pstrisik

« Reply #23 on: 25 May 2015, 01:29 am »
There's a few things out there on it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/202646-subwoofer-circuit-going-speaker-level-line-level.html

Thanks for the pointer.  It looks like there are ready made converters for as little as $10.  As long as it didn't affect the speaker signal going to the Omegas, might be worth giving it a try.

.....Peter

pstrisik

« Reply #24 on: 25 May 2015, 04:33 pm »
We discussed active (line-level) high pass filtering earlier in this thread and the Paradigm X-30 as a relatively inexpensive way to implement this.  If anyone is interested in experimenting with the approach, I have my X-30 currently listed on ebay (search ebay for Paradigm X-30).  The results were good enough for me that I ordered a more sophisticated (aka "expensive") line-level crossover from Marchand. 

I don't mean to get commercial, but this seems relevant enough.

.......Peter

cbarth

« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2015, 08:04 am »
Hi

I don't have Omega speakers (although I'm considering trying them), but I have a Oppo BDP105D.

I also have a custom made six channel analog preamp.
I only use stereo speakers (Klipsch Forte II) plus subwoofers (BFM THTLP's), but I found that highpassing my speakers in the digital domene before any da or ad converters, I'm not affecting the signal quality.

The gain for me is a signifycantly increased level of bass definition and dynamics. And of cource I can play a LOT louder if I so please.

There are also several multichannel analog preamps out there; Decware, Copland, Parasound and so on.

Just my 2c.

Cbarth