SUPER ALNICO MONITOR IMPRESSIONS:

DBC

SUPER ALNICO MONITOR IMPRESSIONS:
« on: 5 Apr 2015, 06:39 pm »
Been burning in my Omega Super Alnico's for 7 days now with the Peachtree 220se integrated. This morning I swapped in the Super Zen and took some sound pressure level measurements.

Meter: Radio Shack analog SPL meter. A weighted, Slow response. Placed at listening position.

Room: 16' x 21', vaulted ceiling with large openings into other large areas of the home. Front of speakers placed 4' from the front wall and spaced 9' apart. Listening position is 11' from each speaker. Hard wood floors with large padded area rug. Modest room treatments (absorption & diffusion).

Equipment: Oppo 105D, Stock Super Zen with 8 ohm output transformers, Omega Super Alnico's, Twin Hsu Mid Bass Modules connected via speaker level with crossover set at 150hz.

Music: AC/DC Powerage CD, tracks included Rock & Roll Damnation, Up to my neck in you, Sin City.

Sound Pressure Level Readings:

Super Zen Volume Control set at 12:00 O'clock: Average SPL = 83db
Super Zen Volume Control set at  1:30 O'clock:  Average SPL = 87db
Super Zen Volume Control set at  3:00 O'clock:  Average SPL = 92db

For my taste the 12'00 O'clock volume setting is ideal for lengthy listening at moderately high volume without fatigue (Very Satisfying). At the 3:00 O'clock volume setting I did not notice any obvious strain on the part of the amp or speakers.

When I turn the Mid Bass Modules OFF the music is obviously a bit thin for my taste on the bottom end. I should mention this is also the case with my Klipsch RF-7's so it is not a fault with the Omega.

IMO go with the Omega Monitors, place them where they sound best. Go for the DeepOmega 12 for real Bass, place it where it sounds best and simply dial in the correct volume for your room & personal taste.

Finally, The Super Zen and Omega Super Alinco's are a great match. I will be providing additional impressions after some more listening and as time permits. The Omega Single Driver implementation creates a wonderful Soundstage (for those that might be sitting on the fence regarding a purchase). It's hard to believe the Alnico Monitors are rated at 93db, the sound is much bigger than the rating. Quite honestly there is not much difference in the Volume Output of my Klipsch RF-7's compared to the Omega Alnico Monitors when using the Super Zen. There is a big difference in the sound quality, Hands Down Omega.

hdrider

Re: SUPER ALNICO MONITOR IMPRESSIONS:
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2015, 12:45 am »
Please keep us posted on the break in and how they progress. I should have my 7XRS mkII by Thursday. I have to say that I am beside myself waiting to hear my Decware gear on a speaker without a crossover. Sounds like volume (sound pressure) is not a problem with your system. I will be interested to hear the bass on the 7's, I have talked to a few owners who claim that the bass was great and you won't need a sub but…I just have a feeling that Louis will be getting a call about a 12'' in walnut in near future. Keep posting, keep listening and thank you, Chris.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2015, 03:10 pm »
Two things are very important:
1) The Super Zen needs minimum 2VRMS input from the source.
2) Any Omega speaker needs at least 100 hours break in playing music with a good amount of bass and percussion at medium volume.

DBC, your implamentation when running bass augmentation is well thought out.  I too would have the speakers further out from the back wall.

Without bass augmentation, as in my case, I find I get very satisfying bass with my speakers close to the rear wall.
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2015, 06:11 pm by Canada Rob »

DBC

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2015, 07:39 pm »

Rob makes good points. I don't want people to think the Omegas don't have Bass they do and more than I was expecting as I have them positioned. Being 4 feet out from the wall imaging has pinpoint accuracy and the Soundstage is VERY BIG and completely seamless.

Yesterday was really my first critical listening. The speakers have well over 100 hours of play time. With regard to the Sound Pressure Levels I provided earlier, SPL is only part of the equation. These speakers produce such a large Soundstage that it gives the listener a sense of a VERY BIG SOUND even at lower volume settings. Adding Bass augmentation simply enhances the BIG SOUND effect further. Even at low volumes the overall effect is very satisfying.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2015, 09:16 pm »
Thanks for the report.

Note that especially in later years, Klipsch has been notorious for overstating their speaker efficiencies.

nature boy

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2015, 09:44 pm »
Super Zen + Omega Alnico Speakers = Magic!
Enjoy your new speakers.

NB

DBC

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2015, 03:43 pm »
I realize few of my comments / impressions of the Super Alnico Monitors are likely to be news to those who already own Omega speakers. Also I can only comment on what I hear in my room based on my own personal taste. I'm simply attempting to help out some of the folk's that were like me and had never heard these speakers before and are sitting on the fence with regard to a purchase.

The main reason I waited so long to order (over a year) was a concern that my 2 watt Super Zen would simply not have enough juice to drive the Omega's. In my case, with a relatively large room and Bass reinforcement volume is simply not an Issue for me. I watched the Red Hot Chili Peppers Live At Slane Castle DVD last night at a high yet comfortable volume and had additional volume left to spare. The sound quality on this DVD is very good.

The Omegas reproduce the best electric guitar that I have heard. These speakers have a great Top End, never Edgy yet never rolled Off either. I should note the my Oppo player and Decware Super Zen are not usually described as warm. I like both for their honest transparency & clarity which on some speakers can be a bit edgy on the top end. The Omegas are simply silky smooth with this combination, the best in transparency and clarity I have heard in my listening room.

Another attribute is a pinpoint Soundstage Focus that I have not heard before (no bleed between instruments or vocals). Voices and instruments all have a very distinct space within the soundstage. This provides for much more audible vocals and micro detail within the music. All recordings are more inviting and interesting as a result. This degree of Focus creates a very large Soundstage and a very BIG SOUND, even at low listening levels. In my case the Bass reinforcement adds further to the BIG SOUND effect, especially at low volumes.

So if you have never owned a "Single Driver" speaker there has got to be a weakness right, no free lunch? The quality of Top End, Mid Range, Bass and Volume are all there. It is really quite impressive.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2015, 09:59 pm »
DBC, your experience in many ways mirrors mine - the Super Zen and Super Alnico Monitor are a very special combination.

Louis worked with John Harrison at Tone Tubby in developing the HempCone cone for his (Louis') Alnico driver.  No wonder it's a wonder with electric guitar.  I find it's a breeze with highly complex music from Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance Marches to the Celtic Woman series, not to mention acoustic music and vocals are SO right.  This speaker has an effortlessness of presentation like few I've ever heard.

ryanmartinson

« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2015, 03:19 pm »
Thanks for the interesting post! Could you give some impressions of the Peachtree vs. the Super Zen with the Omegas?

Audiophile58

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2015, 09:43 am »
Thanks Guys for all your feedback. Myself owned  a hifi shop in the U.K until 06 and became somewhat brain washed from the more drivers the better Mantra.in fact being into modifications a Xover can be very complex and the heart of the speaker most companies under $10k use crap for Capacitors and other pssts even sand resistors ,that gritty sound No Thank you. I owned several of Omegas speakers the 1st edition 8- hemp's were
Very good but no where as open and detailed as these new Alnico 6 from what others say.  I am just ordering mine  and looking forwards to  hearing  them . One thing for sure is with the outlaws model I heard
It is clean open and voices that are pretty darn close to Live. I have yet to find a convention box speaker under
$10k that can compete.i have had  stats,planers.apogee ribbons  the closest for sonic purity but need Tons of power, and $$
The money saved I can now have a nice solid  state  ,as well as Vacuum tube amp Single ended .on Omegas I am told is a real treat.thanks again for all  contributing feedback.Happy Listening,Paul.

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2015, 03:06 pm »
Thanks so much for your subjective review DBC. Alnico Monitors are in my future. It's just a matter of time. :thumb:

DBC

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2015, 03:37 pm »
RDavidson,

I'm not one to be constantly rotating equipment through my system. I tweak to get the most out of what I have which is part of the fun for me, I'm not on a relentless quest for Perfect. Learning the basics of room acoustics, absorption, diffusion, speaker placement and other aspects separate from the equipment helps a lot. No matter how Great the equipment, if your speakers are in the wrong spot or you are sitting in the wrong spot or live in a Tin Shed, Great equipment will not fix such issues.

I had my Klipsch RF-7 floor standers for 12 years and they have served me well. During that time I auditioned a number of speakers in rooms other than my own which is a bit tough to compare. This year I thought I would treat myself to a completely different speaker (single driver monitors). Basically I took a somewhat blind plunge based on what I could glean from sights like this. I appreciate the input from others that led me to this purchase and hope to contribute in a positive manner for others with some useful observations.

The Super Alnico Monitors have exceeded all my expectations by a long shot. With this as the Omega Reference, I have to believe their other speakers sound great as well. These are truly a great value in my book and are providing me with a great deal of enjoyment.

ZLS

« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2015, 03:44 pm »
Thanks Guys for all your feedback. Myself owned  a hifi shop in the U.K until 06 and became somewhat brain washed from the more drivers the better Mantra.in fact being into modifications a Xover can be very complex and the heart of the speaker most companies under $10k use crap for Capacitors and other pssts even sand resistors ,that gritty sound No Thank you. I owned several of Omegas speakers the 1st edition 8- hemp's were
Very good but no where as open and detailed as these new Alnico 6 from what others say.  I am just ordering mine  and looking forwards to  hearing  them . One thing for sure is with the outlaws model I heard
It is clean open and voices that are pretty darn close to Live. I have yet to find a convention box speaker under
$10k that can compete.i have had  stats,planers.apogee ribbons  the closest for sonic purity but need Tons of power, and $$
The money saved I can now have a nice solid  state  ,as well as Vacuum tube amp Single ended .on Omegas I am told is a real treat.thanks again for all  contributing feedback.Happy Listening,Paul.

If I may ask, what SS Amp are you using?

One of the many great things about the Alnico 6 Driver, is that they sound great with SS.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2015, 04:02 pm »
RDavidson,

I'm not one to be constantly rotating equipment through my system. I tweak to get the most out of what I have which is part of the fun for me, I'm not on a relentless quest for Perfect. Learning the basics of room acoustics, absorption, diffusion, speaker placement and other aspects separate from the equipment helps a lot. No matter how Great the equipment, if your speakers are in the wrong spot or you are sitting in the wrong spot or live in a Tin Shed, Great equipment will not fix such issues.

This has been my approach too, I have been improving my system for about 10 years now with the Super 3 XRS being a constant. The potential in Omega speakers is WAY up there, just because they don't cost a fortune doesn't mean they can't produce world class results!

RDavidson

« Reply #14 on: 9 Apr 2015, 04:06 pm »
I actually find myself on the gear merry-go-round MUCH less these days. I had a pair of 3xrs (late production with RS5 drivers) I bought used. I sold them a couple of months ago. Why? I'm now sold on Omegas and low power class A sound. I bought the 3xrs as just an economical way to hear Omegas in my system, with the intention of later purchasing another pair of Omegas in the finish I want (assuming I liked what I heard, which I did VERY much). There's so much right with this combination of "simple" speaker and amplifier design. To top it off, this approach is economically within reach of many in this hobby......if you're willing to wrap your mind around the fact that most (who listen at sane levels and don't have cavernous listening environments) don't need anywhere near 1000 watts and giant multi-driver speakers. To each their own, of course.

At this point, the only thing holding me back from getting Alnico Monitors right now is that I'm rearranging things (and working on selling some stuff). Also, I may be moving in a few months. I'm so sold on Omegas that I feel virtually zero need to have have extra gear around to satisfy my previous "cravings" to listen to other combos of stuff. For example, when I had KEF LS50's and the 3xrs simultaneously (both hooked up to Pass amps), guess which speakers got more playing time. :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2015, 04:58 pm »
DBC, thank you for posting your impressions.

I have an open question to all who have a pair of Louis's speakers. I have been told (without hearing them for myself) that single driver speakers are finicky about placement and listening position. Can you describe your experience with the speakers you own. Have you felt a great or lesser need to add acoustic treatments now that you have Omega speakers in your listening room? [If you're concerned about sounding too critical in Louis's Circle, please PM me. I will not betray you.]

I will be sitting in CanadaRob's showroom in approximately four weeks to FINALLY hear Omega speakers for myself rather than having to rely on reading about them. Party at Rob's house! Rob, what on Earth will my wife find to do while I am in your showroom? [shopping? natural beauty? ROSS? free wifi?] She is not an audiophile in the making.

Thanks, all!

Michael

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2015, 05:29 pm »
DBC, thank you for posting your impressions.

I have an open question to all who have a pair of Louis's speakers. I have been told (without hearing them for myself) that single driver speakers are finicky about placement and listening position. Can you describe your experience with the speakers you own. Have you felt a great or lesser need to add acoustic treatments now that you have Omega speakers in your listening room? [If you're concerned about sounding too critical in Louis's Circle, please PM me. I will not betray you.]

I will be sitting in CanadaRob's showroom in approximately four weeks to FINALLY hear Omega speakers for myself rather than having to rely on reading about them. Party at Rob's house! Rob, what on Earth will my wife find to do while I am in your showroom? [shopping? natural beauty? ROSS? free wifi?] She is not an audiophile in the making.

Thanks, all!

Michael

I don't think they are any more picky about placement vs any other speaker... in some ways less so because the high frequencies have narrowing dispersion which is more forgiving. Many times speakers with wide HF dispersion (dome tweeters) require more care as far as placement and room treatments to deal with the added HF energy. So I would actually say they are easier to deal with than average.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 9 Apr 2015, 05:44 pm »
Hi Michael,

Omegas are one of the easiest to place speakers I have ever had in my possession in many years of audio.  3s, 7s, Hoyts, Alnicos, all easy to place.  That said, room enhancements and playing with positioning obviously will improve things.  I've run Omegas in big rooms, small rooms, dead rooms, live rooms, short walls, long walls, small desktops, large desktops, and a mantle, all with good to excellent results.  Amplification types have been SET, SEP, PP, gain clone, class T, class A/B, and MOSFET.  Any issues I have had, though small, have been suitable amplification of which the RS5 (but not near as picky as its predecessor) is the most picky of the Omegas. 

Addendum: add class D to my amp list.  I'm loving the Temple Audio Bantam Gold for desktop and room.
« Last Edit: 4 May 2015, 03:42 pm by Canada Rob »

DBC

« Reply #18 on: 9 Apr 2015, 05:52 pm »

I have to agree with DaveC113, placement has been relatively easy compared to others. I have just a few absorption panels along the side walls at first reflection points and a bookcase and some other items along the back wall to provide some degree of diffusion. And as discussed in another thread here you don't want to be sitting slam up against the rear wall. Follow a few basic Acoustic 101 rules and they sound Great.

DBC

« Reply #19 on: 3 May 2015, 09:50 pm »
This weekend I've had a chance to listen extensively to the Omega 6 Monitors driven with my Peachtree Audio 220se (220 watts per channel, Class D amp). Listened to quite a few Concert Blu-Rays including Queen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Joe Bonnamassa, Peter Maffay (my girlfriend is German born and a fan of Maffay) and many others. Used my twin Subs.

The combination Just Kicks Ass. My guess is I'm using about 10 of the Peachtrees 220 watts and the Omega 6 Monitors play Loud without breaking up while the sound remains very detailed yet smooth. Dynamics are crazy good.