What have I found? Any good?

geowak

What have I found? Any good?
« on: 8 Mar 2015, 03:47 am »
I found a pristine VPI HW-19 turntable recently. It comes with an AUDIO-TECHNICA AT-1010 tone arm. Seems like a good one and it sounds fine. New belt too. Is it a decent turnatble? Don't even know if the price is good.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: What have I found? Any good?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2015, 03:55 am »
Soooo, what IS the price?   :scratch:

geowak

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2015, 03:57 am »
$1800 firm with a Denon cart. Don't know which one, though.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2015, 04:02 am »
Geo, it's a better than "decent" table.  Recommend you jump on it like a duck on a bug.  Not familiar with the arm but AT ain't no scrub.  Tell us the Denon model number.  Regardless, if it were me and I didn't have a TT . . bug city.  You bet yer dang skippy.  Is this replacing an existing table?  Or, a new/old  venture for you?

geowak

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2015, 04:25 am »
I have been wanting to get back into record albums for a couple years now. I gave up a Thorens TD 320 in the 90's and went with CDs. The only thing keeping me from grabbing it.. is the wife. I need to come up with some kind of miracle reason, why I need it. I don't know what kind of Denon cart it has, but will find out.

So yeah... it's a new venture. BTW how does one make a TT look like a kitchen appliance?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2015, 05:32 am »
 The HW19 comes in many flavors, Mark I, II, III, and IV.  They are vastly different in sound quality and value.  If it's a Mark IV it's a fantastic bargain, a Mark III fairly priced, Mark II I would bargain a little, a Mark I would be a rare find, not impossible, just rare.  Then there are upgrades.  Any Mark can easily be upgraded to the next higher model or more, or partially upgraded.  The most popular being the Mark III platter and bearing.

The AT1010 arm is a very high quality product.  The top of their product line at the time.

Then there's the cartridge.  Dennon's vary from modestly priced to fairly expensive.  If the seller is not selling a step up transformer for it, it's likely a high output MC like a DL160 or 110 that are very nice cartridges, but don't add much value to the table.

The take is we need more info, hopefully this post will give you some good questions to ask.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2015, 01:32 pm »

BTW how does one make a TT look like a kitchen appliance?

Put it on the kitchen table with a little flower vase, salt and pepper shakers, and some napkins.  Tell her it's a Lazy Susan.  When she gripes "but it doesn't match the curtains!" act hurt and say "OK, Honey, I'll move it."

Simple!   :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2015, 02:38 pm »
I have been wanting to get back into record albums for a couple years now. I gave up a Thorens TD 320 in the 90's and went with CDs. The only thing keeping me from grabbing it.. is the wife. I need to come up with some kind of miracle reason, why I need it. I don't know what kind of Denon cart it has, but will find out.

So yeah... it's a new venture. BTW how does one make a TT look like a kitchen appliance?

Hi geowak,
you probably have seen in a Chinese restaurant
that center platter that rotate to pick what you want,
well tell your wife that's exactly what it is
and when it will start rotating at 33-1/3
you tell her that it's too fast
and move it to the living room.
I wonder if that could work ???
 :scratch:

Guy 13

geowak

« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2015, 04:54 pm »
Good suggestions for the wife... thanks. (HaHa) I will find out if it's a MK I, II, III or IV from the guy selling it. I asked about the cart today and the guy said it's a Denon DL-110 high output moving coil (just like letitroll98 wrote). Also he stated it has a solid aluminum platter and a Delrin screw clamp.

BTW I like the belt drives and rim (idler) drives, not so crazy about the direct drives. But I know there are some really good DDs out there.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2015, 05:33 pm »
Good suggestions for the wife... thanks. (HaHa) I will find out if it's a MK I, II, III or IV from the guy selling it. I asked about the cart today and the guy said it's a Denon DL-110 high output moving coil (just like letitroll98 wrote). Also he stated it has a solid aluminum platter and a Delrin screw clamp.

BTW I like the belt drives and rim (idler) drives, not so crazy about the direct drives. But I know there are some really good DDs out there.
I'm with you on belt drives.  Haven't heard that particular cartridge but have a lot of confidence in Denon MC's and Let's opinion.

geowak

« Reply #10 on: 9 Mar 2015, 07:15 pm »
Here is a pic of the table. No word as to the exact model yet.