Cooking Bacon

Saturn94

Re: Cooking Bacon
« Reply #20 on: 11 Aug 2023, 01:14 am »
On the rare occasion we eat bacon, I use a cast iron skillet or sheet pan on the grill outside, cooked until crispy.  That way the house doesn’t smell of bacon for two days.  The grease goes in the trash.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #21 on: 11 Aug 2023, 06:53 pm »
.... but, but, having the house smell like bacon is one of the added benefits!!

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #22 on: 11 Aug 2023, 07:40 pm »

That's what I thought too!

Usually I cook up a pound, in a cast iron skillet.  Once it cools I freeze it.  Then, whenever I want a BLT without any trouble or mess, I microwave about 3 pieces for 30 seconds and it's like it was freshly cooked!

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #23 on: 11 Aug 2023, 08:20 pm »

It's a feature, not a bug :lol:

Saturn94

« Reply #24 on: 11 Aug 2023, 09:37 pm »

Lol, I don’t want to smell anything for that long! 😝

GlennDog

« Reply #25 on: 11 Aug 2023, 11:08 pm »
Once it cools I freeze it.  Then, whenever I want a BLT without any trouble or mess, I microwave about 3 pieces for 30 seconds and it's like it was freshly cooked!

Freezer container?

does all the cooked bacon go in one vessel? sans TASTY greasy lubriosness??

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #26 on: 12 Aug 2023, 05:39 am »
I’m an industrial type of guy, but I like tomatoes and lettuce on mine. I guess sort of both… :scratch:

I can imagine that the industrial version with the bread grilled and buttered (like a grilled cheese), tomato slices, and a leaf of lettuce would be the best.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 12 Aug 2023, 11:53 am »
We bake it in the oven on a cookie sheet.

ctviggen

« Reply #28 on: 12 Aug 2023, 02:07 pm »
Could stop eating bacon too. Win-win for your drains and your arteries.  :lol:

There's never been evidence for this.  First, bacon is higher in monounsaturated fat than saturated fat.  See here:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-bacon-bad-or-good#TOC_TITLE_HDR_3

The same exact type of MUFA that's in that supposedly miracle elixir olive oil.

The idea that saturate fat causes heart disease is based on an idea, which never panned out. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36477384/

I could go on, but let's say I've eaten a lot of bacon and lost quite a bit of weight doing so, and got a coronary arterial calcification scan (a measure of atherosclerosis) done after 5.5 years keto, and got a score of zero. 90% of people my age had higher scores.

Now, I've given up on bacon, only because I have a tendency to overeat it.  Nuts too.  Try not to eat either of these.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #29 on: 12 Aug 2023, 03:11 pm »
There's never been evidence for this.  First, bacon is higher in monounsaturated fat than saturated fat.  See here:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-bacon-bad-or-good#TOC_TITLE_HDR_3

Dude, it was a joke, relax. Do you really think I care if these guys eat bacon?

That said, you should probably read the rest of the article you linked and the discussion of salt and high blood pressure, cured meats and acrylamides in general related to Cancer risks.

Also, when I Googled your respected author I pretty quickly found articles from people critical of what Kris was preaching in his writings. At the end of one such article was this statement:

*Update 2019: I recently received an email from Kris Gunnars explaining that he wrote this article (and a lot of others like it) in an attempt to go viral and gain attention. He since regrets writing many of them and deleted many of them before selling his website to Healthline. Kudos to him for reaching out to me with an explanation.

djbnh

« Reply #30 on: 13 Aug 2023, 02:09 pm »
Mostly we cook in the oven as well (sometimes I will fry it).

When cooking in the oven, we use a sheet pan covered in foil and wire rack on top of that.

This approach creates super crispy bacon and with minimal clean-up required (just need to wash the wire rack).  Let the grease harden on top of the foil, roll it up and throw it out - clean and easy.

This approach also allows you to easily add flavorings/seasonings to your bacon.  Bourbon, maple syrup, spices, rubs, etc...

George
We used to use the same method. Then we stopped using the wire rack - crispier bacon and no rack to wash. Hey, is there really a bad way to make bacon? LOL

mav52

« Reply #31 on: 13 Aug 2023, 02:31 pm »
We cook it in the oven and or if the wife wants drippings its the cast iron and the drippings go into a mason jar and once cooled into the fridge to be used later on for seasoning, like ; pan sauces and gravies for depth and smokiness or swap it for some of the butter or shortening in your favorite cornbread, biscuit or use a spoonful of bacon grease instead of cooking oil to sautée vegetables or hash browns.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #32 on: 14 Aug 2023, 03:29 pm »
    The oven works best for us. Set at 425. Put bacon on large baking sheet. Put in at 425 and turn down to 375. About 20 minutes for crispy Bacon. Save fat by pouring into a jar. If you do not want any fat put paper towels under Bacon.

charles

RDavidson

« Reply #33 on: 14 Aug 2023, 06:18 pm »
We bake it in the oven on a cookie sheet.

That’s the way to do it. The bacon turns out so much better this way than cooking it in a pan. The bacon is so consistently, light and crisp…almost like a Ritz cracker made of bacon. Even thick cut bacon takes on this consistency. It’s so good!

JakeJ

« Reply #34 on: 15 Aug 2023, 03:37 am »
    The oven works best for us. Set at 425. Put bacon on large baking sheet. Put in at 425 and turn down to 375. About 20 minutes for crispy Bacon. Save fat by pouring into a jar. If you do not want any fat put paper towels under Bacon.

charles

Do you mean put the paper towels on the sheetpan before cooking?  NOT advisable due all the chemicals released from the heated paper towels.  Sure drain the bacon on paper towels (white only, no inks or dyes) but I would never cook anything on a paper towel.  Parchment paper is made for cooking on but it won't absorb much grease.

I have cooked many sheetpans of bacon in my restaurant days, it really does proved the best results.  That said, I'm not heating up the oven for just single strip.  I cook a one-egg breakfast most days, one egg sunnyside up on a small portion of home fried potatoes with onions ans one strip of bacon or a pair of link sausages.  I par-boil the spuds and make three or four portions of diced red potatoes.  I can bang out breakfast in about 20 minutes.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #35 on: 15 Aug 2023, 04:23 pm »
Do you mean put the paper towels on the sheetpan before cooking?  NOT advisable due all the chemicals released from the heated paper towels.  Sure drain the bacon on paper towels (white only, no inks or dyes) but I would never cook anything on a paper towel.  Parchment paper is made for cooking on but it won't absorb much grease.

I have cooked many sheetpans of bacon in my restaurant days, it really does proved the best results.  That said, I'm not heating up the oven for just single strip.  I cook a one-egg breakfast most days, one egg sunnyside up on a small portion of home fried potatoes with onions ans one strip of bacon or a pair of link sausages.  I par-boil the spuds and make three or four portions of diced red potatoes.  I can bang out breakfast in about 20 minutes.

That is how I was taught by the Head Chef. I prefer not to use them as we like the fat.

charles