Coffee grinders (burr) electric

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Coffee grinders (burr) electric
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jul 2020, 05:33 pm »
What about a dryer fabric softener sheet under it???

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #21 on: 11 Jul 2020, 05:54 pm »
You know, I didn't think about giving it a shot from my zerostat gun, I'll try that tomorrow and report back
Rather than just adding a couple of drops of water, I think I'd wipe the catch canister with a wet paper towel.  The plastic gets much of the charge whenever my grinder produces static.  Then use the Zerostat if that doesn't work.

RPM123

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jul 2020, 06:50 pm »
Or, if you want something for your grinder and your records try this: https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/ds-audio-vinyl-ionizer-ion-001/

:D

SET Man

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jul 2020, 10:03 pm »
Hey!

I've been using Capresso Infinity burr grinder for the past 11 years. I grid coffee for French press and Moka pot.  I got it in black. The letter rubbed off a bit over the years.  I do wish it had on off switch though for more precise amount setting. Otherwise it still works fine.

This reminded me of an episode of America's Test Kitchen about coffee grinders...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7LAzSKgeoQ

The episode is from December 2018. Look like my Capresso Infinity grinder is still holding up against other grinders well.

As for static, well it is not so bad with this machine, depending on the day. But overall it is not messy with this machine. I do have some grind coming out around a bit after a few times but nothing major.

Buddy

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #24 on: 12 Jul 2020, 04:44 am »
Baratza Vario here. I sometimes notice a little static, but it hasn't been an issue for me. My first grinder was a Rancilio Rocky doserless. It's in my vacation home now. I've owned it for about 6 years now, and it just keeps chugging along.

If I ever upgrade from my Vario, I'll take a hard look at the Mazzer Mini.

Michael

twitch54

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jul 2020, 04:48 pm »
Well, the zerostat worked, somewhat, it's old so I don't know how effective it really is

S Clark

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jul 2020, 05:14 pm »
Reading the comments I see that several of us have grinders we've been using for 10 years or more, and I realized I'd never taken my Gaggia MDF grinder apart to clean it thoroughly.  After watching a quick youtube how to video, I took it apart and wow!  I can't believe it still worked.  So much gummed oil and coffee had built up, it's amazing that it still ground a bean.  :oops:  Over the years, I hadn't noticed how the grinding time was getting longer and longer.  It's now grinding at twice the speed of before.  I'm sure you guys haven't been as negligent as I was, but if your grinding time seems to have gotten longer, it may be time to clean you machine. 

jwlaff

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jul 2020, 06:16 pm »
I have a Baratza Sette 30.  No static at all.  Nice reliable grinder. Have had it a few years.

bummrush

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jul 2020, 11:44 pm »
Solis. Maestro. 15 years.

bummrush

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jul 2020, 11:45 pm »
I need to clean mine for ages,Just never get around to it.

S Clark

« Reply #30 on: 13 Jul 2020, 12:21 am »
I need to clean mine for ages,Just never get around to it.
I understand completely.  This thread was made me realize I'd had mine forever and never really cleaned it.  I had no idea how badly it needed it.
By the way, the Maestro looks like it's really easy to clean. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #31 on: 13 Jul 2020, 02:23 am »
Reading the comments I see that several of us have grinders we've been using for 10 years or more, and I realized I'd never taken my Gaggia MDF grinder apart to clean it thoroughly.  After watching a quick youtube how to video, I took it apart and wow!  I can't believe it still worked.  So much gummed oil and coffee had built up, it's amazing that it still ground a bean.  :oops:  Over the years, I hadn't noticed how the grinding time was getting longer and longer.  It's now grinding at twice the speed of before.  I'm sure you guys haven't been as negligent as I was, but if your grinding time seems to have gotten longer, it may be time to clean you machine.

It helps a lot to avoid oily beans, they are burnt and best avoided anyways!

S Clark

« Reply #32 on: 13 Jul 2020, 03:18 am »
It helps a lot to avoid oily beans, they are burnt and best avoided anyways!
I roast my own, and seldom to the point of oily... but crap builds up over enough years. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #33 on: 13 Jul 2020, 08:28 pm »
I've used Grindz with decent success. ( Baratza Encore) Seems to do a good job. This considering I roast to an occasional French or Vienna Roast as well. Oil build up hasn't been as issue.

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #34 on: 14 Jul 2020, 03:04 pm »
I really like my Vilfa Svart, but I don't brew espresso. It grinds very well from cupping to moka pot size, but not fine enough for espresso.
It's a lot of grinder for the money! Around 100€.

this_is_vv

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jul 2020, 06:15 am »

S Clark

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jul 2020, 12:34 pm »
I've used an older Gaggia Baby (very similar to the Classic) for years, and kept it over more expensive Rancilio Silvia.  The Baratza should be a nice pairing for it. 

johnto

« Reply #37 on: 16 Jul 2020, 06:11 pm »
I use a Gaggia MDF  for espresso grind and have never had any problems. Also have Zassenhaus hand grinder for French press. It's definitely worth spending a bit extra for a good quality grinder.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #38 on: 12 Dec 2021, 03:13 am »
Anybody have any experience with any of the Eureka Mignon grinders? Considering upgrading from my Baratza Encore to something like the Silenzio. Mainly for espresso for my Gaggia Classic Pro

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #39 on: 12 Dec 2021, 03:46 am »
I dont know these grinders but learned that only the very fine grinding is desirable, the finer the coffee the better for any type of coffee, the medium grind is useless.

I yet dont found such grinder, usually they have only one grinding blade, which is insufficient.