Adcom + Salk

rowdyrobot

Adcom + Salk
« on: 2 Aug 2022, 01:49 am »
Hello Everyone.
I'm new to the forum - a Michigander transplanted on the west coast for some years now. Nice to meet you.
In June I ordered a pair of Song3's on the strength of a friend's recommendation and this forum. I couldn't be more excited to receive them. I've been replacing components of my 22yr old system this past year: Adcom GTP-600 --> Parasound Halo P5, Adcom CD player --> Marantz CD6006, the BIG ONE Definitive BP-6 --> Salk Song3.

I still have my Adcom 7400 amp. I only listen to music in 2 channel stereo (fusion, zhuel, prog rock, film scores, avant-garde rock, classical, ambient, noise). Tell me I'm crazy to use this 22 year only amp with Song3's. Tell me I need a new amp. Tell me which amp I need.

Please and Thank You.
-rowdyrobot

Hydro

Re: Adcom + Salk
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2022, 04:06 pm »
Adcom built really good Amps that last and last. I have had a few of them and have never been impressed with their resolution and imaging. My suggestion would be a Van Alstine Set 400. You will never look back.

Nsm1979

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2022, 05:52 pm »
I also had Adcom in the past.  A Van Alstine Set 120 is in my current system.  Very pleased.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2022, 06:18 pm »
I still use Adcom amps as part of my surround setup. They are built like tanks and work forever but as Hydro wrote, not the best in resolution, finesse or imaging.

I use the Van Alstine Set 400 with my Salks, they are a synergistic match. Everything the Set 400 does from deeper, tighter bass, clear highs, grain free midrange with excellent imaging is better than the Adcom.

rowdyrobot

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2022, 03:41 pm »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The SET 400 sounds good. I only wish there were more detailed specs available online.
I reached out to Frank Van Alstine. The SET 400 is no longer available and is being replaced in the coming months with a new model.

rowdyrobot

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2022, 11:36 pm »
How about a single Benchmark AHB2 driving a pair of Song3? Does it have enough ooompf?

PSB Guy

« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2022, 04:08 pm »
How about a single Benchmark AHB2 driving a pair of Song3? Does it have enough ooompf?
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=182595.0

AllanS

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2022, 11:05 pm »
Since Van Alstine is mentioned the M225 have been getting a lot of good attention. 

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172943.msg1919882;topicseen#new

You need a new amp!  I don’t know why but I think you’re looking for any reason.  Just because can be good enough.

But the basic answer to your question is an amp’s ability to drive speakers depends on what you want from your system.  Jim is pretty good to bounce questions like this off of. 

I ran a pair of 84dB Supercharged Song Surrounds with a 60W Schiit Ragnarok quite comfortably but I’m in a relatively small space and prefer to listen at pretty moderate volumes.

If the Adcom is working okay you may want to spend some time getting caught up.  The landscape has changed a lot in the last couple of decades.  There’s more flavors to choose from than Baskin Robbins and just saying you favor chocolate isn’t close enough! 

Welcome and enjoy!

JCarney

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2022, 11:26 pm »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a manufacturer here on AC. Odyssey. Klaus tailors each amp to his customers needs. I've owned a Van Alstine pre, and Odyssey amps and together it was lovely. You cannot go wrong choosing either company for quality of product, bang for buck, or customer service. Both companies excel at all those requirements.

Good luck with your search,
JCarney

rowdyrobot

« Reply #9 on: 6 Aug 2022, 03:33 am »
Thanks everyone!