Poll

How long do you guys keep a pair of speakers? (rough average of course)

About a month or so.
I swap ‘em out a couple times a year
Every year I gotta scratch that itch
After they settle in for a few years, all seems good, but then I can’t help but change it up a bit.
Wait, what?  You people get new speakers?  Why would you do that?  These things are awesome!
Until they rot...  (then maybe re-foam the cones and keep ‘em alive)

How long do you go before changing Salks?

funkmonkey

How long do you go before changing Salks?
« on: 22 Mar 2020, 04:00 am »
    Hope you all are doing well in this very strange time, and that you have a bit of fun with this.
             Cheers  :beer:

oem-wheels

Re: How long do you go before changing Salks?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2020, 04:25 am »
I had to vote the "wait, what" answer.. I was the "every year or 2" guy.. I've had my Salk Song3a for about a year and a half and don't see me parting out with them at all.. When I get the itch, its something else in the chain.. I've wondered couple times if I can make these speakers even better in the crossover from whatever parts he uses as "standard".. 

funkmonkey

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2020, 05:31 am »
I’m in the “until they rot”... then resurrect ‘em category. Old ones are still around, and I have multiple systems because of that.  My Salks haven’t even hinted at wanting to budge...  for about 12 years I think. 👍

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2020, 04:34 pm »
Definitely "until they rot". I still use a pair of JBL L100's I bought in 1975, compared to those speakers my Salk's are still newborns.

PSB Guy

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2020, 05:11 pm »
I voted for the "wait, what" answer, but honestly, the longer I have my Songbirds, the more I am realizing how perfect they are for my needs and taste. They may end up being lifetime speakers.

Cornelis

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2020, 07:23 pm »
My change ups are more about decor than sound.  I have supercharged song towers, they sound great. I am really close to pulling the plug on a pair of Silks because they will fit better with my style these days.  Not to mention, I love 2 way monitors.

JDoyle

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2020, 09:56 pm »
I voted “rot”, but it would probably be a choice of a different veneer over a different sound from my Encores

R Swerdlow

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2020, 02:20 am »
Definitely "until they rot". I still use a pair of JBL L100's I bought in 1975, compared to those speakers my Salk's are still newborns.
Interesting.  I followed a similar path as you, but added one more Salk step along the way.

I also had JBL L100s I bought in 1973.  In 2006 I took them to Dennis Murphy who designed a new, much improved, crossover for them.

Then I got SongTowers in in 2007 and retired those L100s.

Replaced them with Veractiy STs in 2016.  They sound quite similar to your Mesquite HT2-TLs, but with 6" mid woofs and a smaller footprint.  I still have them and don't intend to replace them.

billmcc

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2020, 10:54 pm »
I voted "Wait, what..." I love my HT2-TLs, 1801b (center) and 1801-TLs (surrounds)! Have no interest at all in upgrading any of the components in my system :).

Bill

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2020, 01:48 pm »
2011 - Songtower-RT
2014 - Upgrade to Veracity-ST
2019 - Upgrade to Song 3 BeATs

Last upgrade.  The BeATS are going nowhere!

Rocket

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2020, 02:42 pm »
Hi Guys,

I voted 'after they settle in for a few years...'

Salk Sound HT2's 2008
Salk Sound HT3's 2013
Salk Sound Song 3's (haha I bought these secondhand in Perth)
Oh and somewhere along the way I bought Salk Sound rhythmic subwoofer.

I'm using the Song 3's and have the HT3's in storage until I have more room. I'm not going to sell them.

Cheers Rod

screener

« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2020, 02:59 pm »
2011 - Songtower-RT

How would you describe the differences between the Veracity-ST and the Song 3 BeATs?

TJHUB

« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2020, 03:03 pm »
There should be a selection for "When my needs changed"

2009 HT2-TL (new, sold in 2014)
2014 HT3 (used 2010 version)

The main reason I changed my Salk's was due to my new home purchase in 2014.  I used to run a combined 2-channel/HT setup in one room, but split the 2-channel and HT rooms in the new home.  As such, my dual subs moved into the HT room and I didn't feel the HT2-TLs gave me what I wanted in a dedicated 2-channel room with no subs.  The HT3s have performed amazingly, and while I have looked at a few other speakers, nothing seems to come close to making me want to replace them. 

Ace Deprave

« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2020, 07:31 pm »
2011 - Songtower-RT

I have Veracity-STs also, what do you like better about the BeATs?

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 2020, 08:08 pm »
I have Veracity-STs also, what do you like better about the BeATs?

I get this question alot!  Both speakers are fantastic.  I could have lived with the ST's forever, they are that good.  I believe the ST's are easier to place than the BeATs in that they can be a bit closer to the back wall and still maximize their imaging.   That being said, the Beats have a wider and deeper soundstage.  I also feel the BeAts have more definition in the bass, but probably not "more' bass.

Hope that helps

Rick

Ace Deprave

« Reply #15 on: 24 Mar 2020, 08:32 pm »
I get this question alot!  Both speakers are fantastic.  I could have lived with the ST's forever, they are that good.  I believe the ST's are easier to place than the BeATs in that they can be a bit closer to the back wall and still maximize their imaging.   That being said, the Beats have a wider and deeper soundstage.  I also feel the BeAts have more definition in the bass, but probably not "more' bass.

Hope that helps

Rick

Thanks! I'm not looking to upgrade, was just curious. I love my Veracity STs and paired with a pair of Rythmik F12s, I'm not lacking bass!

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2020, 08:34 pm »
Thanks! I'm not looking to upgrade, was just curious. I love my Veracity STs and paired with a pair of Rythmik F12s, I'm not lacking bass!

That is a killer setup!  I've seen your system before on on of the threads.  Fantastic.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2020, 08:39 pm »
That is a killer setup!  I've seen your system before on on of the threads.  Fantastic.

Thank you! There are definitely worse places to be stuck during the pandemic!

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 24 Mar 2020, 11:24 pm »
The Salk HT2-TL really like REL subs too. My 100 Hz - 25Hz in room measurements with the Radio Shack 33-2050 (correction table applied) using a 1 KHz - 75 dB test tone are between 77.1 dB and 81.9 dB.
The REL Gibraltar G2 has a hand held remote for adjustments on the fly, very handy for quite a few modern and pop recordings that really boost the bass. Integration is seamless with the crossover set at 32 Hz. Well integrated subs add more than low notes, they add space and the ability to hear deep into the music.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #19 on: 25 Mar 2020, 04:14 am »
No Salks, but respect them.  I purchased a pair of Von Schweikert towers in 1997.  They are still my main system speakers.  Love them.  Have considered replacing them over the years, have listened to many potential upgrades, but in the end, I always come back to them.  Good chance I will keep them to my end.