NX-Treme testing is getting real over here now.

Danny Richie

NX-Treme testing is getting real over here now.
« on: 1 Sep 2016, 02:12 pm »
Oh my goodness, this thing is good.

Captainhemo

Re: NX-Treme testing is getting real over here now.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2016, 03:50 pm »
Cool to see them all loaded up with drivers  8)
The pair here is still naked  ..... hopeully to change soon   !!

jay

DeeJayBump

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2016, 07:05 pm »
Looking forward to sonic impressions of these once you have it wrapped up.

Will these be 2 x M165NQ per side as pictured above or 4 x M165NQ as mentioned in the intro thread?

Just curious.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2016, 07:08 pm »
Looking forward to sonic impressions of these once you have it wrapped up.

Will these be 2 x M165NQ per side as pictured above or 4 x M165NQ as mentioned in the intro thread?

Just curious.

I tried four, but two worked out much better.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2016, 07:13 pm »
Thanks, Danny.

Any idea if you will be @ RMAF this year with either these or the Oticas?

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2016, 07:32 pm »
Thanks, Danny.

Any idea if you will be @ RMAF this year with either these or the Oticas?

I'm not planing on it.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2016, 07:49 pm »
Are these open-baffled Danny?

Captainhemo

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2016, 07:57 pm »
Are these open-baffled Danny?

I can answer that one Hugh,  they are indeed  OB

jay

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2016, 08:04 pm »
Thanks Jay.  :)

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2016, 08:11 pm »
I tried four, but two worked out much better.

Why is that?

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2016, 08:32 pm »
Why is that?

Mike

Time arrival wasn't so good with four of them. And it caused an un-correctable phase shift.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2016, 09:02 pm »
Would that hold true for an MMTMM version as well?

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2016, 10:02 pm »
Would that hold true for an MMTMM version as well?

Mike

Using four of them was a MMTMM center section.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2016, 10:34 pm »
Using four of them was a MMTMM center section.

What I was wondering was if the issues you saw and heard were the result of all the drivers interacting and the crossover frequency used for the center section and, would the results be different if the only drivers playing were the five MMTMM (all NQ's) and they were allowed to play lower like you did with the MTM section.

Mike

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #14 on: 1 Sep 2016, 11:42 pm »
Danny, seeing as this thread is kind of about excess...  :icon_twisted:

I know that at least one of the pairs of NX-otica were built with M165X drivers in the lower section instead of the M165.  What I was wondering is if there would be some advantage to running NQ's across the board, with the lower (or upper and lower) most four (or eight) NQ's crossed over as 'woofers' leaving only an MTM for the mids, like the M165 are now.  You mentioned in testing the NX-Treme that running four of the NQ's for the mid drivers didn't work out well, but I'm wondering if NQ's crossed low in place of the M165 would take it up a notch?

I know that doing this wouldn't be cheap (that's a lot of NQ drivers!), and there is always a point of diminishing returns, but for someone chasing after that last 1%???

Aside, does this mean you are still padding down the MTM section when only using four M165 in the NX-otica, that there is still some efficiency left in the tank to keep up with four more woofers?  Don't the M165 in the NX-Treme start playing like a line source as far as output while the MTM are still running like a point source?

(I'm also glad to see you switched to painters tape instead of duct tape this time; should make cleaning the glue residue off to prep for final finishing much easier  :thumb:)

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2016, 02:04 am »
What I was wondering was if the issues you saw and heard were the result of all the drivers interacting and the crossover frequency used for the center section and, would the results be different if the only drivers playing were the five MMTMM (all NQ's) and they were allowed to play lower like you did with the MTM section.

Mike

The results had nothing to do with the added woofers up top and below. The upper and lower mids were just too far away from the tweeter for the crossover point. If I could have crossed to them at 800Hz or less then it might have worked out.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 2 Sep 2016, 02:28 am »
The results had nothing to do with the added woofers up top and below. The upper and lower mids were just too far away from the tweeter for the crossover point. If I could have crossed to them at 800Hz or less then it might have worked out.

OK I understand.

So are the NX-Tremes going to be able to take advantage of the high sensitivity Serenity drivers or are you going to have to damp them down like the NX-Oticas?

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 2 Sep 2016, 02:32 am »
Danny, seeing as this thread is kind of about excess...  :icon_twisted:

I know that at least one of the pairs of NX-otica were built with M165X drivers in the lower section instead of the M165.  What I was wondering is if there would be some advantage to running NQ's across the board, with the lower (or upper and lower) most four (or eight) NQ's crossed over as 'woofers' leaving only an MTM for the mids, like the M165 are now.  You mentioned in testing the NX-Treme that running four of the NQ's for the mid drivers didn't work out well, but I'm wondering if NQ's crossed low in place of the M165 would take it up a notch?

Considering they aren't allowed to play up very high in this application I don't think there would be much to gain.

I know that doing this wouldn't be cheap (that's a lot of NQ drivers!), and there is always a point of diminishing returns, but for someone chasing after that last 1%???

Yeah, that would get expensive.

Aside, does this mean you are still padding down the MTM section when only using four M165 in the NX-otica, that there is still some efficiency left in the tank to keep up with four more woofers?

There are no resistor in the signal path on this speaker. I shited over to the 16 ohm woofers and ran then on four groups of two. So the output levels stayed the same as the four 8 ohm woofers in the NX-Otica. 

Don't the M165 in the NX-Treme start playing like a line source as far as output while the MTM are still running like a point source?

Not really. The play in a range that is so low they are already somewhat omni.

(I'm also glad to see you switched to painters tape instead of duct tape this time; should make cleaning the glue residue off to prep for final finishing much easier  :thumb:)

Yeah, I learned that one from the last time.

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 2 Sep 2016, 02:34 am »
OK I understand.

So are the NX-Tremes going to be able to take advantage of the high sensitivity Serenity drivers or are you going to have to damp them down like the NX-Oticas?

Mike

The higher sensitivity version of the Neo 3's used with the Serenity models can be used in this design with no resistor inline with it. Also my new Neo 3 that I have had made (samples in hand) is a drop in replacement for the custom Neo 3 with no crossover changes.  :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 2 Sep 2016, 02:42 am »
The higher sensitivity version of the Neo 3's used with the Serenity models can be used in this design with no resistor inline with it. Also my new Neo 3 that I have had made (samples in hand) is a drop in replacement for the custom Neo 3 with no crossover changes.  :thumb:

That's good. Are you saying your new drivers are higher sensitivity than the old Neo 3 PDR's? Wow!!

Mike