M3 Sapphires or M5 Sapphires with a Rythmik F12G sub

skonger

Re: M3 Sapphires or M5 Sapphires with a Rythmik F12G sub
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2020, 01:49 am »
Given that the m3 only goes to 32 (same as m5), does anyone know how much less bass the m5 sapphire has? Do you really need a sub or would have used a sub anyway to get those really low frequencies <32? I like the look of the m5 much more, size, as well as the fact that it is an 8 ohm speaker which marry better with my monoblocks, but my room is 30x18x8 and the speakers would be in the center of the long wall. I'm concerned that I'll get the m5s and I'll be thinking the bass is weak. I'm willing to EQ to make up the difference if that would help. Thinking about using some sort of room DSP as well like DIRAC for the low frequencies. I use DSP for my desktop system and it truly gives me flat response (Sonarwave). Thanks.

sockpit

« Reply #21 on: 12 Nov 2020, 04:03 am »
I have M5s in small office.  Imho, given your room size, I’d definitely go with the double
woofer on the M3s.   But you should discuss with Clayton, too!

Rosswell105

« Reply #22 on: 13 Nov 2020, 01:45 pm »
My room is about 28x15x8 and I have M5s 3 ft in front of the long wall. I seat about 8 ft from the speakers and I don’t find the bass lacking. I happened to have a sub and I do use it with M5s. M5s do go down to about 32 and with the sub it goes to about 26-28 Hz. I added another matching sub but frankly I don’t hear the difference between one and two subs. Whether you go with M3 or M5 depends how you placed the speakers and where you do most of listening.

skonger

« Reply #23 on: 18 Nov 2020, 01:43 am »
Thanks. What's the sub you use and did you have it centered when you only had 1? Clayton said to go with the M3s, but the size is a bit big for WAF. What's the depth of the M5 (the base)?

Don_S

« Reply #24 on: 18 Nov 2020, 02:08 am »
Thanks. What's the sub you use and did you have it centered when you only had 1? Clayton said to go with the M3s, but the size is a bit big for WAF. What's the depth of the M5 (the base)?

17" from the baffle front to the rear of the base. That is the total depth for an M5 Sapphire.

Rosswell105

« Reply #25 on: 20 Nov 2020, 05:05 pm »

Not centered but between the two speakers. I have Totem acoustic storms paired with M5s. Not big and not the best for HT but musical and blend in well with M5. I have a SVS sub for HT application. Another sub I recommend is a Rel.