Woodstock 50 various box sets... Complete, 3CD, 10 CD, 5LP...

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
So the Woodstock 50th anniversary ALL the music is being released. The big one, with 38 CDs.. $800. 432 songs reported to be on the big set?
Then there is a jam packed ten disc box. There is a five LP set. but I am not interested in it much.

The ten CD set, with all the artists (apparently in sequence of when they played) on approx 80 minutes a pop each CD. So a LOT of music for the $150 retail. The 10 CD set has a total of 162 songs just to compare (Amazon is at $114 for the 10 CD set) From the reviews, seems the 3CD set is really great sounding, but lots of complaints Hendrix is left off. So I am assuming the 10 CD set has the same better than expected sound.

I caved in and just ordered the 10 CD set on Amazon. How can I resist thirteen hours of music from Woodstock???

rpf

Interesting Elizabeth, thank you.

I already have the 6 CD 40th Anniversary box set but there's enough different music that I want to hear on the 10 CD 50th Anniversary set that I felt it worthwhile to order it. The Limited Numbered Edition Complete 38 CD set is already sold out. Too expensive anyway ($21/disc?).

I do have mixed feelings about ordering any new set. I've listened sparingly to the earlier one: doing so often makes me feel old as I was there.

OzarkTom

Three-Day Woodstock Festival From Original Organizer Coming This Summer

https://www.woodstock.com/

jriggy

Three-Day Woodstock Festival From Original Organizer Coming This Summer

https://www.woodstock.com/

This is a big fat MAYBE.... There’s a whole summer of news articles to catch up on about one trouble after another. Currently most artists have dropped out and the new back-up venue of Meriweather Post pavilion has no permit submitted as of a couple days ago. free event or not, ya gotta have a line-up and a permit -lol.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Meriweather Post Pavilion is hardy a suitable site.   It's kinda small, and some groups have dropped out BECAUSE of the new "location."

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Just read The concert Woodstock 50 is officially, totally dead... like really really not gonna happen dead.
The producers are telling the artists who have already been paid to donate the money to a good cause If they want too.

jriggy

Lang talks to RollingStone less than an hour after it’s official cancelation:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/woodstock-50-michael-lang-interview-865861/

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  I was at Woodstock in 1969. No one can do what we had. The best of the best Rock Stars, great loving caring people, no fights, no BS just LOVE baby.  Lots of rain and no hassles except bad LSD.  Everyone helped each other out for FREE.
 Today ain't gonna happen. Different time, different people too bad. Besides at 68 years young it would be Senor Day at the concert.

charles

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
deleted

rpf

The new remasterings are a huge improvement over the old issues.

WGH

NY Times has a bunch of fun Woodstock interviews:

How Santana Hallucinated Through One of Woodstock’s Best Sets (His Own)
High on mescaline he got from Jerry Garcia, “I asked, over and over, ‘Just help me stay in tune and on time.’”
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/06/arts/music/santana-woodstock.html

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Last night, American Experience on PBS broadcast the film ‘Woodstock Three Days that Defined a Generation’. The film was mostly about the organizing of the event and focused on the audience with brief snippets of the actual festival music as a background for the voiceover narration.

The odd thing was that about 3/4th of the way into the film they played the Velvet Underground’s ‘Sunday Morning’ and I said “hunh?

Did I miss something? The Velvets played Woodstock?

rpf

Re: Woodstock 50 various box sets... Complete, 3CD, 10 CD, 5LP...
« Reply #13 on: 10 Aug 2019, 11:37 pm »
Last night, American Experience on PBS broadcast the film ‘Woodstock Three Days that Defined a Generation’. The film was mostly about the organizing of the event and focused on the audience with brief snippets of the actual festival music as a background for the voiceover narration.

The odd thing was that about 3/4th of the way into the film they played the Velvet Underground’s ‘Sunday Morning’ and I said “hunh?

No.

PSB Guy

Re: Woodstock 50 various box sets... Complete, 3CD, 10 CD, 5LP...
« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2019, 03:18 pm »

They also played some of Thunderclap Newman's "Something In The Air" at one point. I know they were just trying to emphasize a theme, but it's misleading to those who my not know much about the event.

Cornelis