johnnypaddock

« on: 15 May 2018, 12:18 pm »
Good morning. I just came across Audio Circle while looking at websites for advice on gear upgrades, buying/selling, etc... I'm a long time forum member at Steve Hoffman Forum with the same username. Looking forward to checking this place out.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2018, 12:24 pm »
Welcome.  :beer:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2018, 12:32 pm »
Welcome to AC!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2018, 03:26 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Johnny   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2018, 08:47 pm »
Welcome aboard Johnny :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2018, 10:34 pm »
Another Welcome!

After 3 posts you'll be able to PM and participate in the Trading Circle.

So tell us more about yourself, your current system, and what you're looking for.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2018, 11:05 pm »
Welcome to the sweet spot. We love spending other people's money  :icon_twisted:

johnnypaddock

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2018, 01:56 am »
Thanks for the welcome messages, everyone.

Some information on myself... I've been a music fan all of my life and ended up getting into audio gear upgrades maybe about 10 years ago. I started with an old Micro-Seiki turntable bought used from a guy on Craigslist and never looked back.

Recently, I made a decision to sell my entire vinyl collection. I had been thinking about doing it for a few years, not because I didn't enjoy listening to records, but because I realized that I was spending too much time acquiring "best" pressings, cleaning records and selling records in order to buy more. I enjoy my digital setup a lot, and I feel that getting out of vinyl actually just simplified things for me.

My current setup: Mac Mini / JRiver 24 > Benchmark DAC2 HGC > Line Magnetic 216ia > Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (NRT)

While I've enjoyed the Sierra Towers, I wanted to finally try something different. I used the money from selling my vinyl collection to order some Audio Note AN/E-LX HE speakers and an Audio Note P1 Signature amp. I'd like to see if this is a significant upgrade, and go from there. Hopefully it sounds great, but we'll see. I've always wanted to try a low power amp / high efficiency speaker setup.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2018, 10:47 am »
Thanks for the feedback.

Have only heard AN speakers once, at an audio show, not an ideal setting by any means.  Wasn't impressed, but my guess is that initial impressions isn't what AN is about.  AN is hard to shop for in the U.S. with so few dealers, so many models, and few written reviews. So please let us know how you like them.  Do you know if AN does any balanced design gear (am a big fan)?

The LM 216 and Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers should be nice stuff (about 15 years ago bought the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's and still love them in my low priority A/V system).  Got out of vinyl 35 years ago after literally dropping my nice turntable, but never could tolerate surface noise.  Since then Michigan has not been a good place to shop for vinyl.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2018, 08:00 pm »
Welcome.

johnnypaddock

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2018, 12:47 am »
Thanks for the feedback.

Have only heard AN speakers once, at an audio show, not an ideal setting by any means.  Wasn't impressed, but my guess is that initial impressions isn't what AN is about.  AN is hard to shop for in the U.S. with so few dealers, so many models, and few written reviews. So please let us know how you like them.  Do you know if AN does any balanced design gear (am a big fan)?

The LM 216 and Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers should be nice stuff (about 15 years ago bought the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's and still love them in my low priority A/V system).  Got out of vinyl 35 years ago after literally dropping my nice turntable, but never could tolerate surface noise.  Since then Michigan has not been a good place to shop for vinyl.

Tough break on dropping the turntable!! That sounds terrible.

The reason I went with the AN speakers is mostly due to room placement. My room is about 11' wide and very long front to back, but there's a doorway to the left about 2' in front of the speakers, so I can't really pull them out from the wall or away from the side walls too far. Supposedly the AN's will sound best when positioned near a wall, or ideally back into a corner. I have no way of knowing whether I'll like the sound however, until they arrive and I have time to break them in. I'll be happy to post my thoughts once they arrive, although apparently it's going to take a few months for them to get here.

I do believe that AN makes an amp with balanced inputs, but it's one of the extremely high end models... Way out of my price range. I'm a fan of balanced equipment as well.

If I decide not to keep the AN system, I think I'll order a new pair of Sierra Towers with the RAAL tweeter upgrade, and upgrade my amp to a higher end Line Magnetic. I'm interested in seeing how it all goes.

JakeJ

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2018, 11:47 am »
Hello and welcome to AC, johnnypaddock.