RMAF 2015 Pez and Tyson Coverage Day 3

Geardaddy

Re: RMAF 2015 Pez and Tyson Coverage Day 3
« Reply #60 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:34 pm »

Vapor Audio Room

I am loving the picture of Tyson next to Vapor’s Perfect Storm. We have watched Vapor’s evolution on AC and this picture really drives home just how B I G a speaker is going to get when one uses 15” class woofers while also delivering high efficiency and deep bass.

I also find it interesting comparing the photos here (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/RMAF_2015/day2/) and those in P&T’s coverage. Specifically when LaFeaver with enjoythemusic.com dropped by tube mono-blocks were in use and when Pez and Tyson heard the system some of the photos have the tube amps and others show a Jeff Roland Design Group stereo amp in the rack. That is what I love about stepping up to big woofers in big boxes, they work with both tube and solid-state amps. It could be a horses-for-courses thing or we could admit that some of us like different flavors. Jason wrote “Note: we visited this room over two days and they made significant equipment changes FYI”. I would be curious to know if the superlative filled descriptions of the guys’ standard tracks referred to the system with tube or solid-state amps?

Here is one possible answer from a Rowland devotee on Audiogon:

10-04-15: Mattnshilp
I'll post a seperate post on my Rowland trip. Wow.

Show is winding down. Day 3 is always quieter.

Some quick thoughts:

The Vapor room lost its amp late yesterday (the Lampy amp died for whatever reason) and since Rowland was on the same floor they were asked and Jeff graciously provided a brand new 625 S2. It was a revolutionary improvement in the system. Today, the room was awesome. They also hooked up their Nimbus White in a different room either last neither or today and I got to hear that as well. What I learned is that they are serious players and make some good damn speakers. I have now heard both the Vapor and the similarly designed Salk and I think I prefer the Vapor, although I still haven't heard the Joule, which is the model I would have the most interest in.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1398132150&openflup&2569&4#2569

I have never been a Rowland fan (although I have not heard the latest generation tbh).  I personally would love to hear the 211 monos on a speaker that was copacetic (like a big horn).  I know that is Lampizator Lucas' bias.....

Pez

« Reply #61 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:45 pm »
Norman- re: JTR they got numerous noise complaints and were even threatened to have their power shut off. Didn't seem to phase them one bit. They BLASTED music with reckless abandon.  As far as my comments I'm confident that what I was hearing was quality. We ended at 118 db and 129 peak but we started much lower than that.

jriggy

« Reply #62 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:47 pm »
Pez and Tyson,

You seemed to have a nice streamlined approach this year, as compared to the past few years (I have only been around here to virtually witness four, I think). Seemed slimed down instead of franticly commenting on tons of rooms. Feels like you guys were more relaxed, in turn had some good, useful and mainly positive things to say. Very much enjoyed!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #63 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:55 pm »
I have never been a Rowland fan (although I have not heard the latest generation tbh).  I personally would love to hear the 211 monos on a speaker that was copacetic (like a big horn).  I know that is Lampizator Lucas' bias.....

The Lampi amps didn't die, we just decided to try something different for the final day.  And with Jeff Rowland being right down the hall, and having that huge static display of amplifiers, we gave it a shot.  He was quite the gentleman, and ended up spending a couple hours in our room with a big grin on his face. 

They both had their strengths, neither necessarily had weaknesses.  I really enjoyed the opportunity to get to know how they performed with the tubes, and then in the same setting try a top-tier solid state amp.  That's something we've never tried at a show before. 

standub

« Reply #64 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:57 pm »
The problem with JTR (at the show, there really isn't a problem with the speakers) is that half the appeal of them is the ability to crank it and not start sounding like poo.  Thus they wanted to show that off.  I do feel bad for Elac though, stuck between JTR with 2 18" subs and Vapor with their 2 15" woofers, couldn't have been fun.

standub

« Reply #65 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:58 pm »
The Lampi amps didn't die, we just decided to try something different for the final day.  And with Jeff Rowland being right down the hall, and having that huge static display of amplifiers, we gave it a shot.  He was quite the gentleman, and ended up spending a couple hours in our room with a big grin on his face. 

They both had their strengths, neither necessarily had weaknesses.  I really enjoyed the opportunity to get to know how they performed with the tubes, and then in the same setting try a top-tier solid state amp.  That's something we've never tried at a show before.

I liked both amps, and yeah they just come down to do you want SS or Tube.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #66 on: 6 Oct 2015, 12:39 am »
FYI the Elac room was using $13,000 worth of Shunyata line conditioning.  This is twice as much as all the other gear in the room. 

Check out this review for an idea of how effective these things can be:  http://www.audiostream.com/content/shunyata-research-hydra-triton-v2-hydra-typhon-hydra-dpc-6-v2-and-%CE%BEtron%E2%84%A2-%CF%83-sigma-ac-power#xiIsmGSF0xeLPSZB.97

Its no wonder the speakers did so well.  Not to say they are not the best speaker at their price ever or whatever.......However, how many people buy $600 speakers who have $13,000 worth of the latest line conditioning?  I would say none.  Also that is some serious snake power cord in the pic that is going to the power supply to the preamp/DAC.  Is it Shunyata?  How about the one to the amp.....There maybe thousands of dollars more here in cords.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #67 on: 6 Oct 2015, 12:45 am »
FYI the Elac room was using $13,000 worth of Shunyata line conditioning.  This is twice as much as all the other gear in the room. 

Check out this review for an idea of how effective these things can be:  http://www.audiostream.com/content/shunyata-research-hydra-triton-v2-hydra-typhon-hydra-dpc-6-v2-and-%CE%BEtron%E2%84%A2-%CF%83-sigma-ac-power#xiIsmGSF0xeLPSZB.97

Its no wonder the speakers did so well.  Not to say they are not the best speaker at their price ever or whatever.......However, how many people buy $600 speakers who have $13,000 worth of the latest line conditioning?  I would say none.  Also that is some serious snake power cord in the pic that is going to the power supply to the preamp/DAC.  Is it Shunyata?  How about the one to the amp.....There maybe thousands of dollars more here in cords.

That's interesting, didn't know there was Shunyata stuff in there. I actually thought this setup didn't sound as good as the bookshelves and Bel Canto integrated Andrew had at Newport but there was certainly plenty of people constantly trying to get in to hear.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #68 on: 6 Oct 2015, 01:52 am »
Norman- re: JTR they got numerous noise complaints and were even threatened to have their power shut off. Didn't seem to phase them one bit. They BLASTED music with reckless abandon.  As far as my comments I'm confident that what I was hearing was quality. We ended at 118 db and 129 peak but we started much lower than that.
I'm often asked if the Maraschinos can go "as loud as the big Cherries".  The answer is "close" as proven by this room.  Of course, 95dB speakers help!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #69 on: 6 Oct 2015, 02:58 am »
Hey guys. Spoke to Joe today and let him know about the comments about the Purity Audio Design/Daedalus room and we both wanted to say thanks. It was a great show for us this year despite the lower than normal attendance.
Thanks again for the great coverage of the show. RMAF has always been my favorite venue and if I can't be there, it good to know I can see and read about all the great systems.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #70 on: 6 Oct 2015, 03:09 am »
I am intrigued by these amps.  I am a fan of OTL designs (minus the heat and hassle of course).  In the past, the Berning stuff always came off as a tad dry or thin compared to Joule Electra (my historical fav).  I am wondering what these new amps will sound like?  I noticed they are class AB and to class A like the headphone amp.  I am wondering if we can convince linear to do a 845 or 211 class A version???

The amp(s) you heard previously may not have been ZOTL designs. Dave's newest designs are better than his early amplifiers, including the first  ZOTLs. Besides the PP 845 amps someone mentioned, he has available (at a more reasonable cost) a SET class A 845 amp, and a SET class A 300b. They aren't on the website.

standub

« Reply #71 on: 6 Oct 2015, 03:12 am »

I agree with this.  However i'm going to bet at home you wouldn't need so much conditioning to get the same sound, the power fluctuations at the hotel are horrible when the show is going on.

ACHiPo

« Reply #72 on: 6 Oct 2015, 03:55 am »

I noticed that as well.  Seems pretty strange, but hey, they certainly got many kudos for great sounding, sub-$1k speakers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #73 on: 6 Oct 2015, 11:36 am »
Hey guys thanks for the great coverage and pictures, really enjoyed reading this thread! :thumb:

Berning already had/has a design for one: davidberning.com/products/zh_211_845.  They were distributed by www.rbhifi1.com and were only 75K a pair! :lol:
Worth mention the ZOTL 211/845 price was
PRICE 73,500 USD per monaural pair
at the release date.
http://davidberning.com/images/211_845/Berning_ZH_211_845_ZOTL_HiFiOne_pr.pdf

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #74 on: 6 Oct 2015, 01:20 pm »
Here is one possible answer from a Rowland devotee on Audiogon:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1398132150&openflup&2569&4#2569

I heard both amps in the PS setup and preferred the Lampi amps. When I walked in Sunday before noticing the 211 amps were missing I thought what happened to the sound stage? Seemed to me it shrank and overall was less impactful and more laid back with the Rowland.

fsimms

« Reply #75 on: 6 Oct 2015, 05:56 pm »
Thanks again guys for another wonderful year of coverage. :thumb:
As others have said, it is almost as good as being there.  I will sure miss you guys. :bawl:

Bob

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #76 on: 7 Oct 2015, 03:41 am »
Another review said the Vapor room was easily one of the best five, but the report also said Vapor was using over $42k worth of room treatments in their room. :o

I talked a lot with Bart, who supplied the treatment.  The correction is small in percent, but he said it was "$45k."  He also said his all-new coming series gets you about 75% of the performance for $10k, and you can start at $1k and build up.  Very sorry a technical difficulty in the room caused me to miss this demo when I arrived.  I'll make sure to hear it next hear.

I am excruciatingly sad to have just read this is our two heroes' last stand, their last RMAF show coverage.