Putting together a small system - amplification suggestions welcomed

Big Red Machine

I really struggled on which circle was best suited for this thread. Moderators; move as needed.

I grabbed a used Modwright SWL 9.0 tubed preamp from our site here as a start.

I have a pair of Salk HT1's I also grabbed from here last year.

I was not planning on adding a separate dac for now but maybe just run XM radio to it for casual listening. I haven't broached the subject of plopping this in the living room yet with the SO.  :nono:

I am looking to add just enough power to get some nice listening level from the HT1's. So my normal, more is better, is tamped down right now.

I'd like to buy a used or new amp(s) under $2k.

My warped mind is going around and around with my 30+ amps owned over the years and experience with all the topologies out there: A, AB, D, T, tubes, hybrids

Since I will have a tubed preamp, I was honing in on a SS amp but I am open to tubes.

I sold my Luxman M800a last year and went from Class A to D with the VTV in the serious room. So I am tripping up some on going down the same D path even though implementations vary greatly.

Presently no A or AB amps in the house, nor tubed.

I am interested in A and some of the implementations of AB, like Schiit has to offer.

Brands I have considered include Schiit, D Sonic, Rogue tubed, Rogue hybrid, Prima Luna tubed, Audio Research D's, NuForce,

What suggestion do you have for mating between the MW and the Salks?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
How about an AB from Neurochrome since you already have the Class D? 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
First Watt would be my choice unless you could find a used Pass in your price range.

groovybassist

How about an AB from Neurochrome since you already have the Class D?

I’ll second the Neurochrome recommendation - great amps.  There’s a brand new, Tom Christiansen built Mod-286 listed on A’gon right now.

Big Red Machine

I’ll second the Neurochrome recommendation - great amps.  There’s a brand new, Tom Christiansen built Mod-286 listed on A’gon right now.

Saw it. Not sure this design has enough legs. :scratch:

groovybassist

Saw it. Not sure this design has enough legs. :scratch:

The HT1 does seem to be pretty low sensitivity, but 8ohm impedance may counteract that.  Guess it depends on how much volume you’re looking for in your space.  Tom is very responsive and a straight shooter - might be worth reaching out to him for his take on the match to your needs.

WGH

I'll have to risk stating the obvious choice - AVA Vision Set 120 for $899 or the Set 400 with economy black faceplate for $1999. The Set lineup are a lot more refined than the previous AVA amps you have tried, I like them better than the Fet Valve 400R/600R I have heard in my system. For long term listening I like the Set 400 better than the $5998 PS Audio Stellar M1200 monoblock amps and the Odyssey Kismet.

I have a feeling a Set 120 with a couple pair of Hapa Quiencence S (Silver) IC's would make you a happy camper. The AVA/Hapa/Salk combo works very, very well together.

I.Greyhound Fan

I agree with WGH.  Get an AVA SET 400.  I reviewed it and it gave my Pass X250 a run for the money.  Frank has a 30 day money back guaranty so there is no risk and no restocking fee.  If you want a fancy chassis then look elsewhere.  It has 200 wpc at 8 ohms and probably double at 4 ohms.  It has a fabulous midrange, great bass and high frequencies without sounding harsh.

Frank has a pair of Salk HT3's and they sound great with his gear.  I have heard them many times.  There is very good synergy.  Salk use to use Franks gear at shows.

The SET 120 is 60 wpc at 8 ohms and has plenty of current and should be able to drive 84db 8 ohm speakers well.  But I prefer more power and headroom of higher powered amps like the SET400.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Jim Salk actually owns one of our SET 120 Control Amps (same as the basic SET 120 power amp with passive input section added).

Why not just ask him if our SET 120 would be a good match for your speakers?

Frank

Buena1

Hello, I am in a similar situation. I have the Modwright 9.0 Anniv. Ed. Preamp but Wharfedale Lintons as speakers. Have used a MC152 as amp which worked well but looking for something different to set up asexomd system because that preamp sounds so good I dont want to part with it! I apologize if I have crossed any lines with this post as I am new to this.
Buena1