Records to Die For 2020

jhm731

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Records to Die For 2020
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2020, 06:40 am »
Thank you for the link!

I must be getting old. My first reaction or thought to the introduction was, “He woke up at 3 am and didn’t go straight to the bathroom!?!”  :lol: Kidding aside, I’ll take notes on the choices and give them a listen.

Michael

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2020, 06:47 am »
Page 6 rec of Marion Rampal "Bye Bye Berlin" is really good.  In a cabaret/Tom Waits/post modern way. 

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2020, 06:05 pm »
I believe 3 am is the witching hour.
  I wouldn't risk life or limb for any of these albums. In-a-godda-da-vida by Iron Butterfly, I know I could re-purchase easily.

However put in the context of having my music collection stolen or destroyed by fire that's a different story.
What value do I put on my collection? It would be in the $1000's of dollars and not easily replaced. In fact it's the whole point of having a hi-fi stereo. I mean you can replace a stereo even with lesser components but being without music you enjoy what would be the point? :smoke:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2020, 07:40 pm »
The physical record is not the music. It carries the music in an easy to replace form.
So I have no special need to worry about 'losing' the music. (aside from total nuclear destruction)
Sure I like the records and CDs I own. But I can throw them out too.... :thumb:

Speaking of records to die for.....
Since I got my Magnepan 20.7s dialed in/broken in.. I have a whole NEW set of 'best music;. Mostly different than what I used to favor.
All due to the spectacularly better sound.
Some prerecorded music really sounds better ... far better than before. and sadly, some has the same veiled* muffled** sound it used to. And some have revealed they suck in ways I never imagined!
* ** are recordings that used to sound great. but compared to the new revelations of my system, now, in comparison, sound muffled and veiled compared to some other recordings, which show way more than I ever thought possible. (And SOME of those better include old recordings from the 1940; 50's 60's...)
If I chose one artist to represent this.. It would be Ani DiFranco on the plus side. And Tori Amos on the bad side. (Like some fool added reverb or some sort of craptastic manipulation to Tori's voice in a really poor way... Gawd awful IMO. Where Ani sounds like she is in my living room...
Pre-20.7 I like Tori, and had little use for Ani. Post 20.7 the reverse.

Tyson

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2020, 08:01 pm »
These types of list are great if you have Qobuz or Tidal (I like Qobuz better).  Since the above list came out, I've also been able to check this one out, and it's very good:

jhm731

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2020, 08:42 pm »
The Stereophile staff has been publishing these lists since 1993:

https://www.stereophile.com/category/records-die

Elizabeth

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2020, 09:51 pm »
I have read Stereophile since the early 80's.. and the records to die for list? I have never bought a single record due to it being praised in Stereophile.   
Sad, isn't it???  :thumb:

jhm731

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2020, 11:59 pm »
I have read Stereophile since the early 80's.. and the records to die for list? I have never bought a single record due to it being praised in Stereophile.   
Sad, isn't it???  :thumb:

Amazing.....just like I have never bought a single Ani DiFranco record. ;-)

Elizabeth

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2020, 11:30 pm »
I seriously have to confess I own every Ani DiFranco album.. And every one was bought (about ten years ago) at Half Price books from the bottom $1 bins.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
One nice thing was my local library woud take off the original Jewel Cases.. and sell them for a dime each via their bookseller. I bought about 2000 of them... maybe 3000..?? Anyway, every used CD I bought got a brand new ten cent jewel case.

Tyson

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2020, 11:32 pm »
I seriously have to confess I own every Ani DiFranco album.. And every one was bought (about ten years ago) at Half Price books from the bottom $1 bins.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
One nice thing was my local library woud take off the original Jewel Cases.. and sell them for a dime each via their bookseller. I bought about 2000 of them... maybe 3000..?? Anyway, every used CD I bought got a brand new ten cent jewel case.

I agree - Ani's music and recordings are amazing.  But it's definitely not for those that get their feelings hurt easily, lol.

jhm731

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2020, 01:17 am »

I've never listened to any of her albums.

Do you own all the Official  Bootlegs: https://righteousbabe.com/collections/ani-difranco?

She's going to be at the Blue Note Hawaii in Honolulu on April 2.

Maybe I'll go over to Oahu for the show.