Solid core vs Stranded as internal speaker wire

Emil

Solid core vs Stranded as internal speaker wire
« on: 17 May 2018, 11:41 am »
Hi Jeff

i know its all system dependent but can you give a generalized sonic description of each? Why someone would use one over the other?

I'm looking to internally rewire my horn speakers midrange and tweeter with either the the Jupiter or the Neotech. ( open to other suggestions, of course) I currently have them internally wired with tinned stranded Supra cables.

Every since I began streaming Tidal, I'm noticing a bit of an "edge" in the sound and looking to smooth things out.

lokie

Re: Solid core vs Stranded as internal speaker wire
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2018, 12:54 pm »
I have been using Neotech stranded copper internally and Supra externally. I am generally happy but have a bit of audiophile nervosa and thinking about giving some solid core a go. Not sure about the external... I have a 15' run, so not as easy to experiment.

Also thinking about silver solid core on the high end side of the xover and tweeters. 

Anyone have suggestions for proper AWG?

fredgarvin

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2018, 02:56 pm »
I wired my Quartets with belden 9497, which is tinned stranded copper in a twisted configuration. I also use it as speaker cable. It was an audible improvement, more relaxed slighlty better image. It is recommended by Shindo.

Emil

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2018, 03:43 pm »
I wired my Quartets with belden 9497, which is tinned stranded copper in a twisted configuration. I also use it as speaker cable. It was an audible improvement, more relaxed slighlty better image. It is recommended by Shindo.

Really? For bass, midrange and tweeter? All the same gauge?

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2018, 05:23 pm »
Anyone who has not tried solid core should definitely give it a go. Definitely has its plusses. And doesn't have to be just one strand. A couple strands e.g. 2x20awg or 18awgx24awg, etc. will suffice. Or try PlanetDave's suggestion of very small gauge (24awg), which has interesting qualities as well. All worth exploring. Haven't used it for a while, but the focus and coherence of solid core can be addictive.

fredgarvin

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2018, 05:59 pm »
Really? For bass, midrange and tweeter? All the same gauge?
Yes, although I don't know if the improvement was from the speaker cable change itself or the internal hookups.

OSIB16

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2018, 06:44 pm »
Martin Colloms of HiFi News magazine personally recommends 22 GAUGE Solid Core for wiring tweeters. Treble prefers solid core, whereas Bass likes stranded.

Emil

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2018, 07:00 pm »
Martin Colloms of HiFi News magazine personally recommends 22 GAUGE Solid Core for wiring tweeters. Treble prefers solid core, whereas Bass likes stranded.

any mention of the midrange?

OSIB16

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2018, 10:01 pm »
Jeff knows the answer to that question. Apparently you need to use solid core for the Midrange. Not sure about the gauge though. Stranded is not the best option for midrange. Ask Jeff

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2018, 01:13 am »
Hi Jeff

i know its all system dependent but can you give a generalized sonic description of each? Why someone would use one over the other?

I'm looking to internally rewire my horn speakers midrange and tweeter with either the the Jupiter or the Neotech. ( open to other suggestions, of course) I currently have them internally wired with tinned stranded Supra cables.

Every since I began streaming Tidal, I'm noticing a bit of an "edge" in the sound and looking to smooth things out.

That tin plated wire is generally warm.  This is probably best handled in another place.  However, if I could only address it with wire on the tweet and mid, I would use solid 18ga Jupiter to both.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2018, 01:20 am »
22-24ga for tweeters above 3k is common.  Ideal is 23ga, but that is not a common size.  Our 23ga UPOCC Silver is a custom order.  That tweeter will not know too much difference between 22 or 24 :wink: :icon_lol:

That is if all else is right.  However, most are attempting to move the pimple one way or another.  While the wire will generally not solve the issue, it can help move things in the right direction.

wushuliu

« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2018, 02:55 am »
I’m fan of the Jupiter wire Jeff sells.

lokie

« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2018, 10:22 am »
That is if all else is right.  However, most are attempting to move the pimple one way or another.  While the wire will generally not solve the issue, it can help move things in the right direction.
Care to elaborate?

Emil

« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2018, 01:02 pm »
Is it critical that all lengths of internal wire be of the same length? Speaker wire should be so I'm assuming yes?

Studio19atx

« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2018, 04:57 pm »
I did not believe in audio cables until I saw a huge difference (for good or bad) when I paired the 803S with AudioQuest CV-8 the bass magically came back, with other cables the bass was almost non-existent.

I have used kimber and like them, but stranded cables are lot more easier to route.

Emil

« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2018, 06:11 pm »
That tin plated wire is generally warm.  This is probably best handled in another place.  However, if I could only address it with wire on the tweet and mid, I would use solid 18ga Jupiter to both.

Took Jeff's advive and purchased the Jupiter.

Thanks Jeff

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2018, 06:25 am »
Care to elaborate?

You'll need to be a little more specific.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2018, 06:47 am »
My 2 cents, some speaker builders use internal wiring to adjust the driver timbre after the xover in a finale tweaking.

OSIB16

« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2018, 12:19 pm »
Fullrangeman,
                     Agreed. When Jeff helped me modify/rebuild my Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks I tried different brands and gauges of wire as Jumper Wire to link the jumbo sized Cornell Dubilier Capacitors onto the PCB. I noticed obvious changes in tone between the various wires. Here are my results...

1) NEOTECH 12 AWG TEFLON COPPER STRANDED - (SLIGHTLY ROLLED OFF TREBLE)

2) CARDAS 9.5 AWG COPPER LITZ STRANDED - (VERY ROLLED OFF TREBLE)

3) CARDAS 11.5 AWG COPPER LITZ STRANDED - (EVEN TONAL BALANCE)

4) SOLID SILVER 99.9% RIBBON WIRE 9 AWG - (SLIGHTLY SHARP EDGED TREBLE)

I prefer the slightly bright treble (slightly etched sound quality) that can be found with Naim HiFi amplifiers. So in the end I settled with using the Solid Silver Ribbon as internal jumper wire for the big capacitors.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 19 May 2018, 10:18 pm »
I prefer the slightly bright treble (slightly etched sound quality) that can be found with Naim HiFi amplifiers. So in the end I settled with using the Solid Silver Ribbon as internal jumper wire for the big capacitors.
Thanks for inform. Why used jumping, the capacitor leads were short?